It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Nation Under God, In God We Trust vs Atheists & Satanists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
How do the above 2 foundationss of our government and currency meld with the 'freedom of religion' rights imparted by the First Amendment?

While it's pretty much straight forward for Atheists just skip the theism altogether and not be offended, what about Satanists who worship not God, but the 'Rebel' and thus literally 'Hail SATAN' rather than trust in 'God'

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Huh???

Second

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plantagenet
While it's pretty much straight forward for Atheists just skip the theism altogether and not be offended

The US was founded on secular principles, and ones that made it amazingly apparent that the founders wanted a separation from church and state. The very existence of "in god we trust" in US Currency completely goes against this concept.

Atheists should be as upset that "In God We Trust" is on US currency, as Christians are upset that Satanists want to put "Hail Satan" on US currency.

Of course, it's not just about "atheism", it should be an issue with everyone that any religion has even been mentioned in US Currency.

I'm sure churches wouldn't enjoy being forced to perform things against their religious views. Why should they force their religious views in a government based on secular foundations?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
But doesnt God refer to a Supreme Creator?

freedom of religion is freedom of theism, is it not?
theism being a belief system in Creator or creators

Lest existence have no Creator (and that belief system being atheism, not a theism)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Plantagenet

They are not foundations in anything. They were brought about during the red scare. At least for paper money, think it was on coins longer.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

a 'God' can describe several different things. It doesn't necessarily refer to a supreme creator. However, 'In God We Trust' specifically refers to Christianity.

freedom of religion is freedom of theism, is it not?

No. The two terms are not always interchangeable. You can be a theist, but not have a religion, and you can be religious but not be theistic. There are several religions that are secular (many Buddhists are, for instance).

theism being a belief system in Creator or creators

Again, the terminology of a god can vary from belief system to belief system. Some believe that we are our own gods, some believe that the universe itself is god, and some believe it's necessary to anthropomorphizes gods.

Lest existence have no Creator (and that belief system being atheism, not a theism)

Atheism is not a belief system. It has no systematic principles. There are no universal atheistic beliefs or practices. Atheism is merely a lack of belief in god (not a rejection of one).

Nevertheless, the US was built upon secular foundations.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to argue in this comment of yours?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The pledge of allegiance did not originally mention a god, and "in god we trust" was a propoganda ploy, political oneupmanship during the communist scare.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Good question! And so, "how about them"? What life, liberty or pursuit of happiness are they being "denied"?

Us "believers"..
.."have to suck it up and drive on"... What makes the "sons of Lucifer" better?

Please. Explain your question? Or statement in the guise of a question?

You seem, emotional. I'd like to help you, get past yourself.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
gee-ok I'm fair;

since following one path has led me to 'my destruction'; or so it seems post-911...trust the liars sitting there in a robe in our highest court on a presidential election...Florida chads.

let's see what kind of destruction following the other path I can find?

I lack the confidence in having someone else watch over me...

funny thing through it all; god is way more badass cool than I can make you believe on your own.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Plantagenet

"God" isn't a religion that I am aware of as IT is part of some religions, but not a religion unto itself. It is non-specific and certainly doesn't establish any religion above any other.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: loveguy
funny thing through it all; god is way more badass cool than I can make you believe on your own.

I agree. Thor is pretty badass

You were referring to Thor, right?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: loveguy

I agree. Thor is pretty badass

You were referring to Thor, right?

I thought he was referring to Aradia or Lucifer, but I will take Thor as badass.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I not sure every religion, even if they have one specific god, not goddess, not gods...but one god, would have trusting him as one of the main principles of their religion...
how many times does the religious texts portray someone that is to be feared...can you really fully trust some one you fear?
but then, this day and age, I think maybe it is appropriate that it is on money really. we probably spend more time and energy those little pieces of paper, worrying those little pieces of paper, and spending those little pieces of paper more than anything else...
the fact that we spend so much more time focusing on those little pieces of paper, trusting beyond all reason really, that they are actually worth more than the paper they are printed on, well.... it is most people's gods in my book and well, it's also the definition of faith....

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
[snip]
edit on 12/1/16 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

The "Creator God" is always brought into these discussions. Like that's OK, it's not really a God.

Of course it's the same as any other God.

A God is a God is a God. There are no secular Gods. Creator or otherwise.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Time to be rid of all this ignorant superstitious mumbo jumbo regardless of the "denomination".
Half of your world is burning because of this ignorance & yet humans have the audacity to consider themselves the reason for creation itself.
Pfft, your hubris will be your destruction or for the religulous, "pride goith before the fall".

K~

top topics

join