It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Director Apparently Doesn’t Know How Buying a Gun on the Internet Works

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Gun owners, brace yourselves: this clip may make your blood boil.

In a Senate Judiciary Committee oversight hearing held yesterday, FBI Director James Comey was brought before legislators to primarily discuss the recent terrorist attack in San Bernardino, California. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) began his question-and-answer period with Comey with a seemingly simple question: “If I buy a gun on the internet, is it delivered to my home?”

Comey, perhaps surprised by the question, seemed to stumble. Graham clarified, asking “if I try to buy a gun on the internet, where do I pick it up?”

Looking perplexed, the FBI Director replied “I assume it’s shipped to you, but I don’t know for sure, actually.”

Outdoorhub

What the heck is this crap? The FBI Director thinks you get guns shipped to your doorstep when you purchase them online?
You would think that the FBI Director would understand this process that his agency manages.
When buying a firearm online the firearm is shipped to a Federal Firearms License holder (FFL).
The FFL contacts the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) via phone or computer, a service managed by the FBI, to determine whether the potential transferee is a person prohibited from owning firearms.
The buyer must pass the background check and pick up the firearms directly from the FFL.
If this fool doesn't know that process, he is an example of why Government is so useless.

If you want to see the whole cspan video, it is at the link.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
He's either real ignorant or pretending.

No matter where you purchase a firearm, you have to pick it up at a FFL holders place of business.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

No matter where you purchase a firearm, you have to pick it up at a FFL holders place of business.

He is not pretending. The head of the BATFE did not know this either.

Thus more draconian laws passed.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

I'm Canadian and even I knew that.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Ignorant. Then again most of the people making decisions or "experts" relied on by those making decisions are ignorant.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Wow, astounding.

Better get to ordering a shiny new one off of Amazon right now. Do you think it will come by UPS or USPS? Thanks for the tip on convenience sir!
/sarc btw

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Hmmm. I didn't know how it works either. But I never knew guns could be purchased over the internet. I've never looked, never even considered it for an instant. So I just now did a search and all kinds of gun sites popped up.

But, the FBI Director should know. What a red faced moment.

Learned something new today. I think I'll go shopping....on the net that is.

Holy crap, I even found a lay away site. "Shoot now pay later" at grabagun. Unreal
edit on 11-12-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

You sure about that?

uyers can contact sellers via phone or email to set up the sale, and avoid going through a federal background check or even leaving a paper trail. Such transactions are more anonymous than purchasing a weapon at a gun show, where people who can’t pass a background check can buy large quantities of guns.

Armslist quickly took off. By 2011, it was one of the largest online gun sites in the country, with more than 13,000

www.motherjones.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

You can buy a gun by website, email, auction or whatever but when it comes to actually receiving the firearm, you have to have it shipped to and picked up from a FFL holder.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

You sure about that?

uyers can contact sellers via phone or email to set up the sale, and avoid going through a federal background check or even leaving a paper trail. Such transactions are more anonymous than purchasing a weapon at a gun show, where people who can’t pass a background check can buy large quantities of guns.

Armslist quickly took off. By 2011, it was one of the largest online gun sites in the country, with more than 13,000

www.motherjones.com...

Mother Jones is a horrible source. Any out of state purchase on armslist requires an FFL.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

He knows that's not how it works, but if he pretends that might be the way it works, it's better for the push to ban rifles. If people see the FBI director say that you might be able to buy guns on Amazon, it's scarier. That's the game being played.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

If this fool doesn't know that process, he is an example of why Government is so useless.

True or perhaps that’s a telling sign that the gov't doesn't really care about citizens being armed or taking guns away? If they were really concerned with guns and ammo and it was at there forefront there is no way the FBI director wouldn't be up to speed on that.

The Gun and Ammo industries are a very powerful lobbying group. The only outcome I have seen from Democrats talking about taking guns away is the sales of guns and ammo going through the roof.

Perhaps the DNC and GOP care more about lobbyists money than actually ideals and are working with each other to sell more guns and ammo for the lobbyist?

Naaah . our politicians are known for their ethical and high morals. That would never happen in the US.

New gun laws pass often in the United States. But they usually make guns easier to get.

Follow the money and there is more money to be made by selling and buying guns and ammo than by restricting them.
edit on 361231America/ChicagoFri, 11 Dec 2015 22:36:25 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

This isn't surprising. Most bureaucrats have no real understanding of the markets they regulate. I work in the finance industry and we see this kind of buffoonery out of the CFPB and all the other alphabet departments all the time. They don't really know how things work in the real world, make regulations and laws that are ineffective and often times conflict with other laws and regulations we have to follow.

You'd be suprised at how detached from reality a lot of the people are in regards to their understanding of how things work.
edit on 11-12-2015 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Looking perplexed, the FBI Director replied “I assume it’s shipped to you, but I don’t know for sure, actually.”

Oh my God.

Yea ok people.

That's government, and their doing things 'right'.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Maybe I should email the director about buying some spare full autos and some military grade gear to ship by FexEx. I'll even fax him the money.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
So...I do believe we're dealing with METRO men.....let's check their petticure

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that our FBI Director did not know this! He worked for the DOJ at one time, for goodness sake!

On February 1, 2013, after leaving Bridgewater, he was appointed by Columbia University Law School as a Senior Research Scholar and Hertog Fellow onNational Security Law. (wiki)

He is a Republican appointed by Barack Obama to his current position 2 years ago. Why would Obama appoint a Republican as FBI Director? That is so Un-Obamaesque.

edit on 12-12-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

m having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that our FBI Director did not know this! He worked for the DOJ at one time, for goodness sake!

Just goes to show:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Comey is a smart guy and has a reputation for being fair-minded and without political bias. I'm thinking his not knowing that piece of information stunned himself, as well, and was probably very embarrassing. I'm not going to hold that against him. Bet he knows the entire process now!

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
All you're doing is selecting from a warehouse so the gun dealer can deliver the product you want.

I saw the interview and was like....what?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join