It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard And Princeton Abolish “Masters"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
2 Ivy League schools have dropped an arguably racist title from use on campus.

Harvard University and Princeton University have said they will do away with the title "master," the Yale Daily News reported.
Princeton will change its current title of “master of the residential college” to “head of college,” and Harvard is launching a process to rename the title.

In recent years, students have decried the term's connotation to plantation slavery.

And this fall especially, with the high level of racial tension on many Ivy League campuses, the decision to rename the title seems to be a preemptive move to dispel some of the anger.

Students at Princeton didn't explicitly ask for the title master to be changed, a student who wished to remain anonymous told the YDN.

The Princeton administration decided to make the name change when they heard there would be a sit-in at the president's office that day, according to the student.

At Yale, the title has also been the source of tension, and the YDN called for an end to the title of master at Yale in September.
finance.yahoo.com...

Ok this is where P.C ness and Libs can go off the rails... ferchrissakes you can't just dump words used in different context because of it's negative association in another, what next???.. drop titles like Master Chief, Master Sargent, master electrician etc..sometimes folks on my side of the political spectrum need to get over themselves.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Princeton will change its current title of “master of the residential college” to “head of college,” and Harvard is launching a process to rename the title.

Cannot wait until they change a 'Master's Degree' into a 'Head Degree'.

edit on 7-12-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh the jokes.

Of course, they would be sexist, because I'm a cis gendered spitlord
edit on 7-12-2015 by Mr Headshot because: Piv is rape

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
At least the Bachelor's degree is only sexist.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
At least the Bachelor's degree is only sexist.

I am all for Bachelorette's Degrees as long as I can hand them out dressed as a naughty policeman.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
the problem i have is the connection with slaves and plantations.
While i don't dispute that connection in and of itself, you have must have a persecution/victim fetish if that's the first thing that comes to mind.
Slavery ended what, 200 years ago? how about we all get over it, and not look for reasons to feel oppressed left and right?
Again, you are a special kind of twisted if you hear "master" and immediately think of slavery.
Think about BDSM like a normal person for cryin' out loud
edit on 7/12/2015 by IShotMyLastMuse because: corrected typoes because i type without looking. i'm dangerous like that

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Ultimately, we're going to have to just drop the English language all together. Any idea which language would be PC enough to replace it?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The even have their own website, masters.com. As anyone would figure, its a bunch of white dudes with canes that like to hit stuff.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
Slavery ended what, 200 years ago? how about we all get over it, and not look for reasons so feel oppressed left and right?

I can see your point, but need to observe that 200 years is the wrong figure.
Slavery was only abolished 150 years ago.
They still had segregation 50 years ago. That's all recent enough for memories to be raw.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
The even have their own website, masters.com. As anyone would figure, its a bunch of white dudes with canes that like to hit stuff.

^ GOLDEN

edit on 7-12-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Not surprising really. The educational system has been attempting to pull sports team names for years; claiming that they are " culturally inappropriate & are forms of ethnic stereotyping"...

Pfffffffft... It wont get any better folks. Next thing the Boozer Kruisers will be bit €hing about an AA degre....

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Fair enough.
Didn't know colleges in america are full of students that are in their senior years though.

You see what i mean, sure 50 years is recent, but still far away enough that most of the kids complaining have no clue what it was even like, they just heard stories from older family members, maybe.
I guess my concern is mainly with this PC culture that you see creeping up in the recent years, and i do believe in the slippery slope argument, and as we see more and more, EVERYONE is a victim, even entitled, mostly rich college kids...

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
So now it's head Yoda, not Master Yoda?

and it's the US head Golf tournament, not US Masters Golf Tournament?

and it's Auto head, not Auto Masters?

and it's head home improvement, not Masters home improvement?

and now its head builders association, not master Builders association.

God damn politically correct precious snowflakes and their safe places need to piss off & find another planet I reckon.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I just chucked my MasterCard...

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I'm not sure if it was mentioned on here, but we just went through a teacher in the area attempting to remove "holy" from Silent Night and replace it with "solstice". A parent called into a popular radio show here and all hell broke loose.

Silent night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright

Must be a Wiccan thing.

The school wasn't even aware until they were notified by parents. We're having rogue teachers incorporate their own beliefs or faith when deciding what and how to teach other people's children. It probably happens more than you think. Nothing is sacred.

Link

edit on 7-12-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
Not surprising really. The educational system has been attempting to pull sports team names for years; claiming that they are " culturally inappropriate & are forms of ethnic stereotyping"...

Pfffffffft... It wont get any better folks. Next thing the Boozer Kruisers will be bit €hing about an AA degre....

Depending on the team and what they are about, but Master or Masters is ridiculous. now if one insisted I call him Massa I may have to drop kick his azzz

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

He-man is devastated to now only be the Head of the Universe.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You think it's funny now, wait till its Head Mason instead of Master Mason.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
You think it's funny now, wait till its Head Mason instead of Master Mason.

Oh, that happened a loooong time ago. How do you think I got to my 'high-level'?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: VP740

Binary.

Cold, logical, harsh and has no room for the level of nuance or artistry of English, but it fills all the other boxes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join