It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How popular is Irn Bru outside of the UK?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Irn Bru is the 3rd most popular soft drink in England and the most popular in the country of its creation Scotland.

I am aware that it is sold in other countries including the US but how popular actually is it, have you even heard of it?

Barr, the company that makes it refused to sell out to Coke when Coke got annoyed that they were not No.1 in Scotland much to the annoyance of the world leader in soft drinks.

For those that do not know it is a very orange carbonated soft drink that tastes like nothing else on earth, you could not describe it.

Apparantly only 3 people in the world know the recipe and they never fly on the same plane(not sure I believe that but there you go.)

They have been in trouble over the years for upsetting people with there tv adverts.

The one below is an example of why they sometimes get in trouble. I am pretty sure this is not against terms and conditions as it's a tv advert and is harmless unless you have a dirty mind

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Irn Bru is the 3rd most popular soft drink in England and the most popular in the country of its creation Scotland.

I am aware that it is sold in other countries including the US but how popular actually is it, have you even heard of it?

Never heard of it until now but I was never much of a soda drinker to begin with.

Barr, the company that makes it refused to sell out to Coke when Coke got annoyed that they were not No.1 in Scotland much to the annoyance of the world leader in soft drinks.

A little soft drink trivia for you. The number one selling soda in the United States is not Coke or Pepsi. It is Mountain Dew.

Or at least it was back when I had my restaurants.

edit on 6-12-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The most popular soft drink in America keeps the dentists in business...

Shoot! I didn't wait for permission!

LOL

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

According to this site link Coke and pepsi are still the top brands although another site did say that Mountain dew has an 80% share of the citrus based soft drink market.

You should try irn bru if you ever come across it's the business.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Is Mountain Dew not make by Coke anyway? I'm sure it is and if not i must be thinking of something similar?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Always loved the bru, helped me recover from many a night out

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChosenCorbyn

Is Mountain Dew not make by Coke anyway? I'm sure it is and if not i must be thinking of something similar?

Pepsi makes Mountain Dew.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Well, when I read the OP title I asked myself.."who's Irn Bru?" At least now I know its a soft drink

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria
I don't think any of those are a match for the one I saw a few decades back when the slogan was "Made in Scotland, from girders" (Iron Brew, yes?).
This showed a coach driving off, and a girl running beside it waving goodbye to her boyfriend.
With a resounding clang, she ran into the lamp-post, and bent it.

link   
I would drink it by the 3 litre, when I visit family in Scotland. Over here , it costs $3 for a 375mL bottle and is very hard to source. It stays on my grocer's shelf for about 10 minutes............

link   
a reply to: ChosenCorbyn

I think Coke makes Mellow Yellow.
Similar to Mtn. Dew,not the same though...

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

The clue could have been in the forum it was put in

Where abouts are you they might sell it in your country, you should try it if you can it's beyond description.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

In Ohio at the moment but I lived all over the world and the USA. Hehe, yeah I need to take time to check the forum location, but I literally click on "new" and then on titles...hmm perhaps I am an irresponsible consumer of ATS threads

I will keep an eye out and give it a whirl, hoes it pair with a pepperoni pizza?

Hey Food and Cooking couldn't Irn Bru be a famous English Chef?

edit on 6-12-2015 by BlueJacket because: ETA

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Was it this one?

I was going to use it in the OP but saw the other one and it made me laugh.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

You can actually buy it on Amazon in the US!

It works out at $2.85 for a 16.9 ounce bottle but I have no idea how big a bottle that is in Ml or how expensive it is compared to US drinks in the local shop.

link

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yes, it probably was.
In my visual memory, she is running from left to right, but that may be deceptive. Or another from the same era.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Dagnabit Non now I have a craving for the stuff and the only places I know of is 20 minutes down the road at the British Isles Shoppe and the Rose and Crown Restaurant import counter.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I was drinking it in Portugal in May as well.
They sell cans.

But I drink a 2 litre bottle a day.
Only 99p.

Which is about a dollar 50.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Never heard of it.

I'm a Texan and preffer the best stuff on earth, Dr Pepper!

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

But I drink a 2 litre bottle a day.
Only 99p.

Which is about a dollar 50.

And your pancreas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join