It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUST WATCH: "Racing Extinction" Airs Tonight: a "Global Viewing Event"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Called "Racing Extinction," Academy Award-Winner Louie Psihoyos’s film premieres tonight at 9:00ET on the Discovery Channel in more than 220 countries and territories.

From IFLscience.com

The name is a bit of a giveaway, but here is a brief synopsis: “In Racing Extinction, a team of artists and activists exposes the hidden world of extinction with never-before-seen images that will change the way we see the planet.” Think over-fishing, shark-finning, illegal trade of animal products, whaling, agriculture, etc.

Perhaps one day humans will have the tools to fix some of their mistakes, but an event on this scale cannot be undone. And while we have already passed the point of no return, that is not to say we should give up and continue business as usual. Now is the time for change, to do something, and Discovery’s phenomenal new movie will surely spur the most belligerent of us into action.

This isn't merely another Discovery Channel program, and it’s no coincidence that this coincides with the Paris Climate Conference COP21, which will ultimately decide the fate of our planet. Discovery is calling this a "global viewing event." The producers of this film spent millions and risked their lives to bring it to our attention, and I believe it is absolutely vital that everyone take the time to watch this film tonight.

This is a two hour feature film devoted to uncovering the pure evil driving the 6th mass extinction on Earth- yes- driving it. I hope it serves to inspire action and provide direction on what we can do. Now, before any of the half-witted deniers of the human impact on our planet creep in to waste any more of our precious time with baseless arguments, why not watch the film and then offer your expertise... If you just can't bare that, well just consider this: (Also from IFLScience)

We’re no longer creeping towards the Earth’s sixth mass extinction, nor are we on the cusp of it: we’re IN it.

You’ve probably not even noticed, but it doesn’t take a cataclysmic disaster to trigger one of these events, such as an asteroid impact or supervolcano eruption. Although arguably, there has been a relatively recent catastrophe for our planet: the arrival of humans.

Species are disappearing at 1,000 times the normal background rate of loss. Why? Deforestation, agriculture, anthropogenic climate change, ocean acidification, pollution, and overharvesting, just to name a few.

edit on PMq000000pmWednesday00000012220 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Now, before any of the half-witted deniers of the human impact on our planet creep in to waste any more of our precious time

I guess we know what you think of people that don't agree with you.

I won't be watching it because there is no point. The NWO and the elite have already decided our fate so there is no point in fighting against their global agenda. I will just pay my 'fair share' and try to get by financially.

What choice do I have? We aren't allowed to dissent.
edit on 2015/12/2 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Anyone who stands to say everything's fine and we're not completely trashing our Planet is a "half-wit" at best, and this film will be a testament to that fact. (I'm all for a spirited debate, and I'm not above changing my viewpoint should it be proven false, but this is not an example of one of those times.)

To touch on your other point: Why exactly would you continue to access ATS if that's how you feel? What is the point of watching, learning, thinking, saying or doing anything anymore....?

(Last edit, I promise...) Of course we're not allowed to dissent! Actually, we could do whatever we damn well please, but we're not willing to tear down the convenient death trap we were born into because well... "we'" are just too ignorant, lazy and afraid to start over on our own.
edit on PMq000000pmWednesday00000012220 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

It is commensurate with our maturity as a species that we cease to leave things up to God or fate or something else, and we take up the reigns to secure our long-term existence.

This planet could become a paradise or a hell. The power is in our hands.

Thanks for this, I'll try and watch this.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Thanks for the heads up.

I won't be able to watch it tonight, but hopefully I'll be able to watch it at a later date.

There's no doubt about it, we are poisoning the only home we have.

How much longer before we run short of clean potable water... the same clean potable water that wildlife depends on for their survival too ? We're not only poisoning the oceans and waterways, but our toxins are seeping down into the watertables as well.

And then there's the rapid spread of the urban concrete jungles worldwide, killing off the natural flora and fauna to make way for roads/shopping centres/houses/etc, as well as using up the surrounding empty spaces for landfill garbage dumps.

Or how about the constant need for more arable farming lands (grains, fruits, vegetables, animals) to continue feeding the exponential growth of the human population ? How much more farmland can we squeeze in between the urban jungles to keep us all fed ? There's only so much arable land on the planet.

Deforestation, chemicals, pesticides, waste sewage, landfills, oil spills, nuclear accidents... the list goes on and on.

Ugh.
It's angering to think about.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I'd watch it, just because I do agree that there are things as individuals and as groups of people that we can do to lessen he impact of localized ecosystems.

But to be honest, this seems like it's just going to be an over-hyped attempt to guilt humans into doing something. I'd bet money that there's going to be some political call to action at the end of the show, and if that occurs, that would ruin it for me right there.

I miss the days when shows like this would just be full of education about a topic and end it there for the viewer to make a decision as to what they wanted to do with the new-found knowledge.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

You guys hold all the cards apparently and this is going to happen no matter what I believe. I understand that I am going to be forced to comply with this global power grab. You guys are coming for our money with or without my consent. I don't consent, but I guess I plead no contest.

This is and always has been about the consolidation of power under a globalist agenda and the elite making more money off the little people like me who can ill afford to pay for the higher fees and rates that this will inevitably bring.

This infomercial is strictly about giving us a little lubrication before they stick it to us and maybe brainwashing a few more people to believe it is in their best interest to submit to the NWO.
edit on 2015/12/2 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Looks interesting. Though before looking at the trailer, I thought it was going to be about something else. I was expecting it to focus on things like the super trawlers throughout the oceans; the destruction of ancient forests in favor of cash crops (like for palm oil); and the virtual extinctions of thousands of varieties of vegetation in favor of the commercially acceptable varieties.

I think those types of examples can have a bigger effect on people because they deal with products we purchase everyday.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this, I hope that more people will watch because of this thread.

I would like to urge everyone who 'does' social media (Facebook, twitter, etc) to post this information to their accounts and encourage friends and family to watch and 'pass it along'...

...If you're like me, you've seen that most of the people you know totally have their heads in the sand about this topic, and while it may seem as though there's no point in worrying about it because 'what can ya do?' -

- well, at the very least, the more people who are aware of the situation, the more likely 'something' will start being done by people who do have the ability (money, connections, etc.) to effect change.

I hope no one minds if I share how this affects me on a truly personal level:

When I got pregnant with my daughter (my only child) 18years ago, I said that my only 'specific' (other than general well-being) wish for her was that from an early age she would know what she wanted to 'be' when grown-up, because I wasted so much of my own life due to having no particular interest or 'direction'...

...well, ironically, sadly, considering this extinction event, my wish came true -

- She plans to get a degree in Zookeeping...has known since about age three that she wanted to have a job 'taking care of animals' (she never once played with dolls as a child, the toy doctor kit became part of the "animal care center" she had set up in her room for all her stuffed animal "friends").

She's a senior in high school now and one of her classes is Marine Biology...the past few weeks they've been learning about the 'state' of the oceans -

- it's heartbreaking to see her come home from school every day so depressed because everything is dying, and marine animals aren't even her passion - I can't bear to think how she's going to feel once she starts learning (in depth) about the environmental impact on all the other animals...

....And despite what I wrote above about 'encouraging friends and family to watch this film'...I am torn as to whether I will tell my daughter about it (yet) -

- shouldn't I let her at least have the rest of this school year to dream 'good' dreams about the future her heart has desired for as long as she can remember?

Sorry for 'ranting' in your thread OP...
edit on 2-12-2015 by lostgirl because: spelling

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Woo it's on! It was hard to tear myself away from the San Bernardino news, but after being plugged into it since it began, I had to. To those watching along, let me know what you think!

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Just finished watching it, and I have to say I did learn a few things, and I did get that chill you get when you're reminded that people, (and likely the entire ecosystem) is totally screwed. But honestly, I wasn't really all that impressed.

Maybe that's indicative of my being desensitized to the subject, since I "realized" the weight of what's going on months ago, which actually caused a bit of a break-down for me at the time. Maybe it's because I'm a disgusting human tumor like the rest of us and I can't really grasp it... but it was more beautiful and "cool" in its cinematography that it was "shocking" or "moving."

I'm going with the tumor bit though.

edit on PMq000000pmWednesday000000121020 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aqualung2012
Just finished watching it, and I have to say I did learn a few things, and I did get that chill you get when you're reminded that people, (and likely the entire ecosystem) is totally screwed. But honestly, I wasn't really all that impressed.

Maybe that's indicative of my being desensitized to the subject, since I "realized" the weight of what's going on months ago, which actually caused a bit of a break-down for me at the time. Maybe it's because I'm a disgusting human tumor like the rest of us and I can't really grasp it... but it was more beautiful and "cool" in its cinematography that it was "shocking" or "moving."

I'm going with the tumor bit though.

I thought that it was really good for a documentary. The scale of the shark finning was the thing that struck me.

That being said, I already knew of what we in first world countries have been, and are still polluting and supporting industry (like livestock farming) that are ecologically damaging and inefficient. It is easy to blame China and small third world nations but we need to change our ways, too!

I loved the idea of projecting informational videos onto city buildings. I agree that education is key.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yeah what the hell ever.

Totally IGNORE the natural cycle has been continual destruction, and renewal which has been happening for EONS.

The face of the planet has changed massively. Plants, animals have come, and gone. Long before mankind ever got here.

Another propaganda hit piece trying to guilt people for what ever reason.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Anyone who stands to say everything's fine and we're not completely trashing our Planet is a "half-wit" at best, and this film will be a testament to that fact. (I'm all for a spirited debate, and I'm not above changing my viewpoint should it be proven false, but this is not an example of one of those times.)

George Carlin said it best:

"I’m tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is that there aren’t enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world safe for Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don’t give a # about the planet. Not in the abstract they don’t. You know what they’re interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They’re worried that some day in the future they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn’t impress me.

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles … hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages … And we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE are!

We’re going away. Pack your #, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas."

top topics

join