It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trophy hunters are killing 70,000 animals ever year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Here's a sobering statistic,ATS. According to this article, on average, 70,000 animals are killed each year by trophy hunters. 70,000! Apparently, in the Bay Area for example, there are only 4 inspectors who only get to inspect only 50% of the trophies sent back to the US.

Over the past 15 years, 1.2 million animals have been killed by Americans who traveled overseas to snag their trophies, according to a thoroughly chilling investigation by NBC Bay Area.
That breaks down to about 70,000 animals each year. Many of these animals are endangered, threatened or near-threatened species.

"When Walter Palmer gunned down Cecil the lion in July, 69 other African lions were being slaughtered by U.S. trophy hunters that month. In the last 15 years,7,297 lion trophies were brought back to the U.S."

Are animal populations being wiped out faster than they can replenish? Should we be worried, ATS?

www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 23-11-2015 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The world really needs those animals right now. If there's any way out of this mess we're all in on our planet Earth, its going to take every species we've got.

How can we make it taboo to privately display these trophies, so as to discourage wanting to go out and bag a big one?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Trophy Hunters are all d*cks...

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Dang it , who would want...say a zebra trophy. So dumb

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

What we are doing to this world is scary,if you have not seen it check out intrepids threads there will be one on a documentary called sharkwater....it is a much watch kind a thing...I would link it but I m on a stupid tablet....

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Seems low... I would have thought it would be much higher than that.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
About 18,000 or more cows are slaughtered in America each day according to the USDA, your right, we have a population to feed only keeping the heads are irresponsible.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
IMO, trophy hunters are psychotic, sociopathic, cowardly SOB’s. If they were to legalize the hunting of other humans today based on ethnic group, or whatever, these jerks would be out before dawn tomorrow hiding behind bushes, waiting to draw a good bead on some unsuspecting person leaving their house to go to work. Then, of course, they’d have to have a photo op of them standing heroically over the dead, bleeding person’s carcus, and afterword have the head stuffed to put over the mantle for others to enjoy, as well.

As far as I’m concerned, I wish they’d take these psychos and give them each a knife, just to make it fair, and then lock them one at a time in a cage with a hungry Bengal Tiger.

Humans are a cruel, blood-thirsty bunch. We rape this planet in every imagineable way. If we blow ourselves up one day in a thermonuclear apocalypse we’ll be doing the rest of this world a huge favor...

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Here's a link to Intrepid's thread

I actually find this more reprehensible than shooting a lion. Lion's are far easier to like, but mutilating a shark and leaving it to drown, causing it to suffer is just disgusting.

I don't have a problem with people humanely killing animals as long as they aren't endangered. I think the author of the article was a bit of a twat, complaining about Americans hunting deer and birds.

If you're going to kill something, do it humanely. Don't kill things you shouldn't just because a shady government says you can if you pay enough money. You're a huge pussy if you go out and shoot a lion to show off. If you're a ridiculously rich hunter, and something big ACTUALLY needs to be culled, and you paying for the right to kill it helps preserve nature, fine. I think you're a douchebag for wanting to kill something for sport alone, but fine.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: netbound
IMO, trophy hunters are psychotic, sociopathic, cowardly SOB’s. If they were to legalize the hunting of other humans today based on ethnic group, or whatever, these jerks would be out before dawn tomorrow hiding behind bushes, waiting to draw a good bead on some unsuspecting person leaving their house to go to work. Then, of course, they’d have to have a photo op of them standing heroically over the dead, bleeding person’s carcus, and afterword have the head stuffed to put over the mantle for others to enjoy, as well.

As far as I’m concerned, I wish they’d take these psychos and give them each a knife, just to make it fair, and then lock them one at a time in a cage with a hungry Bengal Tiger.

Humans are a cruel, blood-thirsty bunch. We rape this planet in every imagineable way. If we blow ourselves up one day in a thermonuclear apocalypse we’ll be doing the rest of this world a huge favor...

Very , very well said.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I don't in any way condone trophy hunting, but it does have it's benefits. Realistically, many of the endangered animals that are hunted would likely be extinct already if it were not such a lucrative business to make sure there is a "stock" (gagged a lil typing that) of them to hunt.

These majestic beasts do not die in vain. The money from the hunts actually fund the sanctuaries in place, without it they would shut down. I wish it didn't happen at all, but just wanted to point out that there is more, and some actual positive, behind these hunts than just the sick satisfaction of some psycho wanting to kill something stronger than them.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Sounds like these numbers are all from legal hunting.

If that's the case, wouldn't that make the Government or whoever manages wildlife in these areas the ones who determine how many animals can be killed per year?

And if the numbers are too high that it starts to negatively impact the wildlife, then those in charge are the ones to blame.

Yes I get the supply/demand argument but still, the brunt of the blame falls on those mismanaging these areas.

I'm an avid bow hunter, but I only hunt for food and detest wasting anything from what I harvest. Game is almost always shared with family and friends.

Proper management and hunting can help a local population flourish.
Trophy hunting, not so much.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Yeah its a disgrace and I agree with you 100%...killing animals for sport is reprehensible.....

Thank you linking the thread... Watching sharkwater made my blood boil,It really made me ashamed to be part of the human race..

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Some, very few, trophy hunting I condone.

But the worst type is government sanctioned with heavy license fees targeted only to the wealthy. Usually for endangered species. Aka, Africa as a whole.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   

I don't have a problem with people hunting for food and using the ENTIRE animal for sustenance.

But why in the 21st Century do people feel the need to execute an animal at 300 yards with a high powered rifle? How much of a "hunter" are they?

How about this -- we give them a trophy and call them hunter if they strip down and use a knife only.

Stalk up on them, unseen, unheard, unscented, and take the animal down. Now THAT i would actually watch as a TV show.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
and your point OP? not to be insensitive, or meaning to sound sarcastic. BUT!!!! over 2 million people die every year due to animals, everything from attacks to contracting something from them, sooooo, I don't feel too bad about the numbers game, sounds like they're winning to me.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: gunshooter
and your point OP? not to be insensitive, or meaning to sound sarcastic. BUT!!!! over 2 million people die every year due to animals, everything from attacks to contracting something from them, sooooo, I don't feel too bad about the numbers game, sounds like they're winning to me.

Your post was not insensitive it was retarded, we are not at war with animals

You may think we are and I am fairly certain the rest of nature thinks humans are at war with them considering we destroy their habitats and kill them at will even for fun/sport/hunting.....

I am not even going into how many species we decimate so we can continue outdated farming practices to feed the masses.... Oh and 8 million people die every year from hunger so animal's are not nearly as much of a threat to the human race than humans are to themselves.... Go figure

Posts Like yours remind me why I like animals so much more than people......ugh
edit on 24-11-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Trophy hunters also contribute millions of dollars a year for preservation, study and overall well being of the animals.

I've seen first hand the devastating effects of disease on deer population due to overcrowding..

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: HooHaa
Trophy hunters also contribute millions of dollars a year for preservation, study and overall well being of the animals.

I've seen first hand the devastating effects of disease on deer population due to overcrowding..

Because how could nature possibly survive without money right

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Nothing in this world disgusts me, and infuriates me more than people who harm creatures and destroy our environment.

I would have these despicable beings stripped naked, left in a Savannah with some big cats, see them hunted, terrorised, torchere'd and eaten.

No loss to humanity in my opinion, bloody waste of oxygen, rotten cowards !
Pffffffffttt gee it makes me angry !

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join