It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Pushes For $600 Million Response To Heroin Epidemic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Senator Pushes For $600 Million Response To Heroin Epidemic

“The opioid crisis is spiraling out of control,” Shaheen said in a statement. “This should be an all-hands-on-deck moment, not just for New Hampshire, but for our country. We are losing lives daily and our first responders, healthcare providers and criminal justice system are overwhelmed. To stem the tide, we urgently need additional funding for prevention, treatment and recovery efforts, and this legislation would provide resources to those on the frontlines.”

The specifics of the bill, which were shared with The Huffington Post, make clear that Shaheen doesn’t view the fight against the epidemic strictly through a law-and-order lens. The Department of Justice would receive $200 million to fund local and state programs related to law enforcement as well as prevention and education. But the biggest tranche of funding, $250 million, would be devoted to the Department of Health and Human Services to support state programs related to prevention, treatment and recovery.

Additionally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institute on Drug Abuse would receive $50 million and $35 million, respectively, to monitor prescription drug programs and do targeted research on drug addiction. Other money would be set aside for community service programs, school safety measures and local law enforcement agencies in areas with heavy addiction levels.

I see this as a good step in the right direction, but it isn't going to fix the problem since we still aren't addressing the elephant in the room here that is the War on Drugs. The PROBLEM Is that addicts know they are addicts, but are scared to seek out treatment because they could go to jail, lose their jobs, or both. Most drug treatments start with the person getting arrested for using. Never mind that addiction is classified as a disease and we are effectively doing the same as jailing someone who gets diabetes for over-eating. Then we pretend like we should be addressing the problem when it gets out of control.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that heroin should be legal, but it damn well should be decriminalized. I don't mind continuing to jail the sellers of the drug, but users should only get fines and referrals to addiction treatment centers. Let's look at Portugal as a model example of what to do instead of just throwing money at the problem like the politician in the OP is trying to do.

Why hardly anyone dies from a drug overdose in Portugal

Now, numbers just released from the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction paint an even more vivid picture of life under decriminalization: drug overdose deaths in Portugal are the second-lowest in the European Union.

Among Portuguese adults, there are 3 drug overdose deaths for every 1,000,000 citizens. Comparable numbers in other countries range from 10.2 per million in the Netherlands to 44.6 per million in the U.K., all the way up to 126.8 per million in Estonia. The E.U. average is 17.3 per million.

Clearly SOMETHING they are doing is working. Let's listen to them instead of pretending like Portugal's situation isn't comparable to the states.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
How about Meth too? It is a huge problem, and getting worse everyday. We need more treatment centers, instead of just throwing everyone in jail.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
the uk is now flooded with heroin to ,young girls among the users it is quite heart breaking to see these young girls
injecting this ##it.
now heroin does not grow here so who is supplying this poisen ?
are western nations being destabilised by targeting the youth ?
heroin is now one of the cheapest street drugs in the uk so they get more bang for the buck.
here lies the problem heroin £10 heroin £50-40 coc aine £20 marijuana

governments worldwide need to start addressing the flood of heroin into their countries as i do not think this is going to end well

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

This is a good point. Meth is a rapidly rising drug that needs to be addressed, but keep in mind the heroin epidemic is a direct result of cracking down on opiate pill distribution. All the people with shady prescriptions (or no prescriptions) self-medicating or taking it just because got kicked off their easy access to a highly addictive medicine so they had to see the next available alternative.

I DO agree with that crackdown, but that is definitely something that should be taken into consideration when discussing this heroin epidemic. And as you mentioned, it is putting other drugs that could be just as serious, if not worse, on the sidelines to continue their community wrecking activities uninhibited (except for DEA crackdowns, which make the situation worse anyways).

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It's about time to fight this issue logically. Good on him.

Related: Top cop takes new anti-heroin approach

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I heard about this in NHPR today (I live in NH and the drug epidemic is very visible when driving through my town and surrounding areas).

The root problems of this problem are tough to pin-point, but they say about 80% of those who become addicted to heroin started on some sort of prescription medication first.

People will use heroin and other substances if they are depressed, isolated, and have any other types of mental health issues that further drive people to seek external relief.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien

Afghanistan went from barely exporting opium/heroin in 2000 to being the world's top exporter of opium/heroin after we invaded that country in 2001. Like it is now currently it's TOP export crop.

The Spoils of War: Afghanistan’s Multibillion Dollar Heroin Trade

Interpret that information however you want.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

What happens if the fields are burned and neutralized with a solution that will not allow these crops to grow anymore? And allows new crops to grow instead? Science required

But with a product that gets to cost more then gold per ounce, its observed how some of those in position to, don't.

Burn the fields the real wars start and are finished

Assessed zombie like response (will seek prescription distribution aid so must consider also) from those in extreme withdraw from product and money generated, approx 7-14 months from point of crop burns to global inventory depletion.
aggressive response potentials from product and money addicts that may seem terroristic
rehab and care centers required as well as job assistance programs to help re employ part of global population currently un sustained and attached to product or money.
aggressive response from sources/ response wars like
mankind freed from potential one or more manufactured substances designed to also keep the elite ahead.
health increase
crimes down
old world ways deleted potential global "sky net" like drones response to fields AFTER SUFFICIENT WARNINGS PLACED DECLARED
money recovered
minerals recovered-

world chess board eliminated chess board fertilizes new world-

If no field deletions then... Chess game stays in play money moves globally from illegal hands to what seem to be legal hands covered in lies.

Causing ... ... ...

Man of all race at bottom of global social pyramid schemes REMAINS indefinitely slave to elite

Transmitted

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It's actually cheaper for our governments to have treatment instead of incarceration.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
the uk is now flooded with heroin to ,young girls among the users it is quite heart breaking to see these young girls
injecting this ##it.
heroin is now one of the cheapest street drugs in the uk so they get more bang for the buck.

governments worldwide need to start addressing the flood of heroin into their countries as i do not think this is going to end well

Can we say "Afganistan"? The heroin trade is booming.

Source: www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
injecting this ##it.

Since the US occupation of Afghanistan, Heroin is a bigger world wide problem. Here in the states… UK too, huh?

The UK financed the crown jewels from the opium wars in China. Now they are going to make money fixing the addiction problem, too?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The elephant in the room is all the little heroin pills that lead to heroin use. I know too many full grown, sucessful adults who started with those pills and then became full blown heroin addicts. That's the epidemic surrounding heroin. Without those pills these people would have never put a needle in their arm, lost their jobs, homes, families, and friends.

Big Pharma is the problem along with the war on drugs.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
A town in Massachusetts stops arresting drug users

From the Gloucester Police Chief's FaceBook page:

- Any addict who walks into the police station with the remainder of their drug equipment (needles, etc) or drugs and asks for help will NOT be charged. Instead we will walk them through the system toward detox and recovery. We will assign them an "angel" who will be their guide through the process. Not in hours or days, but on the spot. Addison Gilbert and Lahey Clinic have committed to helping fast track people that walk into the police department so that they can be assessed quickly and the proper care can be administered quickly.

SOURCE

I grew up next to the city of Gloucester, and opiate abuse is really really bad there. From what I've heard, this program has helped lower the number of overdoses significantly. This police chief is a pioneer for starting a program like this (at least in this country) and police departments should implement similar policies IMMEDIATELY.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So, you mean to suggest, instead of treating a drug addict as a worthless criminal, who deserves to be in jail, who caused this all by themselves, and in turn need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps - you're suggesting we treat a drug addict, as a - gasp - DRUG ADDICT, who needs mental help?

You don't say...

Someone shut this guy up! We got a lot of money invested over here!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien

The US military, at one point, would station troops in order to protect and guard poppy fields.

Opium. One of the most hardcore and addictive substances. A multi-multi-multi billion dollar industry, and it just so happens we need to be there militarily to protect muh fwedumbs?

Just a coincidence!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I live next door in Maine. I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is a full blown epidemic. Overdoses everyday, people dying on park benches, in store parking lots. It really is crazy to see. What I've found is most, if not all of it is being moved into these states by New York and Massachusetts residents. The major ports in Boston and New York makes them the ideal distribution hubs. You have to stop it at it's source and work from there. You'll never stop drugs at the street level. This has been our governor's response. Mandatory minimums on possession, limit treatment programs. He's even gone so far as to make it a crime to call an ambulance for your friend if he OD's. I have no clue how they plan to actually effectively combat this epidemic, but I hope they figure it out sooner rather than later.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I don't disagree with you analysis. We absolutely should not criminalize drug addiction. We should treat it like the medical issue that it is, and hospitalize. Unless you treat medical problem with prison time.

That aside, i have 2 observations:

- The real elephant in the room is the source of the heroin. Its not a secret. Its just that no one really wants to admit it....our government is the global kingpin.
- I can't support any further money being allocated to law enforcement efforts in addressing a drug epidemic. You don't use a hammer on everything. Sometimes you have to use a screwdriver or wrench.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

What happens if the fields are burned and neutralized with a solution that will not allow these crops to grow anymore? And allows new crops to grow instead? Science required

Apparently the soil is too salty to grow anything else.
When Kajakai dam was built in 1953 it raised the salt to the surface. The land is f##ked so to speak.
And now that Afghanistan is addicted to the profits from opium....well try taking that off them.
Not to mention who else that benefits from the chaos that ensues. No easy answers Im afraid.
Decriminalize and treat it as a health issue I spose like "Mary Jane",otherwise the profits will go to the prison makers.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ngatikiwi

Apparently the soil is too salty to grow anything else.
When Kajakai dam was built in 1953 it raised the salt to the surface. The land is f##ked so to speak.

Understood sediment unstable for growth of a product that can sustain the Afghan people.
When 1 considers the Conspiracy theories associated with climate manipulation - atmospheric seeding and sediment altering, it seems there is some sciences that can be used to re adjust the sediment so that it is more productive for other crops to grow that may help bring the Afghan people up more financially into the world arenas...

And now that Afghanistan is addicted to the profits from opium....well try taking that off them.

Not the goal to further oppress the people of Afghanistan.
Maybe the optimism 1 has for humanity and its high technologies is to high at times. But I think if the world worked as one it is possible...

Not to mention who else that benefits from the chaos that ensues. No easy answers Im afraid.
Decriminalize and treat it as a health issue I spose like "Mary Jane",otherwise the profits will go to the prison makers.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: peacenotgreed
A town in Massachusetts stops arresting drug users

From the Gloucester Police Chief's FaceBook page:

- Any addict who walks into the police station with the remainder of their drug equipment (needles, etc) or drugs and asks for help will NOT be charged. Instead we will walk them through the system toward detox and recovery. We will assign them an "angel" who will be their guide through the process. Not in hours or days, but on the spot. Addison Gilbert and Lahey Clinic have committed to helping fast track people that walk into the police department so that they can be assessed quickly and the proper care can be administered quickly.

SOURCE

I grew up next to the city of Gloucester, and opiate abuse is really really bad there. From what I've heard, this program has helped lower the number of overdoses significantly. This police chief is a pioneer for starting a program like this (at least in this country) and police departments should implement similar policies IMMEDIATELY.

This is the way and probably the only way to approach the problem at the "moment" without filling prisons, which never works anyway and only profits the prison industrial complex.

Long term - Another way is to legalise it, not decriminalise it, legalise it.
Take the profit away from it, allow people to grow opium for personal use only. Make it illegal to sell barter or trade.
It then becomes a hassle to grow and process for most and the incentive to "push" it be comes nil, cause theres no profit in it.
Then treat it as a health issue. It will become a novelty drug eventually and will have no "status" anymore.

There will always be drugs out there though, thats just humans for ya.
We can only limit them, and will never eradicate them.

Good on the Gloucester Police Dept though....Kudos

top topics

<<   2 >>

join