It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing photographs of the only surviving Horten 229 V3

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Some cool shots of the Horten 229 V3 that is in the Smithsonian's NASM's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center waiting for full restoration. Only 3 V3's were ever built and only one survives today in the Smithsonian's possession. The center section of the 229 was also studied by Northrop Grumman in the early 80's during the development of the B-2. In 2008, a full size mock-up was created by Northrop Grumman for use in a documentary and to test on the companies radar cross section test facility in Tejon, CA.

www.warhistoryonline.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
i love this plane to me it looks like the american stealth bomber,
funny that the germans jumped at least 60 years ahead of the rest of the world
in fact the only reason your in space is because of the germans and i would go further and state all america's
missiles stem from german tech.
they went from bayonets to rockets in a very small space of time..
edit on 20-11-2015 by stuthealien because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien

Uhm, except they didn't. Jack Northrop was flying similar designs at least as early, if not earlier than the Germans were.

They excelled at rockets, but all their Aviation designs had similar designs being studied in other countries.
edit on 11/20/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

At the end of WWII in 1945, von Braun and hundreds of other German rocket experts surrendered to the Americans. They were sent to Fort Bliss, Texas, to develop rocket technology for U.S. Army research. While von Braun and his team continued to work on the V-2 rocket at Fort Bliss, von Braun dreamed about developing a rocket that could travel to other planets.

as you will see in the link also it was stuhlinger who was the inventor of the ion propulsion engine and also showed them a working prototype in a vacuum before they moved him back to rockets nasa has edited this page to remove the fact he showed them a working prototype before removing him back to rockets and i my self say the ion engine become black project
and as your aware zaphod they use the ion propulsion today...source

this is a case of america claiming tech they did not create i would however like to look at your disputing evidence
edit on 20-11-2015 by stuthealien because: and ,also wrong way round

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien

In studying the origins of interest in electric propulsion, Stuhlinger learned that the American rocket pioneer, Dr. Robert Goddard, had examined the subject as early as 1906. Goddard had mentioned the possibility of accelerating electrically charged particles to very high velocities without the need for high temperatures.

Skipped that part did we? Or ignored it because it didn't fit.

As I said, the US, UK, and Germany were all working on jet engines at the same time. Jack Northrop and the Horton brothers were both working on flying wings at the same time.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I think the Brits were developing flying wings at the same time as the Germans.

There's a strange tendency to over-egg Nazi aircraft design. The Horton design was just one of a number of failed Nazi prototypes or models that were developed haphazardly in an frantic attempt to die slower. That is to say, had the Nazi's properly invested, then they may have produced a design that worked and extended the pain by a day, or two. Too little too late.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Sometimes, I have to re assure myself that Nazi's were actually real.
I mean look at that thing, looks like something straight out of science fiction.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Some more pics and words on this incredible machine. Always loved this machine. Probably because my family on my mothers side are Horten.

Worlds first flying wing

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
Sometimes, I have to re assure myself that Nazi's were actually real.
I mean look at that thing, looks like something straight out of science fiction.

Piloting that thing must have been a blast. look how close the engines are to the Pilots seat.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

There's a lot of debate as to who truly flew the first flying wing. It's an interesting topic and fun debate.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

They were unstable as hell in the early days.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There's a lot of debate as to who truly flew the first flying wing. It's an interesting topic and fun debate.

If you look back at mans early attempts at flight, you know the ones. The "flapping wing, jump off a bridge and hope for the best machines", you could say some of those were a type of flying wing or plummeting wing, whichever way you wish to look at it.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They were unstable as hell in the early days.

Oh i know..

link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

no i did not skip it ,he actually showed them a working prototype in a vacuum before they moved him back to rockets but they have edited that page i have been following this for at least 2 years .wish i had saved it now.
anyway i am english but blatantly editing the truth and claiming stuff they did not make is wrong.

link   
The wing design was developed by Germany to save weight by eliminating the need for a fuselage in long flights (across the Atlantic) to bomb New York.

It turns out it was stealthy too, but having been conceptualized before radar makes it clear stealth wasn't its primary function.

Saving fuel was.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
we do have the category of flying wing-ish early flyers for example junkers g38

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
i love this plane to me it looks like the american stealth bomber,
funny that the germans jumped at least 60 years ahead of the rest of the world
in fact the only reason your in space is because of the germans and i would go further and state all america's
missiles stem from german tech.
they went from bayonets to rockets in a very small space of time..

American Robert Goddard flew the first liquid fuel rockets, so the Germans advances stem from that.
It is neither here nor there. Wars promote scientific advancement. The space race between the Soviets and the US was just a part of the Cold War, and we saw great scientific advancement then.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
In the late 80s I was in Washington on a special mission and on our day off we got some people to get us access to the area where the Smithsonian keeps all the planes they feel is not socially acceptable to put on display and the ones they are rebuilding and this was one of them. They actually make original tools and material and work on these planes the same way it was done originally, really cool to see.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Question?? What was the plane in Indiana Jones and the Ark of the covenant? Was this an imaginary german plane or based on a real plane as this was a flying wing but used propellers?

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

It was created for the movie and loosely based on the 229:

The Nazi Flying Wing seen in the film was not a real plane. Raiders production designer Norman Reynolds designed the plane for the film, based on historical Northrop Corporation designs and drawings by Ron Cobb of the Horten Ho-2-29. It also resembles the Lippisch Li-P.04-106, a concept fighter studied by Germany toward the end of World War II.

The Flying Wing was built by Vickers, and was painted in London at EMI Elstree Studios. In order to ship the unwieldy prop to Tunisia, it had to be disassembled and sent piecemeal before being reconstructed on location.[2]

indianajones.wikia.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join