It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need W10 Shortcut to a folder on my Cell Phone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Google isn't much help.
I have to download photos from my android to my windows 10 daily.
It's a real pain to have to click so many times before I get to the folder.
One shortcut on my w10 desktop would be so much help.
Any Ideas?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: samkent

Go to the file, right click and pick from the pop up menu. It should let you make a short cut to the file on your desktop. When I plugged mine in to the USB port on my desk top, it offered me a "phone companion" app to download. Works great with my HTC One M8
edit on 19-11-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
No right click options to create any shortcuts.
I've made many a shortcuts to all sorts of places.
But when it comes to the phone NADA.

I think it has something to do with android emulating a flash drive structure for the benefit of windows.
It looks and acts like a normal folder structure.
Just no shortcuts.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Why not use Dropbox on your PC and phone and let Dropbox automatically sync the files? It's free and keeps the files synced, no headache or multi-click required.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I've never used dropbox so I don't know how it works.
But
Each appliance repair I do every day may have as many as 5 pictures.
These pictures get stored in folders unique to each repair. The folder and folder name is generated by the computer database.
The business database can then locate and email any picture along with that customers complete repair information.
It's not a willy nilly slap them in a giant folder thing.
It's extremely organized.
After a couple of months I have to delete hundreds of photos from my phone.

Can dropbox work that way?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Yes. You can create as many folders on Dropbox as you like, and they will be synced that way on your PC. The only downfall is it will use up your phone's data since it has to upload the images from your phone to Dropbox. If the images aren't very large, and/or you have a good data plan, then it won't be much of a problem.

And since Dropbox is free, it doesn't hurt to try it out to see if it would work for your situation.

I did some more searching and presently it doesn't appear possible to do what you are asking (creating a shortcut on your PC to a folder on Android) as they are two different file systems.

If the data usage on Dropbox doesn't sound like an option, then another thing you can do is share the files between PC and Android over your local network. This article shows how to do it:

Share files between Android and Windows with ES File Explorer

I use ES File Explorer and Dropbox to sync images and files between my Android and PC.

edit on 19-11-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hmmm
Can my computer create the folders or do I have to do that?
Cuz right now the computer creates the folder if it doesn't exist. And will open it so I can just drag and drop.
I have to look at the time stamp on the picture and relate it to the exact repair order number and drop them into that one folder.
If I have 5 customers that day then I have 5 folders and up to 25 pictures that have to make it to the correct folders.
One lost/misplaced picture can be no payment for that customer.

I have found that doing real work on the phone can take much longer than on a PC.
So I am skeptical.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Do you plug your phone into the pc via a usb cable?
If so, open explorer (has win10 got that?) find your phone and drag a shortcut to your desktop.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: samkent
Can my computer create the folders or do I have to do that?

On my phone, I have a shortcut within ES File Explorer directly to Dropbox. When I create a folder and put files into that folder, I just use ES File Explorer to copy that folder with files to Dropbox.

On your PC, Dropbox will automatically download (creating if necessary) those folders with files.

Anything you upload either via PC or Android will be synced to any other device in the exact file structure that you uploaded it. If you create the folders/files on PC, they will be synced that way on your phone and vice versa.

It really doesn't get much more automated than that. And once you try it, you'll wonder how you lived without it.

On another note, you can hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor to your phone, your phone becomes easier and quicker to do actual work with.

You can use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse while plugging directly into a monitor. Or you can get a USB hub and use a USB keyboard and mouse while plugging into a monitor.

Then your phone becomes the mini-PC that it really is. And depending on your phone, your phone's manufacturer may already have a dock that your phone sets in with ports for keyboard, mouse, monitor.

edit on 19-11-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Can't you use a USB cable to connect your phone to your PC. Your PC sees the phone as a USB drive, and you can copy files across that way.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Can't you use a USB cable to connect your phone to your PC. Your PC sees the phone as a USB drive, and you can copy files across that way.

That's how I have been doing it.
But I hate 'navigating' to the sub folder in the phone.
I can make shortcuts to folders on my hard drive.
I can make shortcuts to folders on my USB drive.
I CAN'T make a shortcut to a folder on my phone.

I'm going to look into google drive.
But if it takes more than 5 clicks I'm no better off.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Unless your Business database software supports dropbox of google drive, you are probably going to be disappointed. Would removing the memory card and connecting it to your PC work. I am almost positive you can then create the shortcut you want.

top topics

join