It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software Patents! Thanks E.U.but no thanks..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I ran a search after watching click online,that's when I found this article..Is Europe picking up bad ideas from it's advissary,and competitor the ol US of A..??.
Is'nt this reminiscent of the new 'Improoved' Patriot's Act.I posted a threat about that some time ago..Software patents would be negative for most of us. In fact, even some of those who demand or defend software patents today would deeply regret it later. It would only be too late then.As a matter of fact our beloved ATS site would have a fee and our commander in chief would probably have no choice but to impose such a thing,as He himself would have a hefty bill to pay...

Under the influence of the patent system and big industry lobbyists, the European Union is on the verge of making a huge mistake: to pass a law that would legalize software patents.If that happens, you will pay dearly. Europe's software industry will fall victim to unscrupulous extortioners. A cartel of large corporations will crush smaller competitors. Consequently, we will all pay more money for less good and less secure software. You personally, your household, your company, your government, all of us. You'll know when you get the bill. When someone breaks into your computer, reads your E-mails, and steals the password of your bank account. When your computer crashes every day. When spam doesn't stop. When prices go up and companies shut down. When people lose their jobs.

Click online.
The term "patent mafia" is not meant to insult any particular person or institution. It's an allusion to the structural deficiencies of the patent system and increasingly unethical conduct by some people.The patent bureaucracy has become a "state within the state". Although Europe prides itself in the separation of powers, that principle is hardly applied to the patent regime. The European Patent Office, for instance, has semi-legislative authority and an executive function, yet it is under no independent jurisdiction nor under any parliamentary control. If you want to appeal any decision by the EPO, all you can do is file a complaint with them. Even the worst dictatorships try to at least give themselves a more democratic appearance. Since the EPO finances itself through its fees, it obviously has an interest in extending patentability, like an octopus that tries to reach out and grab as much as possible.

Full Story.

Software patents would be negative for most of us. In fact, even some of those who demand or defend software patents today would deeply regret it later. It would only be too late then...

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Why are you complaining about something that has already been blocked?

www.euobserver.com...

Certain software producers lobbied their national governments to propose a pan-EU policy, the subject has been examined, a proposal put before the EU bodies and it has now been rejected.

Surely that is the EU functioning in a satisfactory manner?

What's to complain about?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well,Hi there sminkey..I knew I'd here from you..thanks to inform me..See I recieved this piece of news yesrterday as I said while watching the click on line programm,well not the exact link but hey that's as close I could come to what I've heard in the last ten in of the show...

So what was that all about then??..
I've put a link to the whole prog..I think I should watch it completely and come back to you..
Did you see it??...

I've read your link & you're right... oops..OK.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by Horus_Re]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Horus_Re
Well,Hi there sminkey..I knew I'd here from you..thanks to inform me

- Glad I didn't disappoint!

I've read your link & you're right... oops..OK.

- NP.

I'll admit the EU and it's methods can be pretty labyrithine but it's nice to be able to point to an example where it has all worked out well.

No doubt there may be other attempts at this in various guises, so we have to keep our eyes open.
Usual story, money seeking more money, always has done probably always will...... but the EU does seem to have regard for some of the other qualities in life beyond naked and ruthless commerce.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
That was a pretty extensive and detailed site,it came over to me as a serious matter,they were basically begging for help..I'm glad it' over for now but as you said we must be aware...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horus_Re
I'm glad it's over for now but as you said we must be aware...

- Here's the very latest on the matter, things have just taken a big move away from patents; it's not totally over yet but it's looking very encouraging and is (I think you'll agree) good news

Opponents of software patent laws in Europe are celebrating today following their victory of the hotly contested directive on 'computer-implemented' inventions. A vote by a key EU Committee has decided to look at the whole process again.

A vote taken at a meeting of JURI, the EU Committee on Legal Affairs Commission, the initiative to have a restart met with massive support, and with barely a handful of votes in opposition.......

.....Eva Lichtenberger, Austrian Member of the Legal Affairs Committee, said: 'Today's courageous decision introduces the possibility of a better solution. I am very happy that we now have an opportunity to prevent software patenting and to obtain a better directive that will benefit the whole of the industry. We may now be able to stop market giants - aided by an American-style patenting law - from forcing innovators and SMEs out of the market.'

www.pcpro.co.uk...

Congratulations to the EU for backing the right side and the good guys this time, hmm?

[edit on 3-2-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Hi there Sminkey,
We had a visit from Mr,Gates here in Belgium,apparently he was amused and fascinated by the I.D.card system we have over here,with the microchip.We're the only country in the world to have it so far.Well to cut it short ,he wants to use the system to work in conjunction with Messenger 6.2,so that people can't claim to be other then themselves basically.There's a card reader & I.D. you plug it in and you can chat & surf 'Safely' how about that !
Have you heard anything about this new venture of his..

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
That one is news to me Horus_Re.

Hmm, do I laugh or cry?
The thought of needing my (biometric) ID card to access the net, smacks of fascism but if it's for my own good & keeps me 'safe'!?
oh dear oh dear.

Still, there are products other than Microsoft's available, right?!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Still, there are products other than Microsoft's available, right?!

Careful Sminkey.....such Heresy tends not to go unpunished...........

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well at long last it's all over.

The EU Parliament has finally rejected and killed off the Software patent bill.

Who says the EU never does any good for the 'ordinary' people of Europe?

European politicians have thrown out a controversial bill that could have led to software being patented.
The European Parliament voted 648 to 14 to reject the Computer Implemented Inventions Directive.

The bill was reportedly rejected because, politicians said, it pleased no-one in its current form.

Responding to the rejection the European Commission said it would not draw up or submit any more versions of the original proposal.

news.bbc.co.uk...

......now if we can just get some sense going on the issue of 'not-for-profit- personal' P2P'ing!

(did horus_re get banned, where's his/her posts?)

[edit on 6-7-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

join