It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Colbert Presses John Kasich On His Anti-Marijuana Stance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Stephen Colbert Presses John Kasich On His Anti-Marijuana Stance

And now for some fun hypocrisy from one of the Republican candidates courtesy of Stephan Colbert.

The GOP presidential hopeful stopped by CBS' "The Late Show" three days after his state rejected a constitutional amendment legalizing marijuana. The ballot measure would have allowed the use of recreational and medical marijuana in the state, but would only have let 10 producers grow and sell it commercially, thus drawing opposition from some marijuana advocates.

Colbert really nails him with his rhetoric too. Check this out.

"The problem is we have a huge drug crisis in this country," Kasich said.

"Is that really pot that's the drug crisis?" Colbert countered. "Lots of people are going to jail for minor infractions and it ruins their entire life."

"We don't do that in Ohio. We don't even want serious drug addicts to be locked in prison for their rest of their lives. We treat them and we pass them off to the community," Kasich said. "The problem with marijuana is this: We don't want to tell our kids, 'Don't do drugs, but by the way, this drug's okay.'"

"Isn't that what alcohol is?" Colbert replied.

So naturally Kaisch tries to change the subject, but Colbert is quick to intercept him.

"We don't need to take the approach where we send a confusing and mixed message to our children," he said.

When asked by Colbert if he had smoked marijuana before, Kasich said he had -- and was never caught by the police.

"If you had been caught smoking marijuana and had it on your record, would you be the governor of Ohio right now?" Colbert asked.

But Kasich seems to be about criminal justice reform too. It must be tough for Kasich to sound like a complete idiot. "I want to keep drugs illegal, but I don't want to send tons of people to jail!"

"Maybe," Kasich said. "If I got you to come out and campaign for me."

"What I mean is it ruins a life to have that police record because you can't get a job."

"We don't want to put people in prison," Kasich said, pointing to Ohio's program expunging the records of non-violent offenders. "I don't want to ruin anybody's life... We don't want to be in a position to demonize people, I just don't want to legalize drugs."

What a clown.

+14 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The legalization of Marijuana/hemp is a freight train that is not going to be stopped. And anyone that doesn't get on board is going to get run over by it.....BECAUSE IT HAS THE TRUTH ON IT'S SIDE.
edit on 9-11-2015 by HarryJoy because: typo

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

It's a wonder that politicians are still trying to word wrangle themselves around being for criminal justice reform but for NOT legalizing marijuana. They are clearly just paying lip service to potential voters.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes you are right and it gives me a chance to use a term that I haven't used before. It's "Cognitive Dissonance" they don't know what to say because they know they are wrong but as you said they don't want to lose votes.

PS. I suffer from it myself on occasion ...just a part of growing up for some of us.
edit on 9-11-2015 by HarryJoy because: Add

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

It also frustrates me that being anti-marijuana isn't a political career ending position to take yet. Being pro-marijuana used to make you a laughing stock as many 1990's Libertarians found out, but being ridiculously hypocritical while being anti-marijuana doesn't get you laughed off the election circuit. Now granted, Kasich has as much chance as the other idiot looking to crack down on legalization (Christie) of getting elected, and their positions here may have something to do with it, but even the more mainstream candidates don't even want to touch decriminalization.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I agree with you.....and yet I can see why there is a reluctance on the part of some candidates to support full legalization of it. Not every aspect of marijuana usage/abuse is positive ( It can create a big distraction from some areas of mental focus while enhancing others ) and certainly looking from the perspective of a person that has never used it and associates it with ONLY the negative aspects...it is a hard bridge to cross. But they need to realize until it is allowed to be free...proper balance in the use and application of it will never occur.

A mature person will see that any substance ( alcohol, food, sex, drugs ) that brings any type of pleasure can and will be abused until the person using it matures in there understanding. The logic behind the legalization of Marijuana/Hemp is irrefutable and it is only a matter of time before that logic prevails over our society.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
It is all a sham, cognitive dissonance, lip service and beyond. Most in gov want to leave decriminalization to the states; but don't dare de-/re-schedule the drug at the federal level. This puts a bind on the states that have made it legal across the board (recreational/medical/etc). Those legit businesses can not deposit the money in banks because of the fedgov, and I bet they soak up a lot of cash.

So, we have one appendage of the fed gov say; "Leave legalization decisions to the state". But another appendage is saying "This is still a schedule one drug and therefore illegal, and if you take it across state lines, if you try to deposit the money into a bank, if you even think of claiming your expenses on taxes, you are screwed." All because of the DEA. The pres could issue an executive order taking cannabis off the schedule entirely. They wouldn't do it, because it would be political suicide. Although, a 2nd term pres who is not gonna do much after running the country except book tours and speaking engagements could do that as an exit from office gift to the people of the US.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Too true. I just get frustrated that the same tired propaganda techniques are still believed by enough people that it prevents this issue from going anywhere federally. It's time for the federal government to get involved here.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I wish you guys in the states would hurry up and legalise it....
Maybe just maybe my bloody government would have to have a serious chat about it...

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Skada

Exactly, it's hypocritical. "Let's let the states decide! ...but we still support jailing you federally for it."

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
But I must admit our police don't throw you in jail If caught growing it...unless it is tons of it.
I know a few folk who grew their own and got raided because they were stupid and they just had the stuff taken away cautioned and given a hundred quid fine.
What makes me laugh though is everyone smokes it and there are 5 hydroponic shops within 5 miles of me.

Obviously I don't condone any sort of illegal behavior and have never had a smoke ever ever.

edit on 9-11-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Same old thing, ask someone in charge about marijuana and they eventually start using the term drugs with an "s" on the end thereby steering the conversation away from the specific topic of marijuana, and don't forget to mention the word Heroin because nobody wants that and it should somehow strengthen your anti-marijuana stance, And don't forget to talk about the Kid that took his own life because he got mixed up with drugs [With the "s" on the end] and couldn't climb out of it. Avoid any topics about how many people kill themselves or others when drunk or die from cancer via cigarettes. But whatever you do, JUST KEEP TALKING, the shows only so long and every minute you successfully keep the host from getting back on topic gets you one step closer to the door.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

My stance on MM is clear. The problem as I see it is that the Helen Lovejoys will accuse the movement of enabling the use of Marijuana despite not knowing how it works.

It can be a liquid and a lotion but the aforementioned Lovejoys believe that it is just another excuse to 'bong on' which is not the case. Marijuana is a healthier option than opiates and is far less addictive and it is also a robust fiber. Good luck trying to convince the Pfizer shareholders otherwise.

edit on 9-11-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: korath

That pretty much sums up that standard anti-marijuana stances these days. Spot on!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I completely agree with you. Kasich is the Governor here in Ohio and I have always had issues with him. He is about as establishment as you can get and his stance against marijuana legalization is foolish. He is not a strong supporter of gun rights either. In fact, I have very few things that this guy and I agree on.

Of all of the Republican candidates for President; I lump Kasich in with the most undesirable like Bush and Christie. He seems to be very out of touch with his voters in Ohio. I can't imagine how out of touch he would be with the country as a whole.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Well one thing about marijuana policy is that with the way public support for the plant has grown, it is becoming easier and easier to tell the politicians who are on the take when it comes to marijuana legalization.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Kasich is in a tough spot, thanks to his party he needs to support the drug war but on the other hand he clearly recognizes what it's doing to the legal system.

Arresting them and then expunging the records of those who were non violent offenders isn't a good solution but atleast it's something. Other than Rand Paul who else on the right will even go that far?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Strange, because I think he's actually quite reasonable.

I wouldn't mind seeing him goto jail for his role in the 2008 crash, but failing that he makes for a solid second choice candidate behind Sanders.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

This is really what the country needs. One hack calling out another. On drugs. Lets watch coc aine cowboys. Good show. I am the godmother. Maybe we should just legalize meth or the drugs that we don't inhale.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I think I'd rather side with one of the Republicans who are deferring to states' rights here on this matter. There ARE plenty of those in the running right now, and most are doing MUCH better in the polls than Kasich.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join