It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious red slime found in Norwegian fjord

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Hi, this is the first time I post a thread, so I hope I do this right.

I found this on the website of our national broadcaster, I linked to a Google-translated version.

Google translated page

Apparantly, the sea is covered in slime that colours fishing equipment. It seems to be an unknown type of jellyfish, but there is also a layer of slime over the sea floor which is 15-30 meters thick at some points.

Since there seems to be all sorts of clever people here, I thought I'd ask if anybody had ever seen this before?

Should we be worried?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Sennex

Alien spores, obviously.

Could be though, if we think of Panspermia as a valid life spreading mechanism.

If Panspermia is real, these tiny blobs of jelly housing a core of genetic materiel might have drifted down through the atmosphere over a couple of years as microscopic spores, finally reaching the oceans, they begin to divide and develop into these red, clusters of slime.

Think Martian red weed from War of the Worlds.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

A bit worried, I would think:

It is obvious that there is something going on which wildlife are unable to cope, says associate professor at NFH.

I wish my Dad was still around, he might know since he worked on trawlers for years. But NFH UiT are saying this is unprecedented. Something is wrong and the fish and prawns have gone.

We have in recent days confirmed that there are enormous amounts of mucoid material on the seabed, especially in the last 15-20 meters above the bottom. The density is so great that it is perceived by the electronic instruments as if it were dense shoals, says Larsen.

That's pretty scary, hope they find out what's causing the 'mucoid' to form so densely.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Oh dear...and we don't even have the "Thunderchild"...now what are we going to do?
On a positive note, it's winter, so both the flu and the common cold should be readily available.

I can't really see this being Panspermia, but you never know...might be interesting to see what the "new neighbours" turn out to be

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Yeah, that part about the fish and prawns has me worried. Historically, fishing has been what we depend on here in Norway, and the oil industry is falling rapidly, so if the fish goes as well, we are kinda SOL.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Interesting find OP

Will observe the thread for details.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

The Sea around Scandinavia has been rising in temperatures over the last 10 years, it could easily be a side effect of those rising temp's, just like jelly fish are thriving in the warmer waters.

SOURCE

Harmful algae usually bloom during the warm summer season or when water temperatures are warmer than usual. Warmer water due to climate change might favor harmful algae in a number of ways:
Toxic blue-green algae prefer warmer water.
Warmer temperatures prevent water from mixing, allowing algae to grow thicker and faster.
Warmer water is easier for small organisms to move through and allows algae to float to the surface faster.
Algal blooms absorb sunlight, making water even warmer and promoting more blooms.

edit on 9-11-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   

So this is not some sort of algae bloom or anything of that kind?

More data is required, that is for certain!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Beware of the blob, it creeps
And leaps and glides and slides
Across the floor
Right through the door
And all around the wall
A splotch, a blotch
Be careful of the blob

Oo

at least it aint tomatoes...
edit on 9-11-2015 by laminatedsoul because: added an e to an a, and yay!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
"The second angel poured out his bowl on the sea, and it turned into blood like that of a dead person, and every living thing in the sea died." Revelation 16:3
Just sayin

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

There is a particular kind of salt water algae; Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria),

"Red slime algae is actually not a "true" algae at all, but classified as a cyanobacteria. Often considered to be the evolutionary link between bacteria and algae, cyanobacteria are one of the oldest forms of life on earth and date back at least 3.5 billion years."

from Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria) Description

Possibly a severe case of this because of warmer than usual ocean temperatures. I think it has been dressed up to make it a bit more of a story so it gets tossed around the internet more so than if it was just "Severe case of algae for Norwegian Fjords". The fact that there is a thread here about it proves a successful tactic.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

Alien spores, obviously.

Could be though, if we think of Panspermia as a valid life spreading mechanism.

If Panspermia is real, these tiny blobs of jelly housing a core of genetic materiel might have drifted down through the atmosphere over a couple of years as microscopic spores, finally reaching the oceans, they begin to divide and develop into these red, clusters of slime.

Think Martian red weed from War of the Worlds.

The concept of panspermia is real. Not only can microbial life exist in space, so can some complex life - the mosquito that was on the outside of the international space station.

www.foxnews.com...

Whether we have been contaminated by this, remains to be seen. Highly unlikely given our evolutionary history does have evidence from the earliest forms of life.

but who knows, early primitive life, mixed with an evolved form of life, may have been the catalyst for intelligence only seen in human life.

But that we see no indication, in any detectable form, of intelligence, or life in general within even 50 light years from here, where there are a number of earth like planets revolving around sun like stars, says space says no.

unless intelligent life bleeds into our universe from a parallel universe.. that is.. I'll let mr quantum tell us that story in a few hundred million years..

edit on 9-11-2015 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
"The second angel poured out his bowl on the sea, and it turned into blood like that of a dead person, and every living thing in the sea died." Revelation 16:3
Just sayin

Thats like saying "the day after" is evidence that we'll nuke ourselves, after we nuke ourselves.

it's just humdrum human paranoia predicting the worst possible outcome.

"god or his angels destroy the oceans" at a time when the oceans were a prime part of sustenance.

Red is the colour of danger, death. blood, "do not eat me" etc.

come on man, the oceans have not been killed by angels... if anything, they have been killed by man.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: laminatedsoul

Across the floor
Right through the door
And all around the wall
A splotch, a blotch
Be careful of the blob

Oo

I liked this explanation by revolution9.

"Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria)"

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

originally posted by: laminatedsoul

Across the floor
Right through the door
And all around the wall
A splotch, a blotch
Be careful of the blob

Oo

I liked this explanation by revolution9.

"Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria)"

Haha yes, I did have that in mind.. They're red too. !!

both scary movies came out and.. well, were not considered cult classics at first. but serious shock movies.

Makes sharknado seem like a veritable sci fi masterpiece.. haha

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
So this is it. Death by jellyfish.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
So this is it. Death by jellyfish.

It's better than the Dr Who sci fi alternative.. Tom Baker and death by Jelly Babies..

he would never stop offering them, you know.. Oo

edit on 9-11-2015 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I was of the impression that cyanobacteria were blueish/greenish in colour, do they come in red/pink as well?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I saw in the article that the research vessel «Helmer Hanssen» is en route to collect samples for the Institute of Marine Research, so hopefully we get some decent answers soon.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: laminatedsoul
Unless the worst is yet to come........

top topics

<<   2 >>

join