It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK political correctness gone barmy!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
"Financially challenged"? I've heard it all now. But aren't we all financially challenged these days?

Anyway, next up: you don't have a cold anymore, you are nasally impaired. I'm not white anymore, I'm light skinned. Your car hasn't broken down, it's internally-combustion-engined-challenged.

Phaw.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

And, you have compassion and a reasonable sensible head on your shoulders. There is one homeless man I became particularly good friends with because of situations that happened in my life. Regardless bringing him breakfast and money and you know what occasionally I even drank with him after work. I know society would hate me or lambast me for that, but I don't care I treat him like a human not like a ghost. This person has become a great friend to me, anyway homeless people I have met have often times been the most generous. You could bet your ass if you were hungry a homeless person would see to it you eat before the rest of working class society. There's so many factors that come into play, but I applaud your actions some people in this thread need compassion.

edit on 28-10-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I remember letting the local "homeless guy" kip on my sofa one night as it was absolutely pissing down outside, we were on our way back from the pub and seen him huddled in a church doorway.

Let him have a bath, lent him a dressing gown whilst I run his clothes through the washer / dryer and made him something to eat.

He spent the next couple of hours playing my guitar and singing Pink Floyd, much to our entertainment.

After he left the next day, to my horror, I noticed he had gone number two in the toilet and it was a monster that was causing the toilet bowl to fill up with water and not empty.

I had to get one of my lady friends to sellotape a Tesco carrier bag to her arm and work it out with a spoon, unfortunately the bag leaked...if that had been in more recent times I would have been 5p out of pocket.

At the end of the day though, I felt like a better person for giving Raymond a roof over his head for the night, I may not have had much at the time, but I had more than him.

Calling the police on someone for trying to earn a little to eat / drink is awful behaviour.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Ok I agree with your sentiment and I am still laughing about the incredible number two left for you to deal with, but why did it occur to you to get one of your lady friends to clean up the # and unclog the toilet lmao?!?! Why didn't you just do it your self?

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Don't you think the police who are also financially challenged have more important things to do? The council and homeless services are all struggling at the moment, this is where Cameron's flag ship the big society steps in

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: lamplighters

The policeman was in error.

Beggars are not just homeless or destitute. Begging is the act of asking passers by for money, which one intends to spend on oneself.

Financially challenged is the sort of phrase you use to describe someone who is merely destitute, not someone who has gone to beg on the street to mitigate for that situation.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

The truth aye? Hope you got your money back.

Did you manage to kick out that person from your house you hate too?

Sleep well.

To you and the other person who accused me of being heartless
Listen.

If you read what i wrote, i USED to give the guy money and food regularly until i found out he wasnt genuinely homeless.

And i was well within my rights to call the police, the guy was on our path - well at the bottom of our path, our private property making us feel uncomfortable having somebody sitting there throwing up on our path, watching every time we came in and out.

We had every right to call the police.

This wasnt a holier than thou moment, lets see how you feel like when you have a beggar on your private pathway day in day out, who you KNOW isnt a genuine beggar!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I think the op points something else out also.
That people are afraid of them....but deep down people are afraid because they know a few bad decisions or a couple of runs of bad luck sometimes out of your control and it is us sat there asking for money.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Because, the opportunity to get out of doing it myself was there....and I took it, and all it cost was a couple of fags (cigarettes)!

I was wrong about the spoon too, she just used her hand (with a marigold on).

If you would like a visual look at the incident....I'll post the evidence right here...please bear in mind, this was over 10 years ago (despite it saying uploaded 7 years ago), I was young and liked to party.

WARNING, Graphic (lmao) video with colourful language!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Ok here's the thing, the reason beggar can be construed as mean and cruel is because, yes while in the act of begging a person can be referred to as beggar correctly, however the taboo and arechtypical persona applied is one of a nasty individual who won't work and just wants to leech of society.

See,that's not an accurate description, and it is the one implied with words like "beggar". My friend Garvin is a human not a beggar, so what does that mean? At times he begs, though I have got close to him and bring him food and money he does not beg me,and I would have none of that if he tried, he also washes cars, he helps people, he does odd jobs when he can, he deals with debilitating mental disease, he crys, he laughs, he shares memories with me,and imparts wisdom as well. This man is not a "beggar" he is a man much like you and me.

These cookie cutter terms are used to reduce people into printed off the assembly line pre labeled names, this robs us of our humanity and keeps social status having meaning.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I remember as a kid calling some folk Gentlemen of the road but they were sort of upper class homeless folk lol.
odd not seen one for decades.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

He may well have a home, it doesn't mean he can afford to live.

Council tax may pay his rent, he may get jobseekers allowance, but once other bills come in, and other life expenses, many people have a hard time.

At the end of the day, he is doing no harm, and the decent people who can afford to give him the odd quid will do so.

Only the narrow minded would be afraid to walk past him, unless of course he was acting in a violent manner, which it doesn't sound like.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Hahaha that's classic, " the power of # compels you!" Lmao

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

You're a model citizen! Good one you for protecting your private property - I noticed next door left their bins out again - perhaps you should have a word?

Well done for asking for your money back as well.

Honestly this thread absolutely stinks of everything that is wrong with people today.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

Because, the opportunity to get out of doing it myself was there....and I took it, and all it cost was a couple of fags (cigarettes)!

I was wrong about the spoon too, she just used her hand (with a marigold on).

If you would like a visual look at the incident....I'll post the evidence right here...please bear in mind, this was over 10 years ago (despite it saying uploaded 7 years ago), I was young and liked to party.

WARNING, Graphic (lmao) video with colourful language!

EEEEEWWWWWW!

That's nasty, mate!

Though I'd say your story at least has the ring of truth, unlike the OP

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

You're a model citizen! Good one you for protecting your private property - I noticed next door left their bins out again - perhaps you should have a word?

Well done for asking for your money back as well.

Honestly this thread absolutely stinks of everything that is wrong with people today.

Hold on a sec there... a beggar on the streets is one thing. One in my own garden is another and I think that's what Lamplighters is trying say. So you're saying if you had a "financially challenged" chap in your home, you wouldn't be bothered by that?

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I have a unique view of all this.

I have lived on the street, and known many people who had to beg for change for one reason or another. Because I have lived in close proximity with persons who have been in this position, I do not see the term as being an insult, and the archetypes involved do not occur to me first. I see faces, names, human lives, not a stereotype. I also refuse to use a different term to describe the situation.

The people I used to know from the street, by and large, were there as a result of societal issues wider than the scope of their own lives. Some were there because of a lack of proper mental health provision, some were there because of drug addiction, others because they had merely been blindsided by the coldness and cruelty of a system of governance which has no respect for those at the bottom end, and refuses to accept that destitution can hit even the most hardworking and determined individual, and makes no allowance for the worst effects felt by downtrodden persons.

I make no judgement when I say that a person who asks passers by for money is a beggar, because they beg. It is merely an accurate description. People do as they must to survive, and I respect that enough to be honest about it, and unafraid of the terminology involved.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

I hope Raymond one day sees the video and sheds a tear remembering the epic poo

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Who would of thought that a little #,or a big one rather, could bring so many like minded hearts together? Touching really, although biologically hazardous.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

What I wouldn't do is post a thread on here boasting about how I called the police.

It's just all wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join