It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Ideas needed for non-lethal home/personal protection...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

38 special is easier to fire for women (in my personal experience)....
easier to cock and shoot than a semi-auto.

I have a .38 special within reach here at my desk, 6 feet away from the front door, and at the other end of the house, a .22 Ruger (both of which I can shoot). We have crossbows and swords, as well as rifles, a carbine, and a couple of other hand guns.

Oh, and our "baseball bat" is aluminum. Sits next to the axe just inside the front door.

I ain't scared.
edit on 10/19/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
a reply to: lovebeck
a reply to: Glassbender777

Thank you for reminding me that there are non-lethal forms of ammunition -- I appreciate that! One of the reasons I asked for non-lethal ideas is because for some times and for some people, firearms are just not an option, even for those who would otherwise use firearms. But I'm happy to be able to pass all these ideas along too. Thank you!

edit on 19-10-2015 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

38 special is easier to fire for women (in my personal experience)....
easier to cock and shoot than a semi-auto.

True and that's what I gave my wife for our first anniversary. I guess I'm just a hopeless romantic.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

I'm not convinced of the usefulness of 4. I've read conflicting things online concerning wasp spray. Some say it works, others say it does nothing. My advice: get a machete or baseball bat. Preferably the machete, but that may be illegal in your area? A bat should be legal everywhere.

I can only say that it worked like a charm for my niece once. She said the second she started spraying (and yelling) he was out of there! Perhaps more of a deterrent than anything else, but whatever works.

I'm not convinced of the usefulness of 5....

These are storm whistles, intended to be heard over distance in adverse conditions. Everything has it's limitations, but it's better than nothing.

...Considering you would be using it inside your home the panic button your your car key fob is probably louder and would better get your neighbor's attention.

Yes, ideally, but sometimes the key fob will not be an option. For example, mine works from every room in my house except the guest room. Since the guest room is the least likely place I would be, not much of a problem for me. But it might be for others.

6 is okay if you're a light sleeper but...[snip]... if you're really cheap and you just want a noise made when someone opens a window or door without your say-so they also have DIY alarms...

I had no idea... thank you!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If your home is being invaded, your life is in mortal danger. Why on God's green Earth would you not want to make double sure that whoever is doing the invading is 100% neutralized?

I can't wrap my mind around that....but wasp spray is likely your best bet to survive, short of tazing or using a Louisville Slugger. That is, unless you don't mind dropping someone who is intending to hurt you/your family. In that case, 00 buck shot every time.

ETA: if i hear my neighbors car start honking, or a loud whistle blowing, its not likely to do anything more than annoy me. If i hear gun shots...i call the cops. So there's that.
edit on 10/19/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Believe it or not... I know a few folks who have a conspicuous sign that reads; "Forget the dog. Beware of owner." Those homes have never been broken into, even though others around them have....

Yes, I do believe that. As another poster pointed out, thugs tend to take the path of least resistance. They're usually bullies that target the weakest... don't want to tangle with those willing to stand up to them.

Obviously that won't work for the whole neighborhood, but the premise is good. Give would be criminals something to think about when they enter your neighborhood.

It sure would. Maybe I'll check out some signs as Christmas presents for all the neighbors... I can use it line the tray for their usual cookies and baked goodies!

Thank you

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Why would you want to put you and your family at more risk my intentionally putting yourself at a disadvantage?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
If your home is being invaded, your life is in mortal danger. Why on God's green Earth would you not want to make double sure that whoever is doing the invading is 100% neutralized?

I can't wrap my mind around that....

Firearms are not always an option for various reasons, and not always by choice. As I said, a good guy with a gun stopped a slaughter and I thank God that we live in a state where that was possible. I'm not trashing guns, just considering all options.

ETA: if i hear my neighbors car start honking, or a loud whistle blowing, its not likely to do anything more than annoy me. If i hear gun shots...i call the cops. So there's that.

Well for us anyway, we've already been talking, and we're all on the same page there... and even if some neighbors choose to ignore it, plenty of us won't.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Get a dog. Someone surveyed B&E guys who got caught, and they said that a dog was the single biggest deterrent to them. If you don't want a dog, get a gun. You have to meet force with equal force or you are going to lose.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

You might want to add a home alarm with a panic button on that list.

One neighbor of ours was broken into 7 times.

2 rottweilers later all burglary activity ceased.

Also add glass break sensors to your list.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot

Get a dog. Someone surveyed B&E guys who got caught, and they said that a dog was the single biggest deterrent to them. If you don't want a dog, get a gun. You have to meet force with equal force or you are going to lose.

Gotta agree with this.

YOu don't even need a really big dog. You just need one that can yap and bark. Once you remove an intruders element of surprise, the advantage swings back in your favor. Especially in a dark house.

link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Why would you want to put you and your family at more risk my intentionally putting yourself at a disadvantage?

I cannot speak for those who choose to not use firearms... maybe one who feels that way will explain their reasoning and philosophy.

But I can say that firearms are not always an option for various reasons, not always by choice.

And that lethal force should always be your last resort, so there is nothing wrong -- but much good and noble -- in finding and utilizing non-lethal methods of defense, even in conjunction with the option of lethal force.

link   

Do you just own a gun or can't own a gun or is it your unwilling to use one? All the above is fine I know lot so of people who don't. Many I agree they most likely shouldn't, they wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on a B&E or an A&R. They'd more likely shoot themselves then the robber.

For non-lethal, I say cameras lights are nice but cameras are way better. Just make sure you have more then one back up for the data running at the same time. Some have robbers have gotten smart to them and look for the data storage unit for the video feed, put in an easy to see spot away from bedrooms and hide the other. Most will but up the one and think the job is done or even take it with them.

Dogs are nice, but they count as less than lethal even the small ones, same with the bug spray. If your willing to go less than lethal tazer is nice but not something you want to use on someone you leave your home. Makes it kind of hard to leave when they're twitching on the floor. But don't expect them to stay that way, it's surprising how fast people can get up from them, some it does not stop at all. Same with the pepper or bug spray.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Also add glass break sensors to your list.

Never heard of those -- thank you! I will

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ObjectZero

Do you just own a gun or can't own a gun or is it your unwilling to use one?

I have nothing against guns... just some of their owners. My husband and son carry; I do not, but they want me to. So it's an ongoing... ahem... discussion...

Many I agree they most likely shouldn't, they wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on a B&E or an A&R. They'd more likely shoot themselves then the robber.

I kinda sorta resemble this remark. I'm not sure I trust myself with a gun, for various reasons...

...it's surprising how fast people can get up from them [tazers], some it does not stop at all. Same with the pepper or bug spray.

I have heard this. Nothing is perfect it seems...

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Why are you trying to prepare for an armed home invasion with less than lethal force? A sign in the yard isn't much good against a gun or knife or any number of other weapons.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

A home security expert once shared with me that he removed all the window stickers and yard signs of the company that installed and monitored his home security system replacing them with a different companies signs and stickers.

The idea being to trip up any thieves who have cased your home.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

My husband works mostly second shift and here are a few ideas that make me feel safer:

Lots of lighting around your home is a must. A yappy dog creates a lot of noise and attention a potential burglar doesn't
want. My two Pomeranians are little, but can create a tremendous amount of noise if they hear something.

Keep the bushes trimmed away from around the exterior of your home or trimmed short enough so no one can used them for cover.

Wasp spray has the advantage of a being a long distance weapon and can shoot from as far as 15-20 feet away.

A baseball bat or golf club works, too. Years ago, my coworker's house was broken into while she was at work. Understandably, she was scared to be alone and the police officer advised her to get a baseball bat because it's perfectly legal to own. Men have longer arms, therefore a longer reach. The baseball bat extends a woman's arms and puts a bit more distance between herself and someone coming at her. I keep "Homeland Security" in a central location that's easy to get to. Be sure to compare the grips of a regular bat and a junior size bat to see which one you can hold more comfortably. You can get both of them cheaply at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

Self defense classes can give you a few techniques to protect yourself.

This will upset a few people on here, but there's always the option of a firearm. I have a shotgun where I can get to it. And, no, we do not have small children or teenagers around to get ahold of it. Firing it is the absolute last thing I want to have to do, and I hope just the sight of a terrified woman waving around a shotgun is enough to get anyone breaking INTO my house OUT of my house. My stepson taught me where the little release button is to make the scary cocking sound, too.

edit on 10/19/2015 by Cheddarhead because: clarity

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
A dinner consisting of a dozen eggs and a head of broccoli.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Why are you trying to prepare for an armed home invasion with less than lethal force? A sign in the yard isn't much good against a gun or knife or any number of other weapons.

Very well understood... and I hope I don't have to repeat again that I am not against firearms, but that I am looking for ideas for situations in which firearms are not an option. The recent event is what prompted my concern and inquiry, but isn't the only emergency situation we could face. And it's not just the practical tools I'm considering, but also the psychological impact of people feeling they have options, rather than feeling helpless and hopeless; having options for action, rather than just panicking.

I will add, however, that lethal force should always be the last resort. If I can deter would be criminals from approaching my home to begin with, that's a good thing. If I can scare them off at the point of entry or soon after -- well before any face-to-face confrontation -- that's also a good thing. If I have/choose less than lethal options available even at the point of confrontation, that's another good thing. If my respect and reverence for life ends up costing me mine, so be it... I am the one who has to live with myself and my conscience. "For what have I gained if I save my life and lose my soul?"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join