It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe in something like "The Adjustment Bureau"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
For those unaware of "The Adjustment Bureau":

www.youtube.com...

I believe everyone on a forum like this should watch that film. Talk about conspiracy theory! That film presents the largest conspiracy theory imaginable.

Now the question, do you believe in something like "The Adjustment Bureau"?

I have to admit that I do. It may be ingrained in me as I grew up in a Christian home. I had the concept of an omniscient, omnipresent, all-powerful force drilled into me from birth.

However, I've come to the conclusion that something like "The Adjustment Bureau" exists because of my own logical analysis of the world. I can hardly make sense of the world without surmising that there's a powerful force holding things together. This belief of mine is pervasive in all my thinking about life. For example, I just listened to Jeff Rense's latest radio show concerning the potential St. Louis nuclear disaster:

Part 1: Emergency St Louis Nuke Dump Fire 6700+ Tons a Chernobyl? Rense Yoichi

www.youtube.com...

Part 2: St Louis Nuke Dump Could Cause a Fukushima on Mississippi Rense
www.youtube.com...

Part 3: St Louis Sub Surface Nuke Fire City Prepares Evacuation Plans Rense
www.youtube.com...

That's one of the scariest things I've ever heard. In years past I would have been much more concerned about it. But, I've discovered that my belief in something like "The Adjustment Bureau" keeps me from being too concerned.

I've just seen too many potential disasters that seemed to be likely to happen turn out to be nothing over the years. There has to be some force keeping everything together IMHO. That is the conclusion that the author of "The Adjustment Bureau" (Philip K. Dick) came to:

www.youtube.com...

Horrible disasters do happen but they always seem to be something out of the blue that no one was expecting. That's why if some disaster is being touted by the masses as being imminent, I completely ignore it now.

I'm not saying that any of this is a good thing on my part. I don't think it is. I just want to see where others stand on this issue.
edit on 14-10-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I have seen the movie. I think it's a great flick

I can totally understand why you would believe there is something holding all this together. My beliefs are along the lines that there is SOMETHING AFTER all of this. Not "God" as described by religion, but just something.

I guess we could claim the Adjustment Bureau already exists... It's called HMRC in the UK

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Since time travel is at least scientifically possible (NOT technologically possible as yet, only theoretically possible) at some point in time, provided we survive as a species, Time travelling will become a reality.

As time travel will become a reality...IT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED...because it is TIME TRAVEL!!

If travelling back in time, then time travel exists in the time that is travelled to...not invented, perfected, or even dreamt of in that time necessarily, but existing in that time.

That time, would then by definition include all of time, since all of time can be accessed and travelled to...so in reality, time travel exists in ALL periods, and always has done.

So yes...i'd imagine with a development as far reaching, open to abuse and likely catastrophic in the wrong hands, i can easily see there would be a very real need for an oversight of the technology, a control organisation if you will.

Or, as you put it..'An Adjustment bureau' of sorts.

Ultimately, (which means all and every time period...think about it) there will come a point where the bureau itself becomes corrupt and abuses it's remit and uses the technology for it's own selfish purposes...one aspect of this would probably involve manipulating events (not always large events) in order to ensure the result it requires.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: brace22
I guess we could claim the Adjustment Bureau already exists... It's called HMRC in the UK

I know you're being facetious with that comment but "The Adjustment Bureau" was constantly saving humanity from itself. "The Adjustment Bureau" couldn't be part of humanity or the story would have been completely different.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I know
as said, I was messing around

(post by MysterX removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

I have messaged you mate.

edit on 14-10-2015 by brace22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-10-2015 by brace22 because: I have contacted the poster as to not derail the thread.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Super interesting! I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's now on my list.

I think at this point of my life, nothing would surprise me.

If a group like this really exists, they must have their hands full these days.
edit on 14-10-2015 by sickofthelies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I think The Adjustment Bureau does exist, they do watch over us. But it isn't how it is shown in the movie. They work behind time itself. Also they cannot always be adjusting... I have calculated the time in between adjustments, it is usually about 15-20 days of intervals. They do adjustments in which they pause the whole sector(this universe) for the adjustments, it isn't like they could freeze a part of the universe bcos there isn't a part it is just one single entity that they are adjusting. I would like to further explain the previous sentence a little more for clarity. I think this universe is one single entity/creature/energy. So there is no past or the present or the future it is the state in which the entity is in. For example if there was an adjustment done then the entity is no longer in the previous state thus there is no previous past or future that exist. Thus there is a new past and future that is formed in every adjustment. That is why there cannot be a major adjustment, it is like a process they have to follow.

Now I would like to explain one more thing. As they show in the film that the doors are like portals to specific other doors, are not entirely true. The world that we live in are managed by an internal stability processes. Now these things I call them Lines of Construction. These lines are constantly moving within our universe fixing the instabilities around. These lines can be used to travel along other construction Lines. So the doors could be used to coincide with the Lines of Construction, but we don't hold the capability in terms of technology to do this.

Another thing about Time Travel as it seems to have picked up in this thread. I don't think Time Travel would work like you would not know you traveled in time. Just think about it... If there is no past nor future nor the present, when you time travel you are moving within the same given constraints, so if you go to the past within your own life you will only be fed the same thing you knew back then, you won't remember the future thus you would never know you time traveled you would live the same life the way you did before. For example, how would you know that you haven't traveled in time right now and are living the same life again. You just don't remember the future or have any memories of having time traveled.

edit on 14-10-2015 by sid1314 because: correction of content and addition of research

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: sid1314
I think The Adjustment Bureau does exist, they do watch over us. But it isn't how it is shown in the movie. They work behind time itself. Also they cannot always be adjusting... I have calculated the time in between adjustments, it is usually about 15-20 days of intervals. They do adjustments in which they pause the whole sector(this universe) for the adjustments, it isn't like they could freeze a part of the universe bcos there isn't a part it is just one single entity that they are adjusting. I would like to further explain the previous sentence a little more for clarity. I think this universe is one single entity/creature/energy. So there is no past or the present or the future it is the state in which the entity is in. For example if there was an adjustment done then the entity is no longer in the previous state thus there is no previous past or future that exist. Thus there is a new past and future that is formed in every adjustment. That is why there cannot be a major adjustment, it is like a process they have to follow.

Now I would like to explain one more thing. As they show in the film that the doors are like portals to specific other doors, are not entirely true. The world that we live in are managed by an internal stability processes. Now these things I call them Lines of Construction. These lines are constantly moving within our universe fixing the instabilities around. These lines can be used to travel along other construction Lines. So the doors could be used to coincide with the Lines of Construction, but we don't hold the capability in terms of technology to do this.

Another thing about Time Travel as it seems to have picked up in this thread. I don't think Time Travel would work like you would not know you traveled in time. Just think about it... If there is no past nor future nor the present, when you time travel you are moving within the same given constraints, so if you go to the past within your own life you will only be fed the same thing you knew back then, you won't remember the future thus you would never know you time traveled you would live the same life the way you did before. For example, how would you know that you haven't traveled in time right now and are living the same life again. You just don't remember the future or have any memories of having time traveled.

In other words, the past is not real? I'm sorry, but you lost me at the lack of evidence. That's merely theory.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
No, I don't. And neither did you, I suspect, before you watched the movie.

Movies aren't real. Seriously.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Interesting thread...

It appears that this film came out a few years back and I missed it...

Definitely have to watch it though.

Here is what I have found so far:

The movie is based on a public domain sci-fi short story called "Adjustment Team".

A PDF (text only) is here: www.sail-inn.gr...

The 1954 Orbit Science Fiction facsimile version is here.

The WIKISOURCE OCR version is here.

"Adjustment Team" is a science fiction short story by Philip K. Dick. It was first published in Orbit Science Fiction (Sept–Oct 1954, No. 4) "Adjustment Team" served as the basis for the 2011 film The Adjustment Bureau.

The story has been described as Dick's "first tentative try" at Frederik Pohl's "tunnel under the world" theme, in which it is imagined that mundane existence is totally a product of unseen manipulators.

en.wikipedia.org...

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." Philip K. Dick

Seemingly, if an Adjustment Bureau exists it has been successful in its attempts to manipulate the future. When JFK was killed they got their war in Viet Nam along with the profiteering. Lyndon Johnson, his successor overturns almost all of Kennedy’s policies except for the moon mission and ushers in the war on poverty and the hopeless Viet Nam bog-down.

oswaldsmother.blogspot.com...

edit on 14-10-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: brace22

I think various religions are different cultures' ways of trying to explain God and heaven. I feel like life here is like living on a submarine, and the lucky few who get to peek through the periscope are the NDE experiencers.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

I agree. I have always seen religion, which by the way I have no issue with, as a collective of individuals who happen to believe the same thing, just on a grand and sometimes beautiful scale.

I really want to comment further, but what is NDE? I am so sorry if that is a really noobie question!

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

I agree. I have always seen religion, which by the way I have no issue with, as a collective of individuals who happen to believe the same thing, just on a grand and sometimes beautiful scale.

I really want to comment further, but what is NDE? I am so sorry if that is a really noobie question!

near death experience......religion is fine, one can believe in anything they want and associate with others who believe the same way. it's when that group wants to dictate how the rest of us should think, live, and act that gets me pissed off.....it's the same with the abortion issue...it's the woman's body, she is the sole owner of it, and outsiders shouldn't be able to control what happens inside a woman's body, or for that matter a man's body either.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Thanks mate!

I have never had a near death experience. And I am a believer in the fact that you can't truly understand something until you experience it or have learned about it. In this case, until I experience that near death state (I don't really want to), I will never see through that periscope.

On the topic of religion. I completely agree with everything you said. I have my beliefs, but I don't preach.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I really want to comment further, but what is NDE?

A couple of must see NDE's: Ian Mccormack, George Rodonia, Howard storm, Howard Pittman, Earthquake Kelley.

Ian Mccormack on YouTube

A YouTube search...

Lazurus Phenomena search...

A random YouTube NDE Playlist...

edit on 14-10-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Thank you for those! I cannot watch right now as my work speakers do not work, and I have no headphones with me

However I will watch this evening

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Something infinitesimally smaller than most believe it to be holds all of this together.

Of course, leaning toward being the narcissistic creatures some of us are (especially, according to our government and religious leaders), it has to be something so much greater....

The Adjustment Bureau is a pretty entertaining flick, but still just a flick.

I liked it because I could leer at Emily Blunt on pause without her noticing....

Emily Blunt is a hottie....

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Well, I recon the bureau is - you yourself - on the other side of the fence.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join