It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF ready to shoot down Russian aircraft over Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

RAF Tornados bombing Isis targets in Iraq are to be armed with air-to-air missiles to protect them from attack by Russian aircraft — as a senior cabinet minister warned that Britain was prepared to shoot down Vladimir Putin’s jets.

Combat aircraft involved in Operation Shader over Iraq will be fitted with Asraam heat-seeking missiles, which can destroy any military aircraft flying today.

A senior defence source said: “Up till now RAF Tornados have been equipped with 500lb satellite-guided bombs — there has been no or little air-to-air threat. But in the last week the situation has changed. We need to respond accordingly.”

The move comes as tensions between the West and Russia escalated last night amid claims that Russia’s bombing raids have overwhelmingly ignored the Isis fighters they claim to be targeting and killed 150 civilians and injured 500 more.

Sunday Times

Same news also posted in International Business times

RAF given green light to shoot down hostile Russian jets in Syria

As relations between the West and Russia steadily deteriorate, Royal Air Force (RAF) pilots have been given the go-ahead to shoot down Russian military jets when flying missions over Syria and Iraq, if they are endangered by them. The development comes with warnings that the UK and Russia are now "one step closer" to being at war.

RAF Tornado pilots have been instructed to avoid contact with Russian aircraft while engaged in missions for Operation Shader – the codename for the RAF's anti-Isis work in Iraq and Syria. But their aircraft have been armed with air-to-air missiles and the pilots have been given the green light to defend themselves if they are threatened by Russian pilots.

"The first thing a British pilot will do is to try to avoid a situation where an air-to-air attack is likely to occur — you avoid an area if there is Russian activity," an unidentified source from the UK's Permanent Joint Headquarters (PJHQ) told the Sunday Times. "But if a pilot is fired on or believes he is about to be fired on, he can defend himself. We now have a situation where a single pilot, irrespective of nationality, can have a strategic impact on future events."

The RAF Tornados aircraft will be armed with heat-seeking Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missiles (Asraams, also called AIM-132 missiles). These weapons, which cost £200,000 each, can reach triple the speed of sound and have a longer range than other air-to-air missiles, allowing RAF pilots to shoot down enemy aircraft without being targeted themselves.

Link

It seems that tensions between West and Russia are getting worse, are we watching the start of WW3 now. Is there peaceful solution out there, it seems that no-one is backing out and cat and mouse play is getting out of control.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Standard rules of engagement. Don't fire unless fired upon. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I see a game change in here. Now the planes are armed for that confortation, previously they were not. It takes one weak mind under pressure on the plane to start SHTF scenario.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

I see a game change in here. Now the planes are armed for that confortation, previously they were not. It takes one weak mind under pressure on the plane to start SHTF scenario.

not particularly

Its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

Thats like saying a concealed carry person is just out to shoot people.

No , its just in case

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

an unidentified source from the UK's Permanent Joint Headquarters (PJHQ) told the Sunday Times

When are we going to get some accountability from our actual governments about their intentions with Russia. So far with every story that reported aggression or the threat of, it has come from unidentified sources or twitter.

This is getting stupid...

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

It takes one weak mind under pressure on the plane to start SHTF scenario.

I don't see that one weak mind coming from the west after decades of constant warfare. Hopefully the Russians are equally well trained.

Also I seem to remember hearing something about the Russian aircraft coming in being armed for A2A. Most likely some British chest puffing to Vlad to say "hey don't # around there".

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

There have been dozens of times when armed aircraft have been flying in close formation, even when tensions were as high as they are now. Neither side wants a confrontation, and all they have to do to avoid it is obey their own rules.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Not really sure what the big deal is? RAF believes there's a chance Russian aircraft may engage RAF aircraft, so they give RAF aircraft a means to respond to that.

The way the headline makes it sound, it's as if RAF has told their pilots to go hunt bogeys.

No air to air threat = no air to air armament. Air to air threat appears, regardless of the actual chance of it happening = air to air armament being added to packages.

Pretty simple, since the alternative is "RAF Tornado shot down, had no means to defend itself" as a headline.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Our PM is an idiot and because he's failed at everything else, he feels the only way to be remembered is by playing tough, first nukes & now he's pretneding to be Winston Chruchill at the Battle of Britain haha.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Well Russians seem to make a lot of mistakes. Even their missiles do not hit the target in Syria.. not to mention their jet locking on to turkish plane few days ago. There is a ego in play specially on Russian side, they feel invincible and untouchable for everything they do.. including airspace violations.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
So as ive read these west propaganda pieces...the west is always the first to say " we will protect ourselves by engaging russian aircraft" .....the only time i hear russia say that if after thr west says/ makes the threat. Isnt the bad guys that always threaten first?! Putin has playef his hand with masterfull presicion...obama should just give up now

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Love to hear about engagements like the Israeli jets being warded off. I mean details, not just one liners. The Russian missions to interdict ground targets are covered by Fighters, the base is protected by Hind Ds and other air defenses.

They aren't messing around. I don't think the threat will develop from the air, it will be more likely surface to air missiles of the shoulder launch variety.

Imo, its only a matter of time before we hear about these being employed.

Anyone remember Afghanistan?

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
We have Russian jets and NATO jets flying above Syria both bombing ISIS but they are each on the other side of the conflict... this is a delicate situation.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

When are we going to get some accountability from our actual governments about their intentions with Russia. So far with every story that reported aggression or the threat of, it has come from unidentified sources or twitter.

Or the Russian Ministry of Defense, which boasts about hitting "terrorist targets" even when they are not Daesh.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
loll Mr Camaron showing his(false) theets to save his policy?

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Or the Russian Ministry of Defense, which boasts about hitting "terrorist targets" even when they are not Daesh.

Ignorant comments, such as this, are the reason why anyone would support the Russians to bomb this "terrorist groups" whether IS or not. Ignorance is bliss.

Whether IS or Deash or FSA or el Nusra, I don't care, they are all part of the problem of instability in the middle east. Anyone advocating this insurgency, fail to see how real innocent peoples lives are being affected by all this.

While we bask in our comfy homes behind our PC's seeping coffee, people are been displaced and suffering. And yet, some people have the guts to advocate and preach about how Russia is not bombing the right terrorist, pffft!.

Pity

Bomb away Putin for all I care, rid of this terrorist infection in the ME.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

Well when you look at it like that, why does your cheerleading mean anything more than others naysaying?

I imagine you're just as comfy as the rest....

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
if one western jet fires an missile on an russian jet the syrian airspace will be an no fly zone for western jets... legal...

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

If a Western aircraft fires a missile it's because they were fired on first, and have every right to defend themselves.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

Well when you look at it like that, why does your cheerleading mean anything more than others naysaying?

I imagine you're just as comfy as the rest....

Haha..cheerleading, what's you point anyway, do you not want IS over with?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join