It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who loves root vegetables?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
im a big fan.

yesterday i made a nice selection of root veggies. tossed them in olive oil and melted butter and roasted them all together. i had 4 pans going. when it was done i drizzled melted butter over them again.
i used
red skin potatoes
parsnips
butternut squash
turnips
carrots
pearl onions
shallots

fresh bulbs of garlic. used my pink sea salt and fresh peppercorn grinders on it

got the recipe from here

kerrygoldusa.com...

anyway, who is a fan?

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I like most vegetables. That sounds pretty good.

I have a salad recipe that I picked up out of the NYT that features roasted sweet potatoes and carrots on a bed of greens with a Greek yogurt dressing and roasted chick peas. It's really good.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I have a salad recipe that I picked up out of the NYT...

Waaaaaaait a second.

You read the The New York Times????? A known Liberal publication???

Did your fingertips start to itch or your eyeballs begin to burn?

edit on 11-10-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Put some Brussels Sprouts and whole mushrooms in there next time. I LOVE root veggies. We have roasted veggie mix all the time. Sneak some bacon in there if you can...

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I've been known to cruise the headlines, and articles there occasionally, and the food section has some good recipes. I do love my food.

I read a lot of stuff. People here might be surprised.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I've been known to cruise the headlines, and articles there occasionally, and the food section has some good recipes. I do love my food.

I read a lot of stuff. People here might be surprised.

I know, I was just being silly.

I could just picture you sitting their reading the Times with your Bill O'Reilly mug filled with hot coffee and turning the pages with salad tongs.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Sounds good, I like root veggies. Only one problem, I do not like squash and a squash isn't a root veggie so I can leave that one out. If you take about three pounds of baby reds, one onion, a half pound of carrots, a stick and a half of real butter, a cup of water, some garlic salt, sea salt, and pepper, and add them to a dutch oven and stick them over a fire or even in your oven stirring every fifteen minutes, they come out pretty good.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ha! Actually, I'm more likely to have a Yoda or Doctor Who mug. I'm too Geeky for O'Reilly. My husband is the one who likes to watch O'Reilly. I can't fathom why although I find O'Reilly a useful barometer to the squishy middle.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Sounds good, I like root veggies. Only one problem, I do not like squash and a squash isn't a root veggie so I can leave that one out. If you take about three pounds of baby reds, one onion, a half pound of carrots, a stick and a half of real butter, a cup of water, some garlic salt, sea salt, and pepper, and add them to a dutch oven and stick them over a fire or even in your oven stirring every fifteen minutes, they come out pretty good.

How about swapping the squash for sweet potatoes? Sweet potatoes are subterranean and they would give you a similar flavor to the squash?

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic that sounds so yummy, I love brussle sprouts and mushrooms. My favorite root vege is turnips. Yum I'm going to the grocery with this list!

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Fried sweet potato's. Cut up in small pieces.a lil brown sugar, a lil cinnamon, a lil clove.....fried in butter till nice and soft in the middle, but with the little edge of crispy fried goodness! Yea.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Just today I was checking my beets, turnips and sweet potatoes and dreaming of what it to come!
I'm partial to beets and sweet potatoes but my Beloved has cravings for turnips. We both like the greens of both turnips and beets---heck we like all kinds of greens.

One of my favorite beet recipes is roasted beet salad.
Wash beets, spread preferred fat on them (I like olive oil) and roast them until tender. Peel and chop. Add some roasted pecans, some pickled asparagus and a sprinkle of your favorite cheese. I like to sprinkle a bit of an apple cider vinaigrette as well but my Beloved eats his plain.

A favorite sweet potato bake that my grandmother made was chopped sweet potatoes and apples. Add a bit of brown sugar, spices of choice, (I like cinnamon and allspice) some butter and chopped pecans. Roast until tender. I add more butter when serving and a sprinkle of freshly-grated nutmeg.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I had a chef friend that would always make chips out of root vegetables, he would always have a bowl of them on the kitchen table. Very easy to make, just bake on a low heat and salt (or season) to taste. You can also do them in a food dehydrator. I guess you could fry them too but its a bit healthier without all the oil.

new topics

top topics

join