It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best musician you've never heard of

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I posted some songs of his another thread, thought I'd make one of my own. I always try to get people to listen to this guy if I can. He made some great music in his time. Nothing like that guitar.

(Hope you're not offended by a song about rape)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

Great musician he comes on several of my pandora stations pretty frequently. The black keys also created a tribute album with his songs. But you probably already knew that ha ha .

nice post!

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I love Toe... a Japanese indie math/post rock band. Kashikura Takashi on drums, Mino Takaaki on guitar, Yamane Satoshi on bass guitar, and Yamazaki Hirokazu on guitar.

Takashi could be one of the best drummer today. Here's one of my favorite

And here's a vid of their 8-Day European Tour a few years ago

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Perhaps I'm just getting old, and I'm too set in my ways but this sounds like fairly standard blues.

His guitar work uses lots of 'hammer-ons' as a rhythmic trick but it lacks the 'something' that others (who do the same thing) had.

This music doesn't 'speak to me' sorry.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Perhaps I'm just getting old, and I'm too set in my ways but this sounds like fairly standard blues.

His guitar work uses lots of 'hammer-ons' as a rhythmic trick but it lacks the 'something' that others (who do the same thing) had.

This music doesn't 'speak to me' sorry.

You don't have good taste in music then. The simplicity is what makes it good.

He's easily right up there with John Lee Hooker, Howling Wolf, RL Burnside, etc.

Also, this is not new music. These songs were recorded 50+ years ago.
edit on 27-9-2015 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut
Since you mentioned getting old, we're all getting old. I was just wondering if there is a correlation between a person's choice in music and his/her views in life? Just like we personally love to listen to certain genres of music, we have our own pet conspiracy theories that we're open to.

I just heard Toe a few years ago and became a fan, they've been around since early 2000.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
As a guitarist, I appreciate the old blues guys. Kimbrough had a very cool style, and he really had the drone thing down.
Rl Burnside comes to mind. (I see you mentioned him.)

Check out Leroy Simpson. To this day, no one knows who this guy really was. Very cool playing. Strange, almost dissonant phrasing,

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Song is downright spooky. I looked for more songs of his on YouTube but that's almost the only video that came up.

I wonder if it "speaks" to our friend chronaut, or if it's not quite good enough. Too standard for him, maybe.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaxTamesSiva
Since you mentioned getting old, we're all getting old. I was just wondering if there is a correlation between a person's choice in music and his/her views in life? Just like we personally love to listen to certain genres of music, we have our own pet conspiracy theories that we're open to.

I just heard Toe a few years ago and became a fan, they've been around since early 2000.

Yeah, I must admit, I'm listening to Toe right now.

I listen to the dubstep my kids listen to and, to me, some of it is really good but the emotional range it is capable of expressing is really narrow.

And I really like good Blues, but I've been in Blues & Jazz bands for years & things can become wearing after a while.

I love strongly emotional music or stuff that is really different. I also love big orchestral classical and some very avaunt garde stuff.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
The simplicity is what makes it good.

Yep, the only REAL blues are old-school...

Never been a big blues fan personally, I used to listen to some Bluegrass though...

As far as acoustic guitars go, Bruce Cockburn has been a favorite of mine for years...

edit on 27-9-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
As a guitarist, I appreciate the old blues guys. Kimbrough had a very cool style, and he really had the drone thing down.
Rl Burnside comes to mind. (I see you mentioned him.)

Check out Leroy Simpson. To this day, no one knows who this guy really was. Very cool playing. Strange, almost dissonant phrasing,

Leroy Simpson was a name the record company invented - real name was Lane Hardin. (Guess someone knows.
)

Linky

Yeah, I'm hard to please. 'Specially today.

edit on 27/9/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I hate it when people claim "best" or "greatest" musician. Music is art, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is no such thing as the "best" or the "greatest" when it comes to art, only opinion.

I find a lot of blues music all cookie-cutter with dull vocals, much like the OP. I'm with chr0naut here, I prefer a visceral musical experience which transports me into the soul of the artist (emotional connection). That being said I have a wide range of tastes from Metal, Rock, Pop and Electronica to Jazz, Opera, and Classical. There is no single Genre or Artist that can completely satisfy my tastes.
edit on 28-9-2015 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Maybe focusing on a guitarist's technique is not what makes or breaks a blues tune.

Your missing out if you judge Juniors songwriting purely on his guitar playing (which I find genuine and inspiring).

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

You don't have good taste in music then.

LOL You made key lime pie squirt out the sides of my mouth.

I'm not a blues fan either. I was listening to the Leroy Simpson posted earlier. My girlfriend comes to kiss me goodbye and asks incredulously "You're listening to the blues?" I play the blues sometimes to make her happy. However, I can't come close to Blind Boy Fuller.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Speaking of R.L. Burnside:

"Mamma Says I'm Crazy" by Fred Mcdowell and Johnny woods is some of my favourite blues.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Camille, yeah she also sang the theme song from Ratatouille.

Just heard of Durutti Column a few months back and I was stumped. Why haven't I heard of them before when they have been around since 1978? Even asked friends and relatives if they are familiar with the band. Glad to have found them.

I like blues in small doses, I find this more effective

edit on 09 11 2015 by MaxTamesSiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum
I hate it when people claim "best" or "greatest" musician. Music is art, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is no such thing as the "best" or the "greatest" when it comes to art, only opinion.

I find a lot of blues music all cookie-cutter with dull vocals, much like the OP. I'm with chr0naut here, I prefer a visceral musical experience which transports me into the soul of the artist (emotional connection). That being said I have a wide range of tastes from Metal, Rock, Pop and Electronica to Jazz, Opera, and Classical. There is no single Genre or Artist that can completely satisfy my tastes.

Sounds like you're just trying to justify your sh*t taste in music.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Vice versa.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Vice versa.

No, not really. I'm saying, as an objective fact, that you and the other poster's tastes are sh*t and mine are patently superior. I'm prepared to back up this assertion. We can gather a group of 100 willing participants and play for them a selection of music, one chosen by me and one by you. Afterwards we'll conduct a survey and ask which selection each participant preferred.

I hypothesize that they'll prefer mine, by a large margin.

Come at me.

You and that other quaint poster can go smoke pot and listen to Bassnectar for your "visceral music experience", this thread is for the big boys.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join