It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America was Founded on We the People, Not Christianity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
For some reason Christians hold to the idea that America and its foundations are rooted in Christianity. This is not true, America was founded on we the people, regardless of our religious affiliation. This is why there is Separation of Church and State and Freedom of Religion, the Founding Fathers wanted nothing to do with a nation that was rooted in religious ideology or dogma.

Just to drive this point home, I'll post some quotes from Thomas Jefferson, the writer of the Declaration of Independence, the document that is THE fundamental pillar of what America was/is supposed to be.

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.

I concur with you strictly in your opinion of the comparative merits of atheism and demonism, and really see nothing but the latter in the being worshipped by many who think themselves Christians.

And here are some doozies right here:

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

There are many others, you can find them HERE.

So how can Christians still claim that America was founded on Christian doctrines when a Founding Father who wrote the most important document in American history seems to reject Christian doctrine?

He even put together his own bible called the Jefferson Bible that excluded all miracles supposedly performed by Jesus, Jesus' resurrection, and all mentions of Jesus being divine.

And as an extra, a part of the Treaty of Tripoli that was written by another Founding Father, John Adams. This is from Article 11 of the Treaty:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion

So please quit with the assumptions that America was founded as a Christian nation, they're unfounded and completely untrue in every way.

Yes, Christianity has crept its way into our political structure here in the recent past, but it was not always that way. We have Separation of Church and State for a reason and that is NOT because we were founded as a Christian nation. America was founded on WE THE PEOPLE, regardless of what religion WE THE PEOPLE ascribe to.

Hopefully this will educate the uneducated and make them see reason.
edit on 9/22/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I've had a judge threaten to throw me in jail for contempt of court not wanting to swear on a Bible.
I did what I had to do, but I did not like it at all.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Even if the United States HAD been founded entirely on Christianity, there would be no reason to continue on with such a ridiculous mistake 200-plus years later.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

So how can Christians still claim that America was founded on Christian doctrines when a Founding Father who wrote the most important document in American history seems to reject Christian doctrine?

Because they're irrational & will spout any nonsense to legitimize their childish fairytale beliefs?

K~

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Thomas Jefferson also had slaves, fathered slaves and had every chance to free slaves

Whoever claims that we're a Christian nation didn't pay attention in social studies. Religions just get extra perk in this country but we have no official religion.

Our founding fathesr had other gods they prayed to imo

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Because a nation of primarily Christian people suddenly decided that they would become strict atheists when writing and deciding what the principles of their new nation would be ...

Uh-huh ...

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
America was founded by Christian people, but America isn't a theocracy, it isn't a Christian nation. It is a representative republic that happens to have a large population of Christians.

link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Thomas Jefferson and many other Founding Fathers were most likely deists, not Christian. Jefferson held Jesus in high regard, at least Jesus' philosophy, but he did not see him as God nor believe that he died for his sins.

People who believe America was founded as a Christian nation are misinformed at best and willfully ignorant at worst.

link   

• America was founded with the following philosophy in mind – The amplification of Ethics, personal growth, tolerance, education, diversity, philanthropy, family, community.
• The Declaration of Independence was a proclamation of the basis of this new and free country.
• Church must be separated from State.
• The United States Constitution and the Amendments allows equal protections for the individual and the collective and no-one must ever be negatively impacted by the decisions or actions of an individual or the collective.

Even the most vehement atheist will hold dear to those rites and values so yes, the US being a Christian nation is an opinion and has no basis in historic fact.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Care to address the words from Jefferson and Adams? They obviously believed America wasn't founded on Christianity, I'm sure they would know, they're the ones who helped to found it.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Yes and during that time (age of enlightenment) lots of people were questioning the establishment especially well off, educated men like Jefferson.
edit on 22-9-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Also, during that time our country had Catholics and Protestants all living together while in Europe they bickered back and forth about religious doctrine. Prussia-Protestant Austria-Catholic etc.

I think our founding fathers knew if they choose one the colonies wouldn't be united and made a great move by choosing neither and decided against any official religion.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
There is something relevant happening right now.

The fight against this type of belief is morally bankrupting America.

In the effort to fight against Christian morals we are adopting policies that remove our own morals.

You people are trying to drag us down with you.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Because a nation of primarily Christian people suddenly decided that they would become strict atheists when writing and deciding what the principles of their new nation would be ...

Uh-huh ...

The Founders unlike today's politicians knew that religion and politics doesn't mix. So they kept their faith in their home and place of worship where it belongs.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

In the effort to fight against Christian morals we are adopting policies that remove our own morals.

I found it a little funny that your avatar is a whale swallowing a dude.
I'm not trying to drag anybody anywhere.
I just don't like being looked down upon if I don't have someone else's beliefs.
I may a bit hedonistic at times, but I stil see myself as a good human.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: ketsuko

Care to address the words from Jefferson and Adams? They obviously believed America wasn't founded on Christianity, I'm sure they would know, they're the ones who helped to found it.

It wasn't founded as a theocracy, no, but it likewise wasn't founded as a system intended to be devoid of faith, either.

The only limit placed is the government is not to establish a state religion. There is no other limit, not even separation of church and state for all that people talk like it's gospel.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Is that why they prayed before sessions of Congress?

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

• America was founded with the following philosophy in mind – The amplification of Ethics, personal growth, tolerance, education, diversity, philanthropy, family, community.
• The Declaration of Independence was a proclamation of the basis of this new and free country.
• Church must be separated from State.
• The United States Constitution and the Amendments allows equal protections for the individual and the collective and no-one must ever be negatively impacted by the decisions or actions of an individual or the collective.

Even the most vehement atheist will hold dear to those rites and values so yes, the US being a Christian nation is an opinion and has no basis in historic fact.

I'm an atheist, and I approve this message
!!

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

It is a collective effort.

No matter who realizes their actions I think we can all see we are headed in the wrong direction.

I remember a time most of the stuff we see on the streets was kept in the bed room.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: deadeyedick

I found it a little funny that your avatar is a whale swallowing a dude.
I'm not trying to drag anybody anywhere.
I just don't like being looked down upon if I don't have someone else's beliefs.
I may a bit hedonistic at times, but I stil see myself as a good human.

As long as the beer is flowing, I love you man!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join