It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martin Shkreli - An Accidental Hero?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Yes this man is a douche and lacks a single empathic bone. However, he has exposed big pharma in a very real way.

It has become a national story and Presidential hopefuls are condemning Turing.

Bernie Sanders, an independent senator from Vermont, and Representative Elijah E Cummings (D-Md.) drew Turing into an already ongoing congressional investigation into recent drug price increases, sending a letter on Monday asking for information about total gross revenues from sales of Daraprim; prices paid for all sales; the prices in foreign markets; and the identity of company official(s) responsible for setting the price. Source

Fun fact: This guy owns a League of Legends pro-team that didn't make it into the professional league for next season, and rumors are flying about that he's attempting to buyout one of the teams that is currently in the league.
edit on 22-9-2015 by TheAmazingYeti because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-9-2015 by TheAmazingYeti because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Fun fact: This guy owns a League of Legends pro-team that didn't make it into the professional league for next season, and rumors are flying about that he's attempting to buyout one of the teams that is currently in the league.

Fun Fact: He's getting investigated for being the sleezebag he is:

Retrophin fired former CEO Martin Shkreli in October, and their new SEC filing reveals more about his apparent misdeeds

In total, Shkreli's shenanigans involved payouts of millions of dollars and the transfer of hundreds of thousands of shares of Retrophin stock, the company disclosed. These transactions, some of which Bloomberg Businessweek reported on at the time of Shkreli's ouster, have sparked a wave of civil lawsuits against Retrophin and Shkreli. The company also noted that, as Bloomberg News reported in January, Shkreli is under federal investigation.

www.bloomberg.com...
edit on 22-9-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Given his proclivity for posting pictures of $20,000 bottles of wine on twitter, and other douchey manoeuvres, Im inclined to believe the following is close to if not the whole truth.

The company he founded in 2009 sued Shkreli last month for $65 million in damages, claiming the ex-hedge fund manager gave away Retrophin shares to friends and used the biotech firm’s assets to pay off personal debts and keep afloat his sinking investment firm, MSMB Capital Management.

A filing made in November 2014 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission showed Shkreli pulled in nearly $3 million in gross proceeds as he continued selling company stock while simultaneously urging investors to buy into Retrophin — which the rapper-quoting then-CEO hyped on his Twitter account.

Shkreli began plundering Retrophin after his hedge fund — which eventually collapsed — made a “disastrous” investment in Orexigen, reported FierceBiotech.

MSMB Capital Management lost more than $7 million and went “virtually bankrupt” after the 2011 investment, but Shkreli formed a health care-focused branch of the hedge fund to keep the company afloat rather than telling investors he lost their money.

Shkreli finally told investors he was dissolving the hedge fund to focus on Retrophin — and he offered to redeem their investments in cash or stock in his new company, the website reported.

www.rawstory.com...
edit on 22-9-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I hope this little sh•t dies from a disease that has no cure that money can buy.

edit: and it is painful

edit on 22-9-2015 by ugmold because: addition

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The term hero has come to not mean much any more given it's over use, but this is a new low.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Notice which PRESIDENTTAL candidate is going after him! BERNIE!!! GO BERNIE!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

It's called grandstanding.

Candidates do it to impress their dim-witted constituency.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Just for the record, fame and infamy are not the same thing. Being infamous is actually a bad thing because it means you're well known for negative reasons.

That would be like saying Dylann Roof and George Zimmerman are actually heroes because they brought America's current racial problems into the public eye.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
I hope this little sh•t dies from a disease that has no cure that money can buy.

edit: and it is painful

Why would you want him to die when he can just suffer horribly for a few decades and go broke trying to ease his pain? That would be much more fitting.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hero..NOT sociopath..yes.
I honestly want to reach through the computer and smash that smirk off his ugly face.
edit on 22-9-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
He was probably inspired by Trump's presidential run.

"He's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight." - Lt. James Gordon

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I disagree. It's called looking out for the little guy, doing his job as a U.S. Senator from the great state of Vermont. I'll overlook you "dim-witted constituency comment" totally uncalled for.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

here's something interesting

Hunter College High School gets record $1M gift from grad

It’s the biggest individual donation in the Manhattan school’s 101-year history, Hunter College High School officials said Monday. “I really cleaned up in the business world. I have to give thanks,” said Shkreli, who gave a special shout out to his math teacher, Linda Aboody. “Ms. Aboody was just a wonderful teacher — her logic class was unbelievably helpful,” he said.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

“I really cleaned up in the business world

I think he meant, "I am really crooked in the business world".

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I disagree. It's called looking out for the little guy, doing his job as a U.S. Senator from the great state of Vermont. I'll overlook you "dim-witted constituency comment" totally uncalled for.

That wasn't directed at you, but at the sheeple that fall for these tired ploys.

All Bernie did was send a letter. That isn't exactly looking out for anyone.

# # #

On Topic: I am sure we can both agree that this Martin Shkreli is a scum bag. It sounds like he leaves a wake of investors and colleagues holding the bag while he moves on to find more victims.
edit on 2015/9/22 by Metallicus because: Added Spacing for Clarity...no text changed

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

That wasn't directed at you, but at the sheeple that fall for these tired ploys.

All Bernie did was send a letter. That isn't exactly looking out for anyone.

# # #

On Topic: I am sure we can both agree that this Martin Shkreli is a scum bag. It sounds like he leaves a wake of investors and colleagues holding the bag while he moves on to find more victims.

Well if you knew what Bernie was about you wouldn't call this "grandstanding" It is what Bernie is all about, and has been for a very longtime, check him out.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Does the whole world just have to sit through these campaign ads. That is what it seems to be.

Try to stay on topic.

If I ever want to know about the fixed horse race I can nip over to the appropriate (2016 Election) forum.

But this is not it. I do not need to 'check out Bernie.'

I would rather check out Bernard, at least that was amusing.

P

edit on 22/9/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Actually Clinton had harsher words and is going after him claiming shed have a proposal against price gouging tomorrow.

I dislike Clinton, and not a fan of Sanders because of some of his extreme views, but obviously price gouging and monopolies are a problem.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

and coming from a trump supporter is just comedy gold

new topics

top topics

join