It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Eiffel Tower closed after terror suspect spotted with backpack

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

The alarm was raised after a man with a 'large backpack' was seen ascending the famous attraction in Paris.

Anti-terror police supported by a helicopter could be seen at the Eiffel Towers after the terror alert happened at 9am.

A police source assisting with the evacuation of the tower said: "There's been a report of a man with a rucksack."

The tower has frequently been threatened by terrorist groups, including al-Qaeda and Islamic State (ISIS).

A police cordon was formed around the tower and tourists who had been queuing to get inside were moved to the banks of the nearby River Seine.

Security surrounding the Eiffel Tower has been stepped up since the Paris terror attacks in January.

BREAKING: Eiffel Tower closed after terror suspect spotted with backpack

Eiffel Tower Under Lockdown After Suspected Terrorist Seen Climbing It: Reports

Breaking News: Eiffel Tower Under Lockdown After Suspected Terrorist Seen Climbing It: Reports Eiffel Tower, the iconic landmark in Paris, is under lock down after a suspected terrorist was seen climbing the monument with a rucksack, say local media reports. The anti-terrorist police squad is at the spot, say reports. More details are awaited.

Just breaking, so not much info. This could become huge.
edit on 20/9/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
So was this guy already a "terror suspect", or he is only a "terror suspect" for having the audacity to wear a backpack whilst visiting a tourist attraction?

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

A man was spotted with a Large backpack?

Yep, time to ban Backpacks, I think.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

I think I read somewhere that it was a known terrorist. But I could be wrong.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

So a guy with a backpack is sightseeing and the Tower must close. We live in paranoid times, tis sure.

link   

originally posted by: asen_y2k

I hope so, otherwise this is just stupid.

link   
Hopefully this is just a false alarm. I'd think if some group wanted to do real damage, such as taking the tower down, they'd go for one of the legs.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

Very true. Being dark skin and carrying a bag can get you killed. Shot by police. This is becoming a very paranoid world.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Well this will be interesting. I am sure if he was a known terrorist and was planning something big he would have detonated by now if he saw the cops closing in.. .

Outside of that....just a dude with a backpack. Maybe it's Dora's brother? Where's the map?

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

Very true. Being dark skin and carrying a bag can get you killed. Shot by police. This is becoming a very paranoid world.

So has he been shot by police or are you saying that the police just shoot dark skinned people carrying bags?

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Unless the bag contained something other than explosives - such as an airborne virus .....

It's been a while now , this was reported as 9am and nothing more in the news, it's currently 4.30pm French time now ?

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Latest Info:

The anti-terrorist police squad at the spot and is searching for the suspect, say local reports

LINK

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

No I am saying, in the future there is a possibility that dark skinned people with bags can be shot by police out of paranoia, especialy if his movement seems aggressive or just suspicious to the particular police officer.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Here was another option offered from another story:

"But as today’s hunt for the man continued, police did not rule out the possibility that he might be an extreme parachutist hoping to jump off the structure.

So they aren't ruling out a parachute....but they know it was a terror suspect? How's that work?
edit on 9/20/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

The world has gone paranoid.
But then, just cause you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

A man was spotted with a Large backpack?

Yep, time to ban Backpacks, I think.

It is no joking matter.

He could have a clock in that bag.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

The landmark reopened after more than four hours, but the suspect was not caught and his whereabouts were still unknown.

There was speculation in the French media that the person in question may have been a parachutist seeking to jump from the 324-meter monument as part of an “extreme sport” act.

“It’s happened before,” said a police source. “The parachutist hides his kit the night before, and then gets into the tower and jumps off, while filming.” In 2005, a Norwegian tourist died while attempting the same jump.

www.timesofisrael.com...

That would be quite the jump.
I wonder why they never found anyone?
The only way to go is down....

So it looks like whoever might of hid something up there....

*ponder*
edit on 20-9-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

So a guy with a backpack is sightseeing and the Tower must close. We live in paranoid times, tis sure.

I suppose you missed that part about the guy "climbing" the tower. That's not something a common tourist does.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I doubt things are like that in France.

edit on 20/9/2015 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Three suspects reported now...

PARIS: The Eiffel Tower was shut to all visitors on Sunday after three "terrorist suspects" with "large rucksacks" were seen ascending France's most popular tourist attraction.

One source

edit on 20-9-2015 by dreamingawake because: changed for update

<<   2  3 >>

join