It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Understand The FAM

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
You know, the Fat Acceptance Movement. I am having a very hard time understanding this movement. Whenever I have heard of any movement in the past, they have usually stood for good things, like rights for women or rights for minorities etc. This movement baffles me for many reasons.

I can understand the argument that overweight personnel are made to feel worthless and/or get made fun of a lot. I totally get this and am also against making these people feel less than human or less than any other type of people.

I feel that this movement is confusing the acts of making overweight people feel worthless and it being ok to be unhealthy. Make no mistake, being overweight is very unhealthy. The fact that this movement continues to proclaim that it doesn't matter how much you weigh, you can still be healthy is grossly mistaken.

Another claim by the FAM is "Its none of your business". Well actually it is my business and the rest of the American taxpayer's business.

I am not a doctor, but whenever I have wanted to lose weight, I turned to simple math. If you consume less calories than you burn, you lose weight. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight.

What is the leading cause of obesity according to the CDC? Behavior.

Thats right, its behavior. What about Genetics? Takes too long according to the CDC, to be a problem.

www.cdc.gov...

Where did the term obesity come from? Is it just a nice word for fat? I think it is. And that is part of the problem. We as a society are too nice, everyone wins etc. We need to strive for survival of the fittest and not "here is a medal for playing" etc.

Have you noticed how big kids are today? I sure have and its alarming. I dont remember kids being that big when I was a kid. But then again, I was a kid that went out to play along with the other kids. I also was a huge gamer too, but I balanced them both. Again, behavior.

So can someone please convince me that this movement is something worth listening to. Am I completely off base here?

Here are some links about how obesity in America costs the taxpayer more and more each year:

www.cdc.gov...
www.forbes.com...
www.phitamerica.org...
stateofobesity.org...
www.obesitycampaign.org...

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: illusion987

Where did the term obesity come from

It's a medical term. 'Morbid obesity" describes someone 100 lbs or more overweight, and means that it can cause the person's death.

Morbid obesity is caused by an eating disorder, food addiction, similar to addiction to nicotine or other substances, and should be treated as such. It's very difficult to get a handle on, like most addictions.

Another claim by the FAM is "Its none of your business".

They are correct. It's not.
edit on 9/15/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

It was more of a rhetorical question, I realize its an actual word, but the reason for the use of that word instead of fat is the question, can you answer that instead?

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

the fat acceptance movement, ludicrous.

how are people supposed to get healthy with these jokers running around

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: illusion987
a reply to: angeldoll

It was more of a rhetorical question, I realize its an actual word, but the reason for the use of that word instead of fat is the question, can you answer that instead?

Seriously? I assume since your first question about the meaning of obesity was rhetorical, this one must be too.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Where did the term obesity come from? Is it just a nice word for fat? I think it is. And that is part of the problem. We as a society are too nice, everyone wins etc

I think it's quite the opposite. People are not nice and that has been the reason the FAM has it's support. Calling someone fat in a conversation is like calling a gay person a fag. If we wanted to talk about the issue without being offensive we would say obese, or homosexual.

It's not about being PC to use the appropriate terms. It's a matter of respect.

I can support the ideals behind FAM because they offer support and understanding for those that have been bullied because of their weight and want to find others that they can connect with.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Obesity is obviously used instead of the term fat, though I believe the term fat came as a "slang" term after obesity was originally used to describe being overweight...similar to saying "sex" instead of F#@K.

Anywho...yes....it is all a part of the politically correct movement of hurt feelings and Wussification of America.

I have no problem with anyone (adult) eating themselves to death...their choice. What I DO have a problem with is those people who allow their children to do so. Kids will overindulge on anything they like, it is a parents responsibility to make sure they don't.

Anywho....movements are all biased and typically start when someone gets a bit butthurt because they don't like how someone else is doing something, and probably never had a dose of reality at a young age to let them know that not everyone in the world thinks they are special.....

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Obesity
Etymology of obesity
From French obésité, which is from Latin obesitas, which means "fatness," and from obesus, which means "something that's eaten itself fat." Roots are from "ob" (which means over) and "edere" which means to eat.

Source: wyant

It's not necessarily a nice way to say fat, it just means fat. And I agree that the attitude that you can be healthy at any weight is dangerous. But the reverse trend is just as dangerous. Especially with adolescent and post-adolescent girls/women. Thigh gap doesn't mean sexy, it means malnourished. As do broomstick arms.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ozsheeple

the fat acceptance movement, ludicrous.

how are people supposed to get healthy with these jokers running around

Health and understanding one's body is part of that movement. They also discuss the effects that the "diet craze" has had on overweight people and how the craze is part of the problem.

Look in to it before you come to any incorrect assumptions.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

What is wrong with diet and exorcise? They make it seem like dieting is a bad thing right? Why else would they use the buzz word "diet craze"

Health is not part of the movement, it cant be if they believe that you can be healthy and overweight at the same time.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

What is wrong with diet and exorcise?

Nothing.

They make it seem like dieting is a bad thing right?

No. They talk about and address many issues regarding diets, which ones are effective and which ones are money-making fads.

Why else would they use the buzz word "diet craze"

I used that term.

Health is not part of the movement, it cant be if they believe that you can be healthy and overweight at the same time.

Then you need to look in to the matter and educate yourself before you form an opinion.
edit on 15-9-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I think it is a move to pull your attention away from the "gigantic" pink elephant in the room.

Obesity in America today is a problem not because of how much Americans eat. Obesity in America is because of what Americans eat.

The majority of the food eaten in America can barely be classified as food. Even food that is claimed to be enriched or fortified, has little or nutritional value. Basically people are eating larger portions of food but are still starving.

So it is another game of, " kick the hell out of the puppet ", but ignore the puppet master.

Another -Deny Ignorance- :Fail:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Educate me, instead of just telling me I am wrong. How can you be healthy and overweight at the same time?

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I've never heard of it.

There are MANY behaviors that people indulge in by their own choice, that are dangerous and even fatal.
NFL Football
NASCAR
Motocross
Skydiving
Rock Climbing
Base Jumping
Smoking
Drinking
Driving

So, if you're upset about obesity, are you equally concerned about the freedom of these people to CHOOSE how to live their own lives?

Listen to the movement or not. Your choice.

I KNOW how serious the epidemic of obesity is, but each person must have the freedom to choose their lifestyle. I think people need to get their noses out of other people's business. It's one thing for the government to support a healthy lunch option in their schools, but quite another for individuals to go all judgmental and forceful when observing others' lives.

It really is none of your business. Our taxes go for a LOT of things we disapprove of. That's the price of living in a free society.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: illusion987

Educate me, instead of just telling me I am wrong. How can you be healthy and overweight at the same time?

You're focusing on one small part of the issue and not looking at the bigger picture. But I think we have to ask ourselves why can't someone be overweight and not be healthy? We're not talking about the morbidly obese. We're talking about those that may be slightly overweight.

Being a little overweight is not that big of a deal when it comes to health. When you get in to the extremes, that's when it's an issue.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Bingo! Although I'm thin, I've found I eat out more and "pick up something', because it's easier. It's hard for a person to work all day, then come home and 'cook'. People don't want to do it anymore. I know I don't. But I agree it's mostly garbage. We need more "home cooking' drive through places. Lol!

I know plenty of tips on how to manage this.. cook on Sunday, freeze, blah blah. No thanks.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
So you are against accepting other people for who they are and find fault with a movement designed to promote acceptance? You are a peach.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
So you are against accepting other people for who they are and find fault with a movement designed to promote acceptance? You are a peach.

Fat Lives Matter

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Very often the problem is far more than over eating.

We are a reflection of our machines and the mechanical inefficiency relates to our health.

What came first in our world mass obesity or 10mpg cars?

I do not think anyone will ever be able to understand the movement without all the unknown facts.

Sure electric cars are the answer if you want to end up as data on a hard drive.

Rage against the machines!

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Sorry, your augment is invalid. Heart disease is Americas number one killer above everything else. Those items are far and few between.

Also these 3 do not effect me at all:

Skydiving
Rock Climbing
Base Jumping

I say jump.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join