It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India reportedly interested in Scorpion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
With the almost complete failure of HAL to develop an intermediate jet trainer, India is said to be interested in the Textron Scorpion to fill that role. HAL has been working on a replacement IJT since 1997 and was recently asked to stop work on the aircraft.

This would mark the first sale for the Scorpion, but India has had major problems with defense acquisitions going years and millions over budget. At least one program has had a price extension 13 times. Another was about to face an almost doubling of price because negotiations have been going on for seven years after the selection was made.

www.financialexpress.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
That's awesome. I'm a big fan of that bird and really hope it gets the sales they're hoping for. Of course, I've always had a soft spot for Cessnas. I wouldn't be surprised if countries that currently/previously operated the T/A-37 were keeping their eyes open on this one too.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Now if they can only get the deal to go through in less than 15 years.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Was the Scorpion bid for the new US trainer?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

No. It was built as a light attack/fighter that could be used as a trainer.
edit on 9/5/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I knew the former. I was curious if they'd taken it to bid for the new trainer. It seemed a stretch, but I'm never one to think I know all.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

No. All the designs except the T-100/M-346 are clean sheet designs that have yet to fly.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I don't think it fits the requirements for the new trainer. There aren't that many jets out there that currently do, that could be considered trainers, hence the drive for two clean sheet designs.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

I don't think it fits the requirements for the new trainer. There aren't that many jets out there that currently do, that could be considered trainers, hence the drive for two clean sheet designs.

The customer requirements are going to drive the price to spike -- and they are realizing it, slowly. There's already talk of relaxing the sustained-G requirement, and perhaps some others.

Textron designed the wing-box to accept different wings from the outset. With more powerful engines and a swept-wing, the Scorpion might be viable depending on how the requirements eventually shakeout. And the USAF would not be the only potential interested party.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Cool NOW they have the Indians to shake it down first.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I hope this aircraft picks up some steam. It's incredibly simple, surprisingly versatile, and I think very pretty.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I just cand help shudder when I think of Indian Defence acquisitions. Although we did manage to sell them the Hawk after a couple of goes, the French Rafale deal seems completely impotent and I am sure it's not the only one they drawn out.

How many different types of aircraft do India want?!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

They're buying as many as they can because they keep screwing deals up. They're trying to get an SH-60 platform and have asked for 13 extensions on price for negotiations. The price is about to jump because of it.

top topics

join