It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Archaeologists Really Think About Ancient Aliens, Lost Colonies, And Fingerprints Of The Gods

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Tsurugi

Precession goes through all those same apparent motions.
No. It doesn't. It has no effect upon them.
Precession changes the "season" in which constellations rise. That's it.

This is why it is called the Precession of the Equinoxes
Yes, because it causes the equinoxes to move from month to month over time. It does not change the appearance of the constellations. The spring equinox now occurs on March 20. Precession causes that date to change over time. That is all it does. It does not change the relationship of stars to each other. It does not change the relationship of constellations to the ecliptic. It does not change the relationship of the horizon to the ecliptic.

edit on 9/6/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk

unfortunately, the authors of this nonsense have no reason for 10,000bce to be special

Well, that statement demonstrates that you haven't actually read what the authors wrote about this. Opinions born of ignorance do not make for credible arguments.

they had some cheap astrology software and just ran the alignment back until they found one that looked good

They used an early version of Stellarium. Its planetarium software. You could use it for astrology, I guess...but your readings might be funky since Stellarium calculates for precession and other long-term celestial cycles, which western astrology ignores.
Also, Stellarium is not cheap. It's free.

again, cherry picking on that magnitude, hardly makes it credible

Have you never done any puzzle solving? You move things around, looking at them in various ways, extracting possible clues from your observations, attempting ideas formed from those clues, until suddenly things fall into place. Its a very credible way to solve puzzles. Because it works.

I find it funny you think they were "cherry picking". Please explain how you can think that when you don't know what they said, what they were looking for, what software they used, what context they applied, what information they had or didn't have, etc., etc.

and to the Egyptians at the time of Khufu, Orions belt was meaningless.

Right. So little evidence remains from Old Kingdom Egypt that archaeologists freely admit there are huge gaps in our knowledge of those times. But I guess making definitive statements from ignorance is sort of a specialty of yours.

If you can't see why the OCT is nonsense then you should go back to culture school

Possibly it is complete nonsense, I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that you have no idea whether or not it's nonsense, because you don't know anything about it--worse, you think you know a lot about it, but all of the things you "know" are completely wrong.
Im touched that you are concerned with my continuing education. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

Not a crane in the world could lift 1000 ton sections of material.

Actually, we can lift way more than that FYI.

What would a Heavyweight tournament be without a Taisun? No, not Mike Tyson, this Taisun is the world’s biggest gantry crane. Housed in Shandong Province in China, it can lift 20,000 metric tons without so much as blinking. It even has the official lifting record registered in the Guinness Book of World Records. Respect comes from all around the world for this mega-crane

Source

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Another archeological myth proven to exist in real life...

ATS Thread - Tunnels Under Puebla, Mexico, Long Considered Myth, Now Confirmed
edit on 6-9-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tsurugi

Possibly it is complete nonsense, I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that you have no idea whether or not it's nonsense, because you don't know anything about it--worse, you think you know a lot about it, but all of the things you "know" are completely wrong.

If you like I can link you to discussions I've had about Zep Tepi and Hancock/Bauval OCT going back a decade on various webstes, I deliberately left details out of the post you are responding to, because I didn't want this to descend into a discussion on the nitty gritty of that subject.

Rest assured I do know what I'm talking about and have done so for years, you don't get 36,898,814 stars on this website from being ignorant.

edit on 7-9-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: Marduk

Dogs and wolves evolved from a common ancestor though... Where is the common ancestor for man and ape?

Why is it not plausible to admit we don't know everything about our history or evolution so ignoring possible avenues of exploration into non traditional realms would further that ignorance.

The basis of science is the statement - "I don't know".

Xcathdra,
Dont see you around these parts to often, welcome.
I started this reply a few dozen posts ago, but got sidetracked, this thread is unusually vigorous.
As to the evolution of dogs, it's not as simple as your link implies. If delve into the compendium of recent research, and there is a decent amount of it, the question of the origin of dogs is hardly settled.
From your link,

The study, published in PLoS Genetics on January 16, 2014, also shows that dogs are more closely related to each other than wolves, regardless of geographic origin. This suggests that part of the genetic overlap observed between some modern dogs and wolves is the result of interbreeding after dog domestication, not a direct line of descent from one group of wolves.

This reflects a more complicated history than the popular story that early farmers adopted a few docile, friendly wolves that later became our beloved, modern-day companions. Instead, the earliest dogs may have first lived among hunter-gatherer societies and adapted to agricultural life later.

"Dog domestication is more complex than we originally thought,"

It is an extremely complicated subject that ties directly into the question of human dispersal as well.

That paper , as most purely genetic studies do, is looking at the question from a very narrow focus, that doesn't come close to giving the whole picture.
Dogs were very much domesticated by 28kya, the oldest dog remains Goyet Belgium are 34k old the their is the altai dog, Siberia 32kya.
The dogs found at predmosti, Czech, rep. 30kya, are wolves in the midst of domestication, they are showing the signs of being adapted living with humans.
The snout becomes wider and shorter and the teeth shorter, this is in response to the change in diet , from a hunter eating visceral and skeletal muscle, to eating scraps or meat provided by humans.
These dogs ate almost exclusively carribou, while their humans ate mammoth.
They also are the beginings of the dogs of the people of the arctic.
Here's a couple of good links

www.sciencedirect.com...

www.researchgate.net...

An interesting thing of note, there has been a specimen uncovered in Alaska(Beringia), of a wolf like canid, that the finder called a short faced wolf, 68-70kya, that has a skull features of a domesticated animal, short wide snout and shorter more conical teeth, for crushing bones.
Enough about the wolf side of family, a couple of papers allude to an extinct Asian wolf or dog that contributes the hybrid that is today's dog, some 30 k years ago,
But this canid is already a dog by 34kya in the altai dog.
Its with these ancient Asian dogs that see the second of the two branches of the dogs tree.
They have decidedly different body plans, the Asian( native American dog) is typified by short hair, compact body with short wide snout, and an upright curly tail.km
The wolf has the long narrow snout with longer hair and a more gracile body overall, with a low hanging straight tail.
Also the predmosti dogs are an excellent example of physical evolution at work. You have an animal that is wolf whose jaws have adapted to a change in behavior and diet , due to a change in environment(human interaction).

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10
I tend to go along with the dyslexic, agnostic insomniac who stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog.
But that's just me.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
a reply to: Reallyfolks

Not a crane in the world could lift 1000 ton sections of material.

Actually, we can lift way more than that FYI.

What would a Heavyweight tournament be without a Taisun? No, not Mike Tyson, this Taisun is the world’s biggest gantry crane. Housed in Shandong Province in China, it can lift 20,000 metric tons without so much as blinking. It even has the official lifting record registered in the Guinness Book of World Records. Respect comes from all around the world for this mega-crane

Source

Came out in 2008 not sure it helped much with the great platform, but my bad

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'm pretty sure there was some kind of bug afew years back that gave random users an overload of stars.

Just spent a good hour reading through this post aha, please to the believers of lost technology and aliens don't put all archaeologists into some evil box of people who are trying to fool/lie you. When your work is solely based on evidence and what is found on site it's difficult to make everybody happy, especially when proving other peoples hard beliefs wrong.

When random money grabbers such as Hancock comes along using peoples curiosity of the unexplained incredible human feats to make his money and in the process crapping actual hard work conducted by experts aye they are gonna be annoyed. You realise these claims literally have no evidence what so ever, it's just like believing in a religious explanations for things instead of scientific IMO.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I took many history classes at OSU in the 1980s. American History, classical mythology, sociology, art history, film history, photography history. The classes seemed to be scrubbed clean of any and all scandals and anything controversial. A family member wrote a book about the American Midwest Indians. They studied diaries and letters, finding tons of scandal in the past, same as our personal lives are loaded with other people's current scandals going on in the present. History is not some neat tidy overview summed up. Once you see a pair of UFOs together and you are college minded you will have trouble readjusting all your stiff teachings from the academics. Everything comes into question. We are taught things that keep society stabilized and productive for children and the elderly. The truth is probably too much for most people to understand. I think we should broaden our minds and learn the truth and accept it. Books should be rewritten for history annually. Commitment and responsibility to each other should be very important, no matter what our past is.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Can we get back to the topic?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

new topics