It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Combat Coded F-35's are now delivered to HAFB

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

The want to decommission at least some of them and transition their maintenance personnel to the F-35 program, and they were going to retire the entire fleet, but they can't retire anything without congressional approval, and Congress refused to allow them to without a replacement flying.

They're a security package and training force. They've been traveling Europe in small packages to the Baltic States and other areas training with them, and letting them learn how to do JTAC jobs among other things.

Roger that , thanks for the update bud, anything military I always look for your posts

Thanks for keeping us Up to speed

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What the hell is a) IOC and b) combat coded?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

IOC is Initial Operating Capability. That means that the aircraft are capable of deploying and using at least a basic weapons load in combat.

Combat Coded means that they have all the systems and avionics needed to be used in combat. Previous aircraft that are added to the combat fleet will have to go back and have systems added or upgraded before they're considered combat ready. These are the first aircraft to come off the line with everything already up to date and technically ready for combat.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
I have no idea where the HELL Hill AFB is!!! But I'm sure YOU do and just felt well, I don't care they can just Google it or something! Well I say FOOWEE!!

I think you are right, Ogden is not in the US....I think it is closer to Mars

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ahhh okay. Thanks Z

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

The F-35B, which is the Marine version, achieved IOC at the end of July, with VMFA-121 out of MCAS Yuma. They can only carry basic weapons right now, but they're able to go into combat.

These are the first F-35As to be sent to a combat squadron, and the Rams are scheduled to achieve IOC around next summer. Both the A and B should reach FOC, or Full Operating Capability sometime around 2020, when they get the final versions of their software, which is the most complex code ever put into an aircraft.

The F-35C, which has begun testing on carriers, and is getting ready to fly out to sea again in October, is going a different route. The Navy has chosen to wait until the final version of software is ready, and won't declare IOC until 2019.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
I have no idea where the HELL Hill AFB is!!! But I'm sure YOU do and just felt well, I don't care they can just Google it or something! Well I say FOOWEE!!

I think you are right, Ogden is not in the US....I think it is closer to Mars

Actually Venus.

It is where all the hot chicks are with super powers.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Just a nitpick, but they technically aren't deployed. Deployed means away from home station. Delivered would be more appropriate.

And glad to see them finally getting them. This is a huge first step towards IOC next year.
I think the term is fielded?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

That's one that has been used in the past.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

IOC is Initial Operating Capability. That means that the aircraft are capable of deploying and using at least a basic weapons load in combat.

Combat Coded means that they have all the systems and avionics needed to be used in combat. Previous aircraft that are added to the combat fleet will have to go back and have systems added or upgraded before they're considered combat ready. These are the first aircraft to come off the line with everything already up to date and technically ready for combat.

Was it not announced a few months ago that they were a couple of years away from having the software perfected for the cannon?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

No, it's already perfected but it won't be included in software until the next increment comes out.

edit on 9/2/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

No, it's already perfected but it won't be included in software until the next increment comes out.

It was stated here that they are combat ready. But you are saying they are not. The software was fixed but still on the shelf? Why would it not be loaded into the planes, if the system minus the software is ready and waiting?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The A model is not combat ready. The B model is. They're different animals.

Because installing software on an aircraft isn't like installing it on a computer. It has to be tested on the ground extensively, then on a test aircraft that can isolate the new software in case of trouble, and finally on a few actual aircraft before it gets installed in the fleet. This is the most complex code ever written for an aircraft.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join