It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Shark 0 : Seal 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Short but sweet , well sweet for the seal that escaped an invitation to dinner from a rather large White Shark.

The video comes from Dr. Greg Skomal of the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries working with Atlantic White Shark Conservancy.
As a Brit lamenting the absence of summer this year just looking at that warm sparkling water and pristine beach is food for the soul.
www.atlanticwhiteshark.org...

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I think they found that if the seal can survive that first charge from the shark, their odds of survival go way up because they have maneuverability on the shark. It's just making it past that first charge ... That is the trick.

It would be interesting to see if they could ever do a predation study for Whites like they have with other large predators. They have a rough idea how successful other animals are in the hunt, but I'm not sure if those numbers exist for shark/seal interactions like this one.

I remember seeing a doc about how they studied immature albatross learning to fly, mutton birds I think they are also called. About the time that the parents abandon the fledged chicks who then are driven to learn to fly by hunger, the tiger sharks show up around the island. The chicks aren't any good at flying and a lot of them take off and manage to land in the water around the island and sit there paddling. The tiger sharks feast on them.

But, every year, they've documented a sort of "learning curve" in the shark predation. At first, the sharks are sort of haphazard and clumsy in their attempts to take chicks off the surface, so a lot of them manage to get away by taking flight off the surface. But as time goes on, the sharks get a lot better at it, so they take more chicks who mess up their early flight experiments.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Felt like I just watched a real life Pokemon battle.

Vs.

join