It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Volcano Erupts In Andaman Islands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Barren-1, a volcano located on a sub-island of the Andaman and Nicobar islands, has reportedly erupted following the massive earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean basin. There is no word of injuries at this time.

www.news.com.au
INDIA's last active volcano, in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, has erupted in the aftermath of the earthquake that set off tsunamis killing thousands of people, official sources said today.

People have been evacuated from Barren Island since the eruption began on Tuesday night and there are no reports of injury.

Lava was flowing out of the rim of the crater, which towers above the Indian Ocean, the sources said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Barren-1 has been dormant for 10 years, its last eruption occurring in 1994 into 1995.

[edit on 2-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Yikes, Mother Earth is back and man is she pissed off. Wonder what else is in store

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
somebody is definetly pissed!
so much natural disasters in this "holliday" time.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Dear god.... at least nobody seems to have been injured....

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Yes, it does seem she is a bit pissed off. I was going to post a story about a volcano in Russia also erupting on the 28th, but decided not to do it.... To reiterate why i was not going to post it, I think we had a lot of bad news, and didn't want to give anything even remotely bad.

Anyways, here is the link to the story.

2004-12-28 12:30 * RUSSIA * KAMCHATKA * VOLCANO * ACTIVITY *
VOLCANO BECOMES ACTIVE IN KAMCHATKA

Noone was injured and this eruption was just of ashes which reached a heigth of 5,000 m above sea level.

---edited to add comment---

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   
from Herald Sun:

The volcano, known as Barren 1, is located 135km north-east of the capital Port Blair and last erupted in 1996.

It runs about 150 fathoms under the sea and usually gives off smoke.

M M Mukherjee of the Geological Survey of India said the volcano presented little real danger.

"The risk is minimised because it is surrounded by the sea so if at all there is a lava flow it will roll off into the sea," he said.

The Andamans has reported a series of major aftershocks daily since the massive undersea earthquake off Sumatra.

The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are located near a zone of intense tectonic activity.

A second volcano, called Narcondam and considered dormant, lies close to Barren Island, which also erupted in 1991 after more than a century of inactivity.

I hope tit is the last this type of news for today. At least it's good that there is no danger for people this time...

[edit on 30-12-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Volcanos go off all the time, the only reason we are hearing this now is because of this whole stupid tsunami deal, and of course, I expected this from the mainstream media. What I didn't expect however, was this from a site with the phrase deny ignorance stamped all over it; this is nothing but a distraction from the truely important issues.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
kookoo?

How did you choose this particular name?
If fits you..

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Yeah kookoo - what's not important about the fifth largest earthquake in recorded history with a loss of life of over 100k and pray tell what are the really important issues that you refer to??

Wow - you must have a whopper of an alien rectal probe up your A$$ to be that crass for the dis'in of the suffering that is going on over there. Who pee'd in your Cheerios..?? Lighten up and have a f'in heart for a few minutes....

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Map of the Andaman and Nicobar islands. The volcano Barren 1 is located on Barren Island.

No wonder that India has issued a new tsunami alert.

The alert was issued by officials in Tamil Nadu state, which was particularly hard hit by Sunday's Indian Ocean sea surges.

They said aftershocks near the Andaman and Nicobar islands were likely to cause high waves threatening the coast.

BBC Link

The alert was issued following information that several aftershocks in the region had pushed up the water level, said an official at the emergency control room set up by India's Home Ministry in New Delhi.

But an earthquake expert said the aftershocks were probably not strong enough to produce tsunamis.

An estimated 5.7 magnitude underwater earthquake was recorded by the Hong Kong observatory, north-west of Sumatra, Indonesia, close to the epicentre of last Sunday's temblor. Other quakes were felt in Thailand and Burma.

"We have issued an alert. There could be a wave attack in the next one hour," said Veera Shanmuga Mani, the top administrator in Nagappattinam, a coastal town in southern Tamil Nadu state where most of the deaths from the weekend tsunamis occurred.

SMH Link

If i was anywhere in the aftermath of this catastrophe, i would head for the hills if someone told me it might start raining.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Here's another interesting look at the Barren Volcano, from a scientific expedition in 2003:

www.geos.iitb.ac.in...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Here's another interesting look at the Barren Volcano, from a scientific expedition in 2003:

www.geos.iitb.ac.in...

TA, Great link and images
Thanks for that.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
two volcanoes set off connected to the ring of fire.looks like we have more problems with the plates.2004-12-28 12:30 * RUSSIA * KAMCHATKA * VOLCANO * ACTIVITY *
VOLCANO BECOMES ACTIVE IN KAMCHATKA

Shiveluch volcano

Volcano erupts in Andaman Islands
From correspondents in Port Blair
December 30, 2004
this one has a map already posted in this thread

worldwide attention needs to be paid on plates effects.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I think the earth has tilted....just my personal opinion but I really do

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Oh boy! brace yourself!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The planet isn't 'pissed', heck, how could it be 'pissed'. This volcano isn't even part of the system or associated with the quake no?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Ny, it very much is part of the system, as the Barren Volcano is right in the same area, and has been associated with the big quake.

Barren on the map, and the quake occurred near the northwest tip of Sumatra:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
No one is pissed off....it's a chain reaction from a natural disaster....people always want to be so dramatic and doomsdayish.......I'm thinking there will be more to come.......it's doesn't mean any god is po'ed, or that the end is near!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
surely Andaman & Nicobar would have been hit very badly just like SriLanka but I don't think I've heard anything on the news wires about this group of Islands.

I did hear that the Earth has moved on it's axis because of the strengh of this quake. Don't know if that is possible though.

E_T

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
Map of the Andaman and Nicobar islands. The volcano Barren 1 is located on Barren Island...

BTW, scales of that map are wrong badly.

Here's very good maps with tectonic boundaries and other markings.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Volcanism is common near subduction zones, subducting plate jams to under the continental plate and melts when it "sinks" to earth's mantle, which logically means more magma/pressure there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join