It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surge in Use of Wind and Solar Technology Sends EU Emissions Tumbling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Something that sounds like "good" News for a change.

LONDON—Europe’s greenhouse gas emissions are falling fast, mainly because of the rapid spread of the wind turbines and solar panels that are replacing fossil fuels for electricity generation.

European Union data shows that once countries adopt measures to reduce greenhouse gases (GHGs), they often exceed their targets—and this finding is backed up by figures released this week in a statement by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).

Seems the Kyoto Protocol's are worth the effort.

The UNFCCC statement says: “This is a powerful demonstration that climate change agreements not only work, but can drive even higher ambition over time.

“The successful completion of the Kyoto Protocol’s first commitment period can serve as a beacon for governments as they work towards a new, universal climate change agreement in Paris, in December this year.”

In the EU, the leading countries for making savings are Germany, Sweden, France, Italy and Spain, which account for two-thirds of the total savings on the continent. But most of the 28 countries in the bloc are also making progress towards the EU’s own target of producing 20% of all its energy needs from renewables by 2020. It has already reached 15%.

more

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Environmentalists will not let us do this in the USA.

Every time someone tries to develop, some environmentalists group sues.

You can't win. You TRY to put up windmills and solar plants the damned Environmentalists or Rich Elitist Politicians sue to block the project or the power lines needed to get the power from point A to point B.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Meh, they can attempt to block it for a few more years, but as solar exceeds grid parity the demand will overpower the block. Everything is in place for further improvements, we just need to wait it out a little longer. If people are actually willing to jump the gun and throw out monies now, they can on their own roofs, but I think it's worth waiting until we can scale this up and have it economically viable directly competing without government subsidies in place.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
i dont have stats or data regarding this .. but .. i imagine, as china, and india too i believe, are apparently expanding industry, export, and their global economic status .. then .. as some countries try hard to lower emissions .. some other countries, who are more concerned with their own economy and global economic position at the mo, continue to emit these gases, while they grow as quickly as they can .... making all our efforts appear minimal in the global scheme of things ...

so .. great effort etc .. but how much difference is it making globally .. we need to be 'all in' ....
i imagine it is some peoples mentality, that since some countries have lowered their emissions, that gives them greater scope to increase theirs .... such is human mentality generally speaking ...

how annyong, the idea that the more we try to lower emissions, others think they can just relax and pump more out then ... this is just my opinion of course, but sadly its likely true ... based on my experience with general human mentality
edit on 13-8-2015 by Segenam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Segenam

Sad mentality but true. We need the entire planet to follow these measures or Europe's cuts are all for not. The oil and gas industry will do everything they can to stop this though and too many blindly follow. They are "all in" to put a stop to it, probably even behind the "environmentalists" that argue against wind and solar.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

It would be even lower if we had the Electric cars here earlier and i also have seen cars running on 'Air'. If they were here, there would be no pollution at all from vehicles!

Yes, they may be slow moving at 25 - 50 mph (City Cars) but i'd rather have clean breathable air! And who knows what speeds will be capable in years to come.. already have Formula E cars running at 140mph

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Definately have to agree with you there. Those Gas and oil Companies don't want these new Techs ruining their Businesses.. like i say in my posts, could have been here a long time ago

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Oil is king because it's cheaper than renewables.

I have a feeling that once we get Iran back online. The want for renewable energy will be less.

It's a shame too. We have states where we are just wasting sunlight that could be used to power homes.

top topics

join