It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marry her or face jail time. WTF?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

In July, a Smith County judge sentenced Josten Bundy to get married to his 19-year-old girlfriend as part of his probation, which also included writing Bible verses and getting counseling. The court case stemmed from a February altercation between Bundy and the ex-boyfriend of his girlfriend, Elizabeth Jaynes. “[The ex-boyfriend] had been saying disrespectful things about Elizabeth, so I challenged him to a fight,” said Bundy. “He stepped in and I felt like it was on and I hit him in the jaw twice.” Bundy said the ex-boyfriend did not require medical attention, but pressed assault charges. “I took matters into my own hands and I know that’s wrong,” Bundy said. “I know I was raised better, but it happened.” At his sentencing hearing, Judge Randall Rogers asked Bundy about the fight. “Is she worth it?” Judge Rogers asked Bundy, according to court transcripts. “I said, well to be honest, sir, I was raised with four sisters and if any man was talking to a woman like that,” recalled Bundy, “I’d probably do the same thing.” Judge Rogers asked Bundy if he was married to Jaynes and then said, “You know, as a part of my probation, you’re going to have to marry her…within 30 days.” If Bundy declined to do the probation, he would be sentenced to 15 days in jail. “He offered me fifteen days in jail and that would have been fine and I asked if I could call my job [to let them know],” said Bundy. “The judge told me ‘nope, that’s not how this works.’” Jaynes, who was in the courtroom said the proposal from the judge embarrassed her. “My face was so red, people behind me were laughing,” said Jaynes. “[The judge] made me stand up in court.” Afraid of Bundy losing his job if he spent two weeks behind bars, the couple applied for their marriage license and scheduled a date with the justice of the peace to get married. Read more: www.wfsb.com...

I saw this and had to post it. I don't know what the f*** the judge thinks he's doing. Someone disrespected this mans girlfriend and an altercation followed. I don't know what to say! Is this what justice will look like in the days to come? A judge can just up and control your life in any way he/she feels? Very sick if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I have a feeling that judge won't be a judge for much longer...

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Wow just wow

Is that even legal ?

I mean wow
edit on 7-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

No, its not legal.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Just wrong in so many ways.

I can't even...

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i wonder what would have happened if the young woman said no?
would the judge have put her in jail?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Bibles verses as part of the punishment? No separation of church and state?

Then we have the Forced marriage or job loss?

Sounds like that guy can sue the judge and if not, judge is going to be judged in the court of public opinion.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
So here's the thing, this judge is ridiculous; but,...these people are also ridiculous because they don't know their rights. I'm more sad that they didn't stand up for themselves than I am sympathetic about their crappy and rushed wedding.
edit on 7-8-2015 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I like alternative sentencing. I think it's a good thing non violent offenders and first timers.

That being said, what the crap is this judge doing?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Fifteen days vs. a life sentence? Sounds like a no brainer to me.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Is this even real?

What if she doesn't want to be married?

Then it's out of the defendants hands?

I'm going with hoax or satire or just sheer BS.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

im just curious... What if she said No?! Wow... he really sees himself as powerful... Just, Wow!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Could they have got married and then sought an annulment? Because if ever there were grounds..

The terms laid down by the judge were to get married. He doesn't appear to have said 'stay married' ?

But what an abuse of power - perhaps someone ought to threaten to remove him from his post unless he fulfills some unacceptable condition in order to keep it.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

“We were strung over each other and really were in love,” Bundy said. “[At our wedding] I would have worn a black tux with some yellow under it because I’m a Steelers fan.”

So trashy and or young and stupid.

I read the article, but it still feels like the judge was joking and they took him seriously or something. If you respect a woman you're not going to marry her to avoid 15 days in jail, even if those 15 days cost you a job. I would have been furious at the disrespect to my girlfriend more than the obvious ethical and legal concerns.

I completely agree with Shamrock, I think alternative sentencing is usually a wonderful idea most of the time. Asking two people to commit to marriage, and having someone that wasn't charged being a part of that decision is incredibly stupid, unfair, illegal and creepy.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Its a toss up! You'll probably get more sex in the jail house...though you may "receive" a lot more than you give, if you know what I mean.

That'll teach me to just respond to the threads title.
edit on 7-8-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
See, around here you would get a ticket. No one would sue you. And unless you did it on a property that was "red listed" (meaning zero tolerance for any nonsense because the judge said he would mess you up for it), you would likely get it dismissed.

Hell, its not unusual for guys who work in the oilfield or construction to resolve disputes with their fists. Even with their bosses. Can't tell you how many times someone i know was fired for punching their boss, only to be rehired a week later.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I think we need a do-over with most of the police and judges.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

That judge is just about as stupid as this one: (go straight to 2:13)

...or see the whole video for a little laugh

edit on 9/8/15 by flice because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/8/15 by flice because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join