It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukrainian Gang Busted Smuggling Uranium-238 in Pringles Can

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I almost posted this in the Humor section. Not sure what to make of this other than Uranium-238 is not particularly dangerous.

Ukraine’s security service has said it seized a small quantity of what appeared to be ore-grade uranium from a criminal gang in a peaceful western region. The State Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) said the group had been trying to sell the uranium-238 isotope to an unknown client at the time of their arrest.

www.theguardian.com...

nv.ua...

edit on 6-8-2015 by TheChrome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheChrome
I almost posted this in the Humor section. Not sure what to make of this other than Uranium-238 is not particularly dangerous.

Ukraine’s security service has said it seized a small quantity of what appeared to be ore-grade uranium from a criminal gang in a peaceful western region. The State Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) said the group had been trying to sell the uranium-238 isotope to an unknown client at the time of their arrest.

www.theguardian.com...

nv.ua...

Talk about stupid you can buy uranium ore online for less than 50$. I do question why it be illegal though not like they can really do anything with that amount

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

www.theguardian.com...

nv.ua...

Talk about stupid you can buy uranium ore online for less than 50$. I do question why it be illegal though not like they can really do anything with that amount

What if they worked for Pringles? How much Uranium is needed to bend potato flakes into a nice stackable form? How many people could be poisioned by uranium caked bacon flavored starch crisps for only 50$?

Eating a piece of uranium isn't dangerous you say? I'd like to see that test.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Someone sold it to them, telling them it was "the good stuff", and they fell for it, believing they could sell it for a profit...?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: iDope

Remember the theft of radioactive material earlier this year in Mexico ?
I didn't think it ended well for the thieves.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: theultimatebelgianjoke
a reply to: iDope

Remember the theft of radioactive material earlier this year in Mexico ?
I didn't think it ended well for the thieves.

Huge HUGE difference in specific activity between iridium 192 and ore grade uranium. Uranium ore is basically a rock. You might not want to fill your unventilated room with it due to the radon, but other than that, meh.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   
This amount of Uranium Ore is pretty useless as anything other than a door stop. In order to do anything with it you need a considerable amount of the stuff and it then needs to be refined and processed. A Pringles tube of Uranium Ore is really not too different to a Pringles tube of cement.

Now, if they were shipping out a truck load of Pringles tubes with Uranium Ore in them, then there might be cause for concern.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Uranium-238 is Depleted uranium.
emergency.cdc.gov...

Ore grade still has around 3 to 8 % U235 in it but even then its still basically useless as a weapon unless its dropped on your head as its very heavy.
edit on 6-8-2015 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
i have a suspicion that idiots carrying uranium ore around in a pringles tube do not have the chemistry or physics education to understand what you actually need for a viable weapon - but hey - its entertaining reading

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: iDope

www.theguardian.com...

nv.ua...

What if they worked for Pringles? How much Uranium is needed to bend potato flakes into a nice stackable form? How many people could be poisioned by uranium caked bacon flavored starch crisps for only 50$?

Eating a piece of uranium isn't dangerous you say? I'd like to see that test.

Your biggest danger would be eating a rock and the damage that would do. I wouldn't we commend anyone eating a rock.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I think they would have been better off with this...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The Russian mafia has been involved for years in the radioactive/nuclear waste black market. This came out soon after the ex-Russian spy Litvinenko was murdered. This latest event discredits the argument that the Litvinenko poisoning had to be ordered by the Russian state (i.e., Putin). ANYONE with sufficient money could have ordered the hit because polonium was available at the time even on the internet, as a number of news agencies reported, although not in the quantities that killed Litvinenko. The smoking gun that someone OTHER than Putin ordered his killing is that traces of the poison made their way to Itsu, the sushi place where Litvinenko had lunched a full hour before meeting his alleged killers, Lugovoi and Kovtun. There is NO evidence that the two Russians met Litvinenko twice that fatal day, so supporters of the official theory about his death cannot explain this contamination. The real reason is that the hit was a false flag attack, the real killer(s) contaminating everywhere in London Litvinenko and the two Russians visited that day so as to set the latter up as his killers.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: micpsi
The Russian mafia has been involved for years in the radioactive/nuclear waste black market. This came out soon after the ex-Russian spy Litvinenko was murdered. This latest event discredits the argument that the Litvinenko poisoning had to be ordered by the Russian state (i.e., Putin). ANYONE with sufficient money could have ordered the hit because polonium was available at the time even on the internet, as a number of news agencies reported, although not in the quantities that killed Litvinenko. The smoking gun that someone OTHER than Putin ordered his killing is that traces of the poison made their way to Itsu, the sushi place where Litvinenko had lunched a full hour before meeting his alleged killers, Lugovoi and Kovtun. There is NO evidence that the two Russians met Litvinenko twice that fatal day, so supporters of the official theory about his death cannot explain this contamination. The real reason is that the hit was a false flag attack, the real killer(s) contaminating everywhere in London Litvinenko and the two Russians visited that day so as to set the latter up as his killers.

Actually they did explain the sushi place he was being followed prior to the meeting. The sushi place only showed traces meaning someone who handled it. As any good FSB agent they were tailing their quarry before the meeting.

Sorry it only traces to Russia and someone carrying around uranium ore isn't the same as polonium. Polonium if ingested in sufficient quantities more than you could afford to buy were talking 2 million a gram. The only people that don't pay 2 million the Russians they are the only world suppplier.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: charolais

What is this? Some kind of bomb?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
Someone sold it to them, telling them it was "the good stuff", and they fell for it, believing they could sell it for a profit...?

Ya I bet you are right on the money.......Bad guys in this region are a really.......BAD GUYS. It is not your run of the mill scum bags looking to make a buck.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Ya I bet you are right on the money.......Bad guys in this region are a really.......BAD GUYS. It is not your run of the mill scum bags looking to make a buck.

Now that I think about it could be right they would show them it's radioactive. Then sell it all the while these fools think they have nuclear fuel.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrMaybeNot

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, so I'll just assume you are.

It's from the movie Jurassic Park. Dennis Nerdy used it to try and steal dinosaur embryos from the embryo storage room in the lab.

jurassicpark.wikia.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Argh......Please delete
edit on 6-8-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Now that I think about it could be right they would show them it's radioactive. Then sell it all the while these fools think they have nuclear fuel.

Ya I think this is the case.....Look at it clicking away you will be rich Vlad and you could buy a German sports car. I will say the amount of intestinal fortitude it takes to mess with crap like this is staggering. These really are some hardcore bad guys.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: charolais

originally posted by: MrMaybeNot

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, so I'll just assume you are.

It's from the movie Jurassic Park. Dennis Nerdy used it to try and steal dinosaur embryos from the embryo storage room in the lab.

jurassicpark.wikia.com...

I didn't remember about that but now I do.

new topics

top topics

join