It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crowd funded Exo planet hunter is the ONLY way to go !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Choice777
So you mean this is wrong ?
https :// upload. wikimedia. org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Atmospheric_electromagnetic_opacity. svg

Other than the representation of the link; no, it is not wrong. However nothing is "blocked" 100%, so you still don't need t be in space. Further, you'll notice the obvious lack of suck systems in use today. Many of these areas of the spectrum are more easily explored from the surface.

And since we are talking exoplanet hunting, being in space only provides an avenue for disappointment...when your spacecraft fails and you can't repair it.

Anyway ithink we need at least 1 small opticla telescope thats controled by the public. A newtwork is overkill in therms of funds...

Actually, a network is the only way t provide full coverage of the sky. I'm building my robot in Texas, and won't be able to "see" Zeta Reticuli, a star of interest...

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I dont think we can span as far as ''full coverage''...just some coverage would be a massive improvement as long as it doesn't suddenly go into ''pixel blur ooops maintenance mode'' exactly when something appears on screen.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think the better route is just to enable people to do thigns they can do on their own or in small groups. What you're suggesting is too advanced; too expensive; too demanding.

Think smaller. Just encouraging people to learn about astronomy is one step closer to the kind of world you want. Get them interested in the nuts and bolts of space exploration. People have to walk before they can run.

And eventually space will be cheap enough for everybody. It'll be so cheap it'll be almost impossible for them to hide it--if there's anything to hide. It's like trying to hide New York. What're you going to do? It's too easy for people to travel and stumble on it. Now put New York on Triton and it's much easier. Just put it far away where access is prohibitive.

What you're suggesting is ackin to a crowd funded effort to send probes to Triton to make sure New York isn't being hidden. The problem is it's very expensive and difficult to accomplish. It requires high amount of skill and talent. This narrows the number of people who can really be involved and that means it's easier to manipulate or coverup.

This all remidns me of the serenity prayer:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

edit on 3-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Choice777
I dont think we can span as far as ''full coverage''...just some coverage would be a massive improvement as long as it doesn't suddenly go into ''pixel blur ooops maintenance mode'' exactly when something appears on screen.

Something to think about; I did a little searching into the cost of launching a small package into space. Say 500 pounds...should be enough to build a small robot, and provide it with a spacecraft for orbital operations.

The current cost to launch is about $13,000.00 per pound, depending on the vehicle used. At that cost it will take around $6.5 million to launch our observatory into space...At the cost of about $35,000.00 per robot...178 such bots could be built and deployed on the surface. This would provide much better sensing and data than one device in orbit.

And, this "full coverage" can be provided by as few a 6 robots. The network would mean virtually instant "confirmation" of any event observed...since the network can react to and acquire data about any sensed event...automatically.

Being in space doesn't offer any serious technical advantages. The distortions created by atmospheric properties can be "filtered", leaving us with a very great deal of data without the expense of a launch. Ground based robots can be repaired when faulty, and can be improved, and modified as required to provide better data.

And, since the cost is so much less, more robots can be built and deployed, giving more people the opportunity to actually use one.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Choice777

Typical PARANOID conspiracy cliches, there is plenty of data getting shared, if you KNOW where to look for example Planet Hunters guess who lets the public process the data yes that big bad NASA.

If some of the people who post threads like this actually extracted their heads from their a** they wouldn't need to post in the first place you can even do things as simple as this Find an Exoplanet with your DSLR

Just may be if you turned your PARANOIA switch off you might learn something.

edit on 3-8-2015 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2015 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008
a reply to: Choice777

Typical PARANOID conspiracy cliches, there is plenty of data getting shared, if you KNOW where to look for example Planet Hunters guess who lets the public process the data yes that big bad NASA.

If some of the people who post threads like this actually extracted their heads from their a** they wouldn't need to post in the first place you can even do things as simple as this Find an Exoplanet with your DSLR

Just may be if you turned your PARANOIA switch off you might learn something.

Well keep believing that ....as for talking out of your ass...good job. stay stupid and avoid this thread. you wouldn't want knowledge. just accept whatever the govs dispense from their asses and feed you with. enjoy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join