It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders: Some immigration hurts Latino youth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Bernie Sanders has an interesting take on immigration and who it helps and whom it hurts:

Sanders, participating in a forum for presidential candidates hosted by the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce on Thursday, said there’s a reason why Wall Street and all of corporate America likes immigration reform.

“What I think they are interested in is seeing a process by which we can bring low-wage labor of all levels into this country to depress wages in America and I strongly disagree with that,” said Sanders who is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination.

With high unemployment rates for high school-age kids in America — 36% for Hispanics — “I frankly do not believe we should be bringing in significant numbers of unskilled workers to compete with those kids. I want to see these kids get jobs,” Sanders said.

source

Bernie put jobs for our youth over immigration to lower wages for corporations!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
Bernie put jobs for our youth over immigration to lower wages for corporations!

I know it's the title of the article, but reading the content shows that it's not "immigration" that hurts the youth, it's USING immigrants to depress wages in the US. It's the low wages that hurt immigrants AND our youth. Not to mention our adults whose wages are based on the lower wages.

I LOVE it that Bernie places the importance of jobs for our youth over giving jobs to immigrants.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Thanks!

I do try to stick with the articles actual tittles, rather than changing or sensationalizing them, unfortunately some tittles are not spot on. imho The tittle of this article left a lot of room for improvement.

I think Bernie is right, jobs for the people of the US of A, before allowing the corporations to hire immigrants at lowered wages!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

It's easy to say that the low wages are the problem, but historically immigrants (especially illegal immigrants) have been willing to work for lower wages just to scrape by, often times taking two or three jobs at low wage.

It sucks, but it's a product of capitalism. Why pay a higher wage if someone is willing to do the same work for less?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

PRecisly the reason we have immigration laws that have unfortunately not been enforced with any degree of rigor for the last 20 years. First it was the landscapers, then the building trades - not all unskilled work either but if you can get a carpenter to do the same work for $10/hr under the table who is going to pay $20/hr plus all the state and federal taxes on top?

All that extra money is pocketed by the owner class who could care less about Americans having jobs and only worry about getting a bigger vacation home.

It's not just Latino kids that immigration hurts but everyone who is in need of work.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
double post
edit on 31-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Exactly. Immigration has been happening basically unchecked for decades. I'm all for the melting pot of cultures that is the United States. The US was built by immigrants. It was FOUNDED by immigrants.

But unchecked immigration only does damage to those who came here legally, and through the proper channels. I think Japan has a great system for immigration. You want to be a resident immigrant here, you HAVE to have at least a college education. (There are some exceptions of course but this is the general rule) If you don't, you get shipped off once your visitor status expires. Of course, it's much easier to enforce the border here as well. A small island nation can much more easily control who gets in and who doesn't.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Japan has a very smart policy then.
Allow people in who are going to add something, not work and send the money back to another country.
I considered moving there a while back, I truly love Japan and it's culture.
I might be gaijin but I know how to behave)
If not for having kids I think I would be there right now.

What's really unique about Japan is it's homogenous people having uninterrupted development for over 1,000 years.
They make everything an art form.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I love it here. It's not cheap to live in Tokyo, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. People are so much more polite, friendly. Sure there are a few who mutter things like Gaijin under their breath, but for the most part it's very nice. And yeah I think the system of immigration here is awesome. It makes sure people come here who genuinely can add value to society, who will contribute and build a good life here.

The only thing I miss is being able to own and shoot guns. I miss going out my mom's friend's property and popping tin cans off fence posts.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Immigration has been horrible for the legal side as well. My mothers side still has family doing all the paperwork and paying all the fees to come over to the US the legal way. It's only gotten worse over the years, for the people trying to do it the right way and seems like just getting easier for the ones doing it the illegal way. The fees go up, the paper work get longer and the waiting time goes on and on.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Kinda sad really. By the time Bernie or Hillary or any Democrat Socialst can get to the White hut in 2016, TPP will have been passed and all of this will be a moot point; the US won't have any control whatsoever over its immigration policies. Sanders of course knows that, but he's got to preach to the choir to get votes.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ObjectZero
Immigration has been horrible for the legal side as well. My mothers side still has family doing all the paperwork and paying all the fees to come over to the US the legal way. It's only gotten worse over the years, for the people trying to do it the right way and seems like just getting easier for the ones doing it the illegal way. The fees go up, the paper work get longer and the waiting time goes on and on.

Isn't that the kick in the ass?
Those who it properly jump through endless hoops and pay money.
Those illegal just cross the border and never go back.
No fuss no bother.
Why the administration wants to reward those people is beyond me.
Talk about unfair!

top topics

join