It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British Newspaper Archive, oh my, I'm addicted!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I was looking for some historical stories of Piskies (Pixies) for another thread I recently started, and found The British Newspaper Archive with over 11 million pages scanned from over 400 newspapers spanning the last 200 years.
As a free trial they offer 3 newspaper page views/downloads when you sign up, but then it is about £10 a month for unlimited downloading.

Wow, it is so interesting!

I found some funny stories (although intended to be serious as printed at the time) about Pixies, and then changed my search terms to 'monster' and got some great stories about sea monsters in my area from back in the day.
I've used my 3 page credits now but I think I shall subscribe for a month and see what gems from the past I can find.
The search settings/interface is excellent, and whichever text recognition programme they used is equally so, because if your search term is anywhere on the scanned newspaper page then the search will find it.

Anyway, just throwing it out for anyone else who might be interested, even if only for the 3 free searches, I definitely recommend it.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
I used to go to the physical library in Colindale, long before "online" was a possibility.
Very helpful staff.
I was doing a dissertation and looking through copies of the Primitive Methodist Leader for their experiences during the First World war.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Ah, I still enjoy passing the odd hour at my local library thumbing through old local newspapers, really interesting, and call me odd but I love the smell and feel of the paper.
The only drawback is the 'search' is basically skim reading hundreds of pages and getting lucky if you find something.
This online library has changed everything, instant, and whatever you can think of.
Yep, addicted already!

join