It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scum of Self-Checkouts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

For those telling you you're being petty, or part of the problem, is indicative of society as a whole these days. Acceptance of this behavior is the norm. Common courtesy, awareness of others, and the measure of self-importance rules the day. They are seen as out of date, not important--it's all about me.

I understand your plaint, and sympathize to a certain degree. Is it frustrating, and downright rude? Sure, but I'm personally not gonna stroke out due to others actions, and certainly not going to let it bring me down. I figure if I'm polite, and extend others courtesy, someday it may prove to be a wash.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Yes well I am sure you are perfect. I would like to strap a go pro on and follow you around for the day and just see for myself the proper way to behave. I am sure you are an example for all to follow. Hail the protector of the self-checkout lines.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Well said, a balanced perspective. I agree.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Yes I am sure you answered this with careful thinking and a proper attitude. It's not like I spent the first part saying I was being selfish with the first complaint. It's not like I have plenty of posts around here showing my own self -effacing attitude and my absolute embrace of my own self-described imperfections.

But you probably knew that already and decided to just jump to whatever conclusion you like.

Because yes...we all know this one particular rant proves me to be god-like with an aire of nothing but perfection.

Get over yourself. I said they were acts of disrespect and EVEN pointed out that my first complaint was wholly-selfish. I love folks who are capable of bringing out a person's entire personality from one post or rant despite not knowing a thing about them outside of here

oy....

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Buy a whole bunch of $1 items and cut the barcode out, next time you go shopping stick the barcodes on $10 and $20 items

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpace
Buy a whole bunch of $1 items and cut the barcode out, next time you go shopping stick the barcodes on $10 and $20 items

And get in mad trouble.. Self checkouts weigh your items.. So you'd have to make sure you knew exact weights..
Then there is the trouble of going through the line when the checkout person rings up a steak called white bread for a dollar..

Coppers...

Theft is so last decade. I'm running so low on food, not sure what I'll be eating next few days, but I work for mine.

I'm sure you are joking though, so thanks for the laugh.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I firmly believe that we pay people to check you out for a reason. If you actually cannot figure out how to use the self-check to be at least as efficient as they are, then you really should stand in line and leave it to them. If people could figure that out, the rest of us would be able to actually use the self-checks the way they were intended.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

All though I agree there are a lot of people in the world who don't care who they step over to get there, I also understand some people have trouble with new things. I dare say you didn't blow through the first time you used the self check out. The trouble is NOT the ones that were slow, but with YOU for thinking they were slow just to piss you off. Here are some words of wisdom to help calm you down. Just because you are in a hurry does NOT mean you are more important then everyone else, nor does it mean the rest of us have to hurry too. So if you're in such a hurry to get things done leave the house sooner and you'll have more time, just in case one of us slow people get in your way. Or better, yet next time this happens just explain to them how important you are. I'm sure they will be more than happy to step aside for you.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
My husband will not use the self checkout as the more they are used the less jobs of checkers. I agree with him, if we don't use the convenient self scanners we can keep more people working and the big business will get less profit by disposing of real people.

Not really. When you have Walmart who refuses to hire checkout staff and only has 3 lanes open, each lane with 12 people in it (one reason I stopped shopping there), and the express lane has 10 people with like 20 items.

Or when at Kroger each line is full of people and the quickest checkout is self-checkout.

Why would I want to wait in line for 10 minutes when I can self checkout in far less time? That's just stupid. If there's a real-person lane open, or nearly available, I'll use it. If not, I'll use self checkout, unless I'm buying a ton of produce. Of course, I only use self CO if I have a a basket and not a buggy.

Back to the OP:

Self checkouts piss me off too. They ring up items too slowly, there's always the "please place item..." or if you have to move a bag to create more space, "place item back in the bagging area" before you can continue to ring stuff up. Annoying as hell.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

I'm not sure why you and others seem to think that. Take all of my points into consideration, not just the ones that support your belief of who I am. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Gotta love this country. Gauging intelligence by performance at the self-checkout line.

What's your CSR (Consumer Skill Rating)?

Jesus...

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpace

Joking or not this is what is called stealing. It is not only a crime it has a direct influence on inflation. When you take something without paying for it you DIDN'T get it free. The next time you go to buy that item it will cost you a little more in order to make up for the loss.

FYI; It's not JUST a $1.00 candy bar. It's one of a half million $1.00 candy bars making it a $500,000 candy bar. How many time will that happen before it becomes a $1.50 candy bar?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: Char-Lee
My husband will not use the self checkout as the more they are used the less jobs of checkers. I agree with him, if we don't use the convenient self scanners we can keep more people working and the big business will get less profit by disposing of real people.

Not really. When you have Walmart who refuses to hire checkout staff and only has 3 lanes open, each lane with 12 people in it (one reason I stopped shopping there), and the express lane has 10 people with like 20 items.

Or when at Kroger each line is full of people and the quickest checkout is self-checkout.

Why would I want to wait in line for 10 minutes when I can self checkout in far less time? That's just stupid. If there's a real-person lane open, or nearly available, I'll use it. If not, I'll use self checkout, unless I'm buying a ton of produce. Of course, I only use self CO if I have a a basket and not a buggy.

Back to the OP:

Self checkouts piss me off too. They ring up items too slowly, there's always the "please place item..." or if you have to move a bag to create more space, "place item back in the bagging area" before you can continue to ring stuff up. Annoying as hell.

The ultimate goal is all self help we do the work and they pay no checkers...clearly.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: MikeA

I'm not sure why you and others seem to think that. Take all of my points into consideration, not just the ones that support your belief of who I am. Thanks.

Oh I did read the whole thing, and even if you can't admit it to yourself, your contempt for the rest of the world could not be more clear. It was spelled out when you told us how long it took YOU to walk to the store, and how fast YOU found what you were after, and how long it took THEM to finish; down to the minute. If that hurts then I'm sorry, but if you're willing, go back and reread your post as if you did not write it. Then look inside yourself and see if you like what you see.

Don't get me wrong I'm not passing judgment on you because I don't you, but you must admit that it is a little self-centered.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
i didnt understand the op , i didnt read most of it.
but i'm gonna blame plbcheese.
so selfish.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Without useless self service staff you could not buy steak from the counter and run it through as onions.

Huzzah for the self service checkout.

But that would be wrong, I could never......(goes aand hides my steak in a corner).

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I love the self checkout aisles, every now and again my mum gives me all her saved up schrapnel from shopping that she saves in an old whiskey tin as it saves her lugging it around and since she doesn't like to cause a fuss trying to shift about 10-15 quids worth of 1s/2s/5s and 10s at a human counter she just gives them to me and i just walk into the local supermarket and buy a 25p tin of beans for my breakfast next day and dump in half a ton of coins and the machine sits there and sorts it out and for 25p i've got probably 20 quid in notes compared to probably giving about 3-4 quid to one of those change machines they have for the really gullable people.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
We had the perfect solution all lined up and then the moon-bat conspiracy crowd killed it.

"ZOMG IFRD CHIPS TEH GOVERNMENT IS TRACKING US!
IBM IZ NAZIS!"

Well, yeah...they're tracking your consumable goods.
And no, you're not on a "list".
Just your consumables, ya silly Luddites.

But no.
Leave it to the fruitcakes to ruin a good thing.

Enjoy the Bread Lines of Mediocrity.
*grumble*

edit on 7/19/15 by GENERAL EYES because: edit because I'm surly like that....

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Gotta love this country. Gauging intelligence by performance at the self-checkout line.

What's your CSR (Consumer Skill Rating)?

Jesus...

There's little intellect involved. It's pretty much read the simple directions on the touch screen and go to. Maybe it helps if you were a cashier yourself for a time, but I never found the self-check to be that difficult unless I'm trying to do something and it gets stuck and wants it's minder to come confirm something.

Otherwise, Mr. Ketsuko and I work as a team and get ourselves through the line quickly and with no fuss.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join