It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychics -Is this proof they are genuine? or something more sinister?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I'm dog sitting for my friend again so while there I've been looking through his television recordings. Amongst them he has about a dozen episodes of Psychic Detectives!
Hmm, this is a subject I usualy ignore, but I've learnt through the years that I should never close my mind to anything! So, I watched one of the episodes, then another, and another, and finally - I've watched all of them!

The Psychics were being used by the police to help them solve murders or find missing people.
The Psychics were impressive!
In most cases the psychic knows nothing about the case, they are simply given an item that the murdered or missing person owned.
By handling the item the Psychics gather clues that the police follow up.

I said they were impressive, well, here's an example.
A lady had been awarded custody of her children, but her X-husband kidnapped them. The police had no idea where the children were so they called in a Psychic. The Psychic told the police where the children were (another state) and they rushed to the address, they were too late, the man and his kids had left three days earlier.
So, the Psychic is asked to look again and she offers another address in another state. Police are sent to the address and they arrest a man in an apartment block. Unfortunately there was another man in the apartment block who had the same name! and so the police raided the wrong apartment, meanwhile the man the police wanted saw what had just happened and again he ran off with the children.
So, they ask the Psychic to look again. She tells them of another address in Hawaii, and she also says she see's blood and a dog!
This time the police catch the man and the kids in Hawaii, and one of the children has a cut lip, bitten by a dog!

Thats quite impressive! Three different addresses, each of them correct, and the dog bite!!!

Many of the episodes have examples just as impressive. Here's just one more before I get to the point of this post.
A Psychic is called in to help locate a missing teenage girl. She tells the police where they should look for the girl, but they told her they'd already searched the area. The Psychic is so sure where the girl is that she decided to go and look for herself. She found the body of the girl and called the police. The police are so stunned by what she'd done they decided SHE must be the killer, and they arrested her and locked her up!
After four days in lockup the Psychic is finally released, but only because a witness came forward with enough evidence to convict three local men for the murder. The Psychic successfully sued for her ordeal.

Anyways...
Each episode closes with a few words from the senior police involved in each case. They all say something along the lines of "When the decision was made to call in a Psychic I had my doubts, but now I know we'll be using them again"

What are we to make of this?
Senior police admitting the Psychics are genuine!!!

Do you believe them?

If you dont, then explain why SENIOR policeman close each episode by telling us its real.

If this stuff isn't real, then surely there must be some kind of agenda going on because someone has gone to the trouble of creating dozens of episodes of this program, and gotten dozens of senior policeman to go on tv and tell the world Psychics are real.

Dozens of senior policeman!!!

Either the Psychics are real, or there's some kind of conditioning of the viewers minds going on.

Trial by Psychic?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It's television. It's scripted.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Like Admirethedistance said, these shows aren't going to show you a lot of psychic fails, or they wouldn't have a show. I have ties to the Ghost Hunters show, and I can tell you that they aren't showing you the 99% of investigations that go absolutely NOWHERE, and even the ones they depict as having phenomena, they exaggerate for the sake of ratings.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
There is ample statistical evidence of psychic powers.

news.cornell.edu...

www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

Like Admirethedistance said, these shows aren't going to show you a lot of psychic fails, or they wouldn't have a show. I have ties to the Ghost Hunters show, and I can tell you that they aren't showing you the 99% of investigations that go absolutely NOWHERE, and even the ones they depict as having phenomena, they exaggerate for the sake of ratings.

I dont normaly watch tv because I know its all scripted, and thats kinda my point though. Why would so many senior policeman risk their careers? Who provided the script and how did they get so many senior policeman to cooperate?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The producers, and money.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Yes, money and even the most short-lived fame are major motivators. I'd like to be clear that I'm not saying that there is no evidence of psychic ability, or that there aren't some pretty amazing hauntings; just that what we're discussing is a television show, and should be treated as such.

***ETA***
As far as psychics go, most of those used on investigations prove to be little more than fanciful flakes looking for attention.
edit on 7/16/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: edit to add

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

TV Shows = Entertainment = Ratings = Money = TV Shows

Rinse & Repeat

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Psychic data comes in many forms. Evidently, you missed the recent thread by Isaac Koi about remote viewing with happened to tie-in very strongly with UFOs. Remote viewing is probably the most documented form of psi work that you can find. The US Army supported the use of it for about 20 years and their eventual denying of its effectiveness was and remains a complete lie.

That thread is here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mr. Koi, a UK barrister, has provided an incredible amount of assembled information that on the fact alone stand alone for style and substance in an ATS thread. Every one that makes threads should take note. Psychic powers are common and even more commonly denied in that the rent the very fabric of consensus reality that you are taught to accept and believe.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

While I like to remain open minded, I would still say I dont believe what we see in those episodes. What concerns me is the number of career people opening themselves up to ridicule, thats why I posted about it.
Maybe it is real, but personally, I suspect this all part of the conditioning being pumped into the masses.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

While I like to remain open minded, I would still say I dont believe what we see in those episodes. What concerns me is the number of career people opening themselves up to ridicule, thats why I posted about it.
Maybe it is real, but personally, I suspect this all part of the conditioning being pumped into the masses.

I'm sure that some of those professionals seen on these episodes have had dealings with psychics in which resolutions apparently came about due to the help of the psychic, and maybe that was enough of a motivator (beyond a snippet of fame and some cash) to "come out".

It's also worth noting that people who expose themselves through shows like these (guests and regulars) tend to receive speaking offers from which they can also carve out a living, so the risks of appearing on these shows can be minimized in some instances, particularly if the show is a hit, and the subject matter is popular.

...and believe it or not, there's also quite the contingent of groupies for shows like this and Ghost Hunters (yet more motivation for those receptive to it).

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I believe in energy and that we are all part of one collective. I think some people can tap into that connection more than others, though we all have the potential to connect to each other in profound ways. Twins being one example. My personal story made me believe, at least somewhat in one persons ability.

She began by asking what I thought to be general probing questions most people use to create the illusion of a psychic ability.... she asked, who do you know who lives in an old house.... well, most homes in our area are old. I shrugged. She flipped over more cards and looked me in the eye and said 'listen honey, you need to get your wiring checked'. 'I see a fire and it's due to old faulty wiring'. Our 30 min session ended and I considered what was said but was still skeptical. However, I do live in an old house, built by old codes so I figured, psychic or no, I should get it checked. The electrician basically said my breaker box was so old that the company who made it went out of business because their breakers consistently faild. If one were to fail, fire. Interesting but lucky right? I mean she could have just known that most homes have one breaker box type that as of 1990 were discontinued and deemed unsafe.

Same woman, different session. She asked who I knew with memory problems... again probing questions. Then she asked 'what is with the green paint?' This time i was taken aback. My grandfather had alzheimer's and past away sometime ago. I purchased my grandparents house. When I moved in I quickly painted the walls as they were an, in my opinion, ugly green. After some years had past I decided to redo the room. I went out and bought what looked like a nice green only to discover after painting a spot, it was horrendous. Later on I was taking down a picture and chpped some plaster, that green I purchased was the same color of the old walls. I laughed to myself gave a mental wave to my grandparents and that was it. But this woman, knowing nothing about me, my grandparents, or that I even painted was spot on. Green paint and alzheimer's, strange combination to guess. Still on the fence but it's a nice thought that my grandfather was there busting my chops to say hello.
edit on 1872015Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:15:12 -0500pm731_-0500 by NeedUserID because: (no reason given)

edit on 1872015Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:17:05 -0500pm731_-0500 by NeedUserID because: (no reason given)

edit on 1872015Thu, 16 Jul 2015 20:18:22 -0500pm731_-0500 by NeedUserID because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

I dont normaly watch tv because I know its all scripted, and thats kinda my point though. Why would so many senior policeman risk their careers? Who provided the script and how did they get so many senior policeman to cooperate?

Why would you think that they were actually police?

Do you think that psychic's would have anything like the hit rate depicted, reliably and on camera?

Even genuine detectives that use evidential sleuthing methods don't solve all their cases, and definitely not in a time frame that suits what a TV show could afford to film for.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

To your point, there are instances in which (on Ghost Hunters, at least) experienced and mature people were turned down for roles on the show due having no acting ability or experience on camera.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Greetings- Do You remember if this was one of the psychics?

thedailyreview.com...

If You're still interested in this after reading this, it 'may' lead You in a direction. It goes along with what "NeedUSerID" typed. I believe the 'energy' addressed in this member's post deals with the "Akasha". If that is indeed the case then i can direct You towards further info.
Most folks w/psychic ability will tell You that each of Us has the ability but that 'most' are too distracted or discount any info coming through...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
It's television. It's scripted.

So some people think it is real police!

The series production does not investigate the claims of the psychics showcased or confirm their claims

For entertainment it instead recreates some of the atmosphere surrounding psychic claims

Why do people think it is real? Because they saw it on tv, so it must be true!

Funny how none of the fake "psychics" are able to win the One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge - which they could easily win if they were really psychics!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I can't vouch for the evidence brought forth by an entertainment program but science has validated several aspects of psychic phenomenon. As well as countless people who practice, hone, or naturally come by it.

Strangely enough, people who doubt it often cite reason and science as their reasons without ever actually looking at the studies. Confirming something that is not understood frustrates many people and I don't think it will get wide-spread recognition until we understand the nature of physics differently. That should be very soon.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

I can't vouch for the evidence brought forth by an entertainment program but science has validated several aspects of psychic phenomenon.

They have? Care to show us exactly when and where that was done?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

I can't vouch for the evidence brought forth by an entertainment program but science has validated several aspects of psychic phenomenon.

They have? Care to show us exactly when and where that was done?

Here's a nice list of peer reviewed studies:
Peer reviewed studies

Also, if you go to "scholar.google.com", you can search for individual fields. You can't base your opinions on hacks like James Randi instead of actual scientists. Go to the experts, not bitter failures.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Here's a nice list of peer reviewed studies:
Peer reviewed studies

Let us see....

Conclusions: The methodologic limitations of several studies make it difficult to draw definitive conclusions about the efficacy of distant healing.

However, the review presented a scientifically unsound mixture of theological and scientific arguments, and two of the included trials that had a large impact on the findings had problems that were not described in the review. The review fails to live up to the high standards required for Cochrane reviews.

No outcomes differences were significant;

This experiment suggests that a single application of heal- ing intention may be insufficient to affect human brain cell colony formation or random number generators to a signif- icant degree.

INTERPRETATION:
Neither masked prayer nor MIT therapy significantly improved clinical outcome after elective catheterisation or percutaneous coronary intervention.

CONCLUSIONS: Intercessory prayer itself had no effect on complication-free recovery from CABG, but certainty of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with a higher incidence of complications.

So there may be peer reviewed studies, but their results are not good for psychics!

Go to the experts

The experts in spotting hoaxes and fakers seem to stop psychic powers dead!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join