It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iron Church America: Which Denomination Reigns Supreme?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Let me preface this thread off with this: I am not trying to bait anyone or troll. The title is meant to be a little lighthearted but hopefully the thread will be informative with interesting debate/discussion about a hypothetical. This is something I have been pondering since the SCOTUS ruling two weeks ago and some of the more colourful headlines in the wake of it.

If tomorrow America suddenly declared itself a theocracy which denomination would be the authority?

edit on 7/10/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: Title mispelling

edit on 7/10/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: Creating a thread on 2 hours of sleep is a terrible idea

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hmmmm... either Baptist or Catholic I would think, they're the most popular out of all of them. Let's hope this never happens though, for everyone's sake.

link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
Let me preface this thread off with this: I am not trying to bait anyone or troll. The title is meant to be a little lighthearted but hopefully the thread will be informative with interesting debate/discussion about a hypothetical. This is something I have been pondering since the SCOTUS ruling two weeks ago and some of the more colourful headlines in the wake of it.

If tomorrow America suddenly declare itself a theocracy which denomination would be the authority?

The least Christian denomination, probably tele evangelist community that promise health and wealth, their gods a buddha, give money rub his tummy and you will receive your hearts desire.

link   
The Burger King theology: Have it your way.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

That was my initial conclusion too when I thought about it. Depending on the source of statistic, Protestant and Catholic come in first and/or second while Baptists are on a rise coming in third.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'll give you a hint, it's green and has a picture of Ben Franklin on it.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

But that denomination is already in charge.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Yea, well it would still be in charge. You don't think the Catholic church was in charge during the Middle Ages do you?

edit on 10-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Well I don't know about that - it would be an interesting show to watch.

Christian - if judged by practising the principles preaches in the Gospels - honestly I 'd have to say Quakers.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

That's an interesting take. Rather than go by majority, go by the most devout?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

If tomorrow America suddenly declare itself a theocracy which denomination would be the authority?

That's an easy one!

ISIS-INSPIRED SUNNI ISLAM

Duhh

edit on 7/10/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well , in the case mentioned the Constitution and separation of Church and State would no longer apply . It would be none of the established ones. The Holy Church of the Federal Empire of the US?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Nobody is asking the obvious question;
What power or authority is supposed to be deciding that America becomes a theocracy?
Surely whoever it is will nominate a denomination or coalition of denominations at the same time?
In the brief period when England was a theocracy, the power that made it one was Cromwell's army, so the Barebones Parliament was selected from the kind of churches which the army could approve. Few if any traditional Anglicans.

If Congress decides to hand over government power to a theocracy, which denominations would they choose?
If it happens by violent revolution, which denominations are more likely to come out top in a violent revolution?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I would hope it would the Unitarian Universalists, or the Episcopalians. Both very open-minded.

But, unfortunately, I'm afraid it would be the Seven-Mountain-Dominionists (like Sam Brownback, who is already a Governor) and the New-Apostolic-Reformation (Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Rick Santorum and others).

But, thank GOD, that will not happen either.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Well that's part of the hypothetical situation we are discussing here. There are some groups already calling for something like what you've described.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
How about the church of denial.

We as Americans live in a cloud of deception, lies , and denial.

Typical American:

We don't lie but we avoid the truth.

We lie but we present it as the truth.

We deny the above because we didn't know the truth.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

If it happens by violent revolution, which denominations are more likely to come out top in a violent revolution?

Catholics, for sure! Don't they already have a country of their own and a military of sorts? They certainly already control a number of countries, so they have that previous experience as well!

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
*snort*

I suspect the Good Ol' US is so far gone that if we are ever actually ruled by Theocracy there are three contenders: ISIS (or some brand of militant Islam), the AC, and Christ at His return and Millennial Kingdom.

The last two are givens at some point, and you all better hope to God that we don't make a pit stop at the first one on our way to the last two.

If we were going to get some kind of nominal Christian version, I would hope most would have enough respect to let well enough alone to the Law unless you get a real crazy who then be a nominal Christian at best.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

a reply to: FyreByrd

That's an interesting take. Rather than go by majority, go by the most devout?

That's how I look at it - who follows the precepts best in action, word and thought. But most here think I'm crazy.

I was impressed with how the Amish community handled the aftermath of the killing of their school children several years back. They took it upon themselves out of charity to care for the family of the killer - not only forgive but actively care for the family even in the depth of their pain and suffering.

Think how different this country, heck the world would be if in the aftermath of 9/11 the US had behaved in such a Christian manner?
edit on 10-7-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Would a nominal Muslim theocracy deserve as much respect as this theoretical nominal Christian one you speak of? If not, then I'd have to say that no nominal theocracy deserves respect, otherwise there is a bit of bias going into the argument, and bias and politics don't really mix well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join