It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

{ Shakes Head Face Palm ] I....people.....just....sigh

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
As I was going through Stumble, I found this. www.buzzfeed.com...
Now, I know many don't understand the Celsius to Fahrenheit thingy, but Dear God! this is just beyond stupid. These...people....are poking fun at Brits for "whigning" about the heat....when it "only 34". That's 34 C.

Now, I Googled it and from what I gather, our cousins across the pond are more used to dealing with 65 -75 in the Summer, so the current 93 is pretty hot to them. Here in the U.S., Summer temps in the 90s are normal and temps over 100 are very common, but for people who are not used to it, it is deadly. They also seem to think Brits should "be happy they're not in Australia" where it's 54 C.
It's not funny.
Here, warnings are issued for the elderly and the young when the heat gets that high, so imagine what those folks are dealing with, when 80 is getting a bit too warm and over 90 is insanely hot to you. If you don't understand the whole Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion, here's a rough rule of thumb to go by: Double what ever the number is and add 30. So, if it's 22, then multiply by 2 to get 44 then add 30, so it's around 74. [it's actually 71.6, but like I said ...rough conversion. ]
Next time you start thinking "That's not hot/cold, last Summer/Winter it got blahblahblah".... remember..it's all what you're used to. Winter in the Mid West may get a little rough by our standards, I'm just glad I don't live in Alaska.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

That made me laugh.

Remember as well that very few houses in the UK have air conditioning units so there is no escaping the heat.

Also it very often comes out of nowhere and you do not get a chance to aclimatise to it gradually.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Methinks using buzfeed as a source was a mistake.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

People are dumb all over. Thanks to medical science and technology they live longer and breed.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Anyone remember the days before AC ? I do. And in my state in the US summers can be brutal . Temps can go over 100 F .But thats not the problem. Add enough humidity to the air that you think you will drown with your next breath and you have a real problem. We survived the no AC days,,,

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I think the internet has made people dumber. Rather than learn something, they see an opinion on line somewhere and run with it. Could be a facebook post, doesn't' matter. It must be true! I saw it on the internet!

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Not to mention ... because they aren't used to it getting above 75 all that often, I'll bet most of them don't have AC as a standard in their homes.

I remember one summer we vacationed in Minnesota where they may have warm days, but the nights typically get quite cool. Well, they were in the middle of a heat wave that year and most of the homes didn't have AC. It got pretty unpleasant and all the fans were sold out.

For people not used to the temps in homes without internal climate control, it can be pretty nasty, dangerous too. You are absolutely right.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

This has been a topic on ATS before, but its been awhile.
I'm pretty old so that can explain what I was taught in school, but I was taught that the amount of difference between C. and F. graduations on both themos is exactly the same except for C. the freezing mark was moved to be zero on the scale. So people--especially in the states--make no allowances except to add or subtract 32 from any C. figure.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Methinks using buzfeed as a source was a mistake.

I think it was likely the commentary he was complaining about. People can be pretty dumb in their comments.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

It wouldn't surprise me if the 'Children of the Public Schools" don't even learn the proper difference between F and C anymore unless they elect to take class like chemistry where you actually really need it.

There seem to be a lot of "Children of the Public Schools" who emerge with the strange idea that all the world revolves around the US and no one else does things any differently than we do.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Lol, only 6 nations in the world use F for temperature, how backward is that.
C is so beautifully sensible, 0 C is the freezing point of pure water at sea level, while 100 C is it's boiling point.
1 cubic metre of pure water weighs 1000 Kilos, 1 metric ton.

The US with it's strange pounds and ounces, gallons etc makes me chuckle sometimes, but what would one expect from the only country in the world who spell Aluminium as Aluminum, lol, even the ATS spellchecker put a red line under Aluminium.

edit on 1.7.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Lol, only 6 nations in the world use F for temperature, how backward is that.
C is so beautifully sensible, 0 C is the freezing point of pure water at sea level, while 100 C is it's boiling point.
1 cubic metre of pure water weighs 1000 Kilos, 1 metric ton.

The US with it's strange pounds and ounces, gallons etc makes me chuckle sometimes, but what would one expect from the only country in the world who spell Aluminium as Aluminum, lol, even the ATS spellchecker put a red line under Aluminium.

Eh, it seems pretty backward to do it otherwise if you've only ever lived here.

But why on earth would you want to sell things in liters? Really?

For example, two liters of milk is way too much for a week and you waste it, but one liter is not nearly enough. A gallon, on the other hand, is just right!

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

We get 1.5 liter containers.

Oh and I'm hot.
Can't cool down so humid I may be stuck to my computer chair.
edit on 1-7-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This OP reminded me of a funny tumblr post seen a while back on Pinterest.

edit on 7 1 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Oh I don't know, I go through about 4 litres (note the correct English language spelling lol) each week, and that's just for myself.
We do still sell stuff in convenient (old person safe Imperial) measures though, I have a 568 Millilitre carton of milk in my fridge right now, that would be a pint to you Neanderthals.

Metric makes a # load of more sense than your crazy measurements, and the best bit about it is you guys have to conform with the world.
International science measurements are in metric. Every country in the world aside from the US and 5 minor nations.
You absolutely have to learn it and conform if you want a life outside the US...that makes me chuckle.

edit on 1.7.2015 by grainofsand because: typo's

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

We get 1.5 liter containers.

Oh and I'm hot.
Can't cool down so humid I may be stuck to my computer chair.

A trick I got from my mother - take a thin tee, wet down the back (or front) and sit right in front of a fan. The fan will blow off the moisture and help cool you. It may be too humid to have much effect, but you should at least try it.

And for sleeping, wet (not soaking but damp enough to cling) whichever surface will be up toward the fan.

Also, drink, drink, drink. You might occasionally add some salt or drink a Gatorade (or other sports drink in there), salted cold watermelon is good too.
edit on 1-7-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Oh I don't know, I go through about 4 litres (note the correct English language spelling lol) each week, and that's just for myself.
We do still sell stuff in convenient (old person safe Imperial) measures though, I have a 568 Millilitre carton of milk in my fridge right now, that would be a pint to you Neanderthals.

Metric makes a # load of more sense than your crazy measurements, and the best bit about it is you guys have to conform with the world.
International science measurements are in metric. Every country in the world aside from the US and 5 minor nations.
You absolutely have to learn it and conform if you want a life outside the UK...that makes me chuckle.

My husband is a scientist, so don't lecture me on metric. When I need conversions, I just cart him around.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Who is lecturing?
I'm just pointing out that the US is forced to conform with internationally recognised measurement standards because the rest of the world laughs at yours.
No lecture, just a mild amount of amusement at the only major country in the world which doesn't use the tens/hundreds/thousands system....maybe your education system would improve if your kids were not forced to learn the American system as well as the system the rest of the world uses in science?

edit on 1.7.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Who is lecturing?
I'm just pointing out that the US is forced to conform with internationally recognised measurement standards because the rest of the world laughs at yours.
No lecture, just a mild amount of amusement at the only major country in the world which doesn't use the tens/hundreds/thousands system....maybe your education system would improve if your kids were not forced to learn the American system as well as the system the rest of the world uses in science?

Yep, and because my husband talks metric and because I took a lot of chemistry in school and understand base 10 very well, I understand how metric works. It's very easy to learn.

Most US schools do spend time on it. Thing is that unless you have a profession where you constantly use it or take classes that make you practice, most kids end up like the ones commenting on BuzzFeed - "Children of the Public Schools."

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Salted cold water emlon omg I would pay five whole pounds for someone to nip down tesco to get me one.
Freezer pea time I think.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join