It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans always mention state they're from?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Are you just trying to pick a bone with the US? Its definutive to say city and state.a reply to: croatianguy

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

haha im from Freo too. But I never say Im from Fremantle, WA. Saying Freo is enough for any aussie to know where Im from.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

"Yobbos" is seriously one of the best names ever. EVER. Even beats wanker.

@ OP - I dunno why. Perhaps for foreign audiences?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Are you just trying to pick a bone with the US? Its definutive to say city and state.a reply to: croatianguy

No not at all. Just trying to get an explanation thats all. Yeah it just must be something official and definutive Americans do. Cool, thats all I wanted to know.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

pffftt whatevs. Freo sucks like its team.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Thank you! That's my point exactly. It can get confusing if state names aren't mentioned.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

pffftt whatevs. Freo sucks like its team.

Aussie fight.

Oh man. This is the best night of my life!

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
We do it in Australia too. We have some cities and towns like Hamilton and Kingston that are in multiple locations, sometimes even in the same state. For example here in SA, we have Kingston on the Murray river and Kingston SE on the coast.

I think it's one of those big country things as I don't ever recall us doing it in NZ either.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yeah we don't really fight over state stuff (bit of teasing is all ). Not like yanks. Sublime and Zazz turn their joint attention at Sham to launch a full scale assault on him instead ~~~.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: croatianguy

There is a los angeles, TX region, there are two las vegas, 7 springfields, two chicagos,

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I have no desire for that. Anybody who willingly lives with all those death dealing creatures in close proximity has my respect.

Besides, I was just trying to egg it on. Don't pretend like you didn't say sublime is ugly the other day. I totally heard it.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

No I said I think his bald is sexy. But he could do with a Tash trim.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: croatianguy
So there is another LA in US??

There is LA Maine but there LA stands for lewiston-auburn.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
There are a lot of towns named after places in England...especially on the northeast coast.

It could be a way to tell the difference between the separate towns.

Or, just dumb umericans that know crap all about geography and need to specify their location out loud to remind themselves where they are.

Dunno

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Tell ya story walkin woman, Freo will win the grand final, and thanks to the mayor we will all get a week off and the tax payers will pay for the reconstruction of the cappuccino strip after it's destroyed by non-yobbo Freo supporters (the ones without all their teeth - similar to Collingwood supporters, but better looking)

GO THE DOCKERS.

NB: How's yankie-land doing it for ya?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

The US is literally psycho.

And KAAARRNN THE BLOOODS!

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
In general conversation, we don't usually unless you're like me and you come from a place like Kansas City which does need to have the state specified.

But I would guess that the reason you see it listed that way when you're watching a TV show is that it's the general convention when we are taught to write.

"John Smith was born in Podunk Junction, WI, and moved to Nowheresville, OH, with his family when he was 10."

In general, it helps us navigate the mental maps in our head since there can be more than one of some places. For example, there are at least 34 different Springfields alone. So it just helps for everyone to be in the habit of listing city, state when they write.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

But why say "I'm from LA, California or Chicago, Illinois?

You must be talking to different folks than me, lol, because I hear people say "I'm from LA" and "I'm from Chicago" all the time and never tack the State name on the end like you described. (Unless, as others pointed out, the city name alone is ambiguous due to multiple cities with the same name-- especially when the one they live in is not the 'famous' one.)

Sorry you've had to talk to my doofus countrymen. Here, have a beer.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I think state pride is something to do with it . Besides if somebody said they were from LA they could also mean lower Alabama . Lol

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Alaska, WV
Arkansas, WV
Belgium, WV
Beverly Hills, WV
Cairo, WV
Calcutta, WV
Cuba, WV
Egypt, WV
Four States, WV
Israel, WV