It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take Down the Fascist, Anti-Christian Gay-Pride Flag from Government Building!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Damn right! Wave that Kiss flag!

Lol jk!

edit on 24-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Here's the funny thing.

When the rainbow flag was designed in 1978, it was not created for the sole use of the Queer community. The actual name of the flag is the Equality flag, with the colours used to symbolize that everyone everywhere fits somewhere under the rainbow, gay or straight.

Unlike the Confederate flag which is a pretty inclusive symbol to a (hopefully) small group, the equality flag is meant for everyone including your enemies.

That's why it shouldn't be removed.
The Hakenkreuz (better known as the Swastika) was originally intended to be a symbol of good luck, or if you take the Japanese Interpretation, that many people are united. Symbols change meaning over time, unfortunately. It's rallying banner of the LGBT movement, and has no place on government buildings.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Well in all fairness, we ARE talking about two separate state governments here, though I'm sure reps from Cali have spoken up about removing the Confederate flag. So you are also probably right.
edit on 24-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

One is a flag of hatred and oppression.

The other is a flag of a movement for freedom from hatred and oppression.

I think there's a very large distinction there.

Christians need to remember. You reap what you sow.

If you are constantly condemning gay people. It's gonna come back at ya.

The opposite could be argued on the Rainbow flag.
the Confed flag was seen by its supporters back then was seen the same way. It was in protest in their eyes against Northern Oppression. the only difference is your point of view.

Also... The confederate flag is nto a RELGIOUS ONE so how is it "christians fault?"

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Some of us know better. If I see a swastika in a white circle surrounded by a red background, I know it is a symbol for the Nazi party. If I see the swastika emblazoned on Buddha's hand, I know it means good fortune.

It doesn't work the same for the Confederate flag because it has been associated with anti-integration since the 1940s.

The Equality flag rallies for equality meant for everyone. It just so happens that the group fighting the most for their equality right now is the queer community.
edit on 6/24/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Lol jk!

Only if you want to rock and roll all night and party every day.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

It's not too far of a stretch. Majority of the South, presently and historically, has been Christian. Some used the Bible to justify owning slaves because it was their "god-given right" according to the "good" book.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Lol jk!

Careful now, you don't want to be waving that symbol of Christian oppression around because

God gave rock 'n' roll to you

Gave rock 'n' roll to you ...

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Did you know peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist?

There should be two flags there, the state flag and the stars and stripes.

People are losing their minds
edit on 013030p://bWednesday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

a reply to: yuppa

It's not too far of a stretch. Majority of the South, presently and historically, has been Christian. Some used the Bible to justify owning slaves because it was their "god-given right" according to the "good" book.

Oh, please! The majority of the country was Christian, north and south, and just like some used it to justify slavery, others used it justify abolition. Calling it a symbol of Christian persecution and oppression is a real stretch.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm a Northerner anyway, the Confederate flag is of another country.

But how many other flags fly at our schools in California and Texas? That Mexican flag needs to go from schools.

How many people on ATS will say the flag of Mexico is appropriate and should be flown because of the large Mexican population?

This is the United States, the United States flag is to be flown on government buildings, and schools right now are government buildings, they are part of the communities, counties, states and country.

Gay pride flag? It is not the official flag of this country so take it down. Confederate flag? That's also of another country because the Confederacy WAS another country, seceded from the United States.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: grey580

One is a flag of hatred and oppression.

The other is a flag of a movement for freedom from hatred and oppression.

I think there's a very large distinction there.

Christians need to remember. You reap what you sow.

If you are constantly condemning gay people. It's gonna come back at ya.

the Confed flag was seen by its supporters back then was seen the same way. It was in protest in their eyes against Northern Oppression. the only difference is your point of view.

Also... The confederate flag is nto a RELGIOUS ONE so how is it "christians fault?"

No, the Confederate flag is the flag of the Confederacy, not a religious one. In fact, the Confederate flag is also part of the Union Jack because it was aligned with the UK for the first part of the war.

Pierre Beauregard's flag design that is flown now, IS a war flag. Therefore, it means that they intend the Confederacy to still be at war with the United States. And it has nothing to do with religion.

ETA: I had to read your post again, I realized you said "is not". You are correct.
edit on 6/24/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm not calling it a Christian symbol. It is a racist flag. I'm just stating that it wouldn't be surprising or a stretch that some Christians stood behind the flag proudly at one time or another. Look at the KKK. They are a Christian organization that happily waves the Confederate flag in addition to their own.

Don't forget that the South has also the distinction of being the Bible Belt of America.
edit on 6/24/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

I'm a Northerner anyway, the Confederate flag is of another country.

But how many other flags fly at our schools in California and Texas? That Mexican flag needs to go from schools.

How many people on ATS will say the flag of Mexico is appropriate and should be flown because of the large Mexican population?

This is the United States, the United States flag is to be flown on government buildings, and schools right now are government buildings, they are part of the communities, counties, states and country.

Gay pride flag? It is not the official flag of this country so take it down. Confederate flag? That's also of another country because the Confederacy WAS another country, seceded from the United States.

Agree with all points, at a basic level.

The number one reason to take down the Confederate Flag is that it is a symbol for another country, one that was a rebellion against ours.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

YUP, how about that Mexican flag?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Well NOW you've done it! We can't have anything nice can we?

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

The first has a demonstrable history of a powerful group enslaving and oppressing a minority (Blacks).

The first slave owner in the US was a black man. It is arguable that the liberal democrats have done far more to enslave the black minority than conservatives ever have. In fact, their mainstay in politics is in maintaining the victim status of the modern black, who was never enslaved. It is only through their willingness to be victimized by liars and thieves who sacrifice them at the political altar that they are oppressed at all.

This is the problem with legislating freedom. Unless you enforce it equally straight across the board you will find yourself in an untenable position of having to protect one groups rights by taking away anothers. That cant work in the long run.
edit on 24-6-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: WarminIndy

YUP, how about that Mexican flag?

Not American and should be flown over schools in Mexico, not the United States.

BTW, Cinco De Mayo is the Mexican Day of Independence, right? Why do we have to recognize that and not any other country's days of Independence?

If we want to be fair then we should be celebrating Bastille Day and make French our third "official" language, and while we are at it, also make EVERY language official in this country, because we are more than just a country of Mexican immigrants.

Let's be fair to everyone.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I'm not calling it a Christian symbol. It is a racist flag. I'm just stating that it wouldn't be surprising or a stretch that some Christians stood behind the flag proudly at one time or another. Look at the KKK. They are a Christian organization that happily waves the Confederate flag in addition to their own.

Don't forget that the South has also the distinction of being the Bible Belt of America.

Again, what part of the majority of the country - north and south - was Christian in those days escaped you? Of course, Christians stood behind that flag.

But you were phrasing it as though Christianity were the cause of the marching under that flag as though the Confederacy were a religious Crusade of some kind.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

But yuppa.

The confederate flag has and always been a flag flown by those that supported slavery.

Yes freedom from northern oppression so that the south could keep slaves.

That's a flag that should never be flown on any capital building. Because at its' core it supports slavery.

and the christian comment was just a general one about the rainbow flag.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join