It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Help!!!! College/Career Advice Anyone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I could really use some other perspectives at this point in my life - I'm convinced that if I continue on the path I am on that I will become very unhappy and unfulfilled.. I've been getting more frustrated lately and am at the point where I am ready to make a move to get myself to a better place.

Basically, I am working non-stop (in an entry-level position) and am being passed up for better opportunities because it is a small organization and funding is limited. I have the experience and skills to perform at a higher level on the totem pole, but it's not feasible due to politics and the nature of the work (it is a non-profit and our budgeting relies on grant funds, which we are continually trying to replenish with new grants).

I have 3 credentials (a certificate in advanced machine tool technology, an associate degree and a bachelor degree), but am really itching to get back in school and start working towards a graduate degree. I'm working so much, and am in an area where there aren't any local colleges that could support a part-time class schedule.

I am interested in public policy/public administration, business administration, economics, law, and even mining geology - I would love to continue my education in any of these areas. But I don't want to go through an online program if the degree I earn is seen as "substandard".

My mind is very active and I'm completely anxious to start learning and working toward a new credential but am unsure of where to go from here based on where I live, my working situation, and the availability of suitable educational programs.

My company would not help me work on my degree, but because they are so inflexible and I've performed exceeding all expectations (for the past several years), I do feel that I would be in the right if I advocate for myself since this is something that is so important to me.

I was wondering if any of my ATS friends had any words of wisdom or alternative ideas I might not have thought of.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

On the job front my advise is always... Keep applying for jobs everyday, jobs above your current level and it will soon pay off.

Education wise... Can you get student loans/grants to help you by?

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
With an interest in administration, economics and law have you though about self employment and running your own business? These are all important aspects of running your own business. Finding the right product or service can be hard and makes a big difference so do some market research first. Expect long hours and little pay.

some plans can take a long time to happen and things do change along the way. If you where to have a perfect life, just what it is exactly you want to be doing? Having some idea or goal does help lead the way.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Are you able to join the Military? With a degree (Bachelors) you can go in as an officer and get some good resume' experience, along with money for college. Plus you won't have to wonder what to do for the next 4 years. Just be sure you join the Coast Guard of the USAF. That way you won't have to be close to any front line war. Coast Guard isn't a cake walk, but you will be close to some US city.

There are many cities with lots of jobs available. If you don't like the military angle, maybe a drastic change of scenery is in order.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Advice: Do not borrow a dime to take a useless class.

If you are not targeting a specific high paying job like Pharmacist, MD, Optometrist, Accountant, BS in nursing, or Chemical Engineer then you are wasting your time and money and will probably be in debt the rest of your life.

Do not go 10's of thousands into debt for a 25K a year job... that is just stupid. I understand most of the younger generation is doing exactly that but don't join the herd of stupid... it will hurt later.

Most college degrees "earned... LOL" might as well say "Spent 50K for a degree in useless facts and theory" which will not get you a job or the job you get is a joke.

Stop listening to stories of "I know someone who made money doing this" the 1 out of a 1000 who wasted their time.

Only take classes that are a direct translation for a job that employes 90% + of graduates in that field (like most "professional" medical degrees).

Why do you think there has been talk of "free college"?

Free college is a jobs program for "educated idiots" who have useless degrees to get paid to teach other idiots useless information that will not get them a job so they can also become jobless and unemployable with their useless degree or maybe pass on their useless facts and theories teaching them to other idiots through the "gimme a teaching job" program.
edit on 23-6-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You are right, but I have to add that even if you are targeting one of those areas in which you'll be more highly paid as I did, you might still face a mountain of debt for the rest of your life.

I went in a little over 50 grand and now make twice that a year, have been paying on my loans for 8 years and still owe 45 grand. I didn't graduate from college until age 48, so as you can see, I don't have the time to pay down the debt that a younger person would. I assume you are much younger, so this may not be a problem for you.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: wtbengineer

I see. At least you took the road of common sense and targeted a job that pays.

So sad that so many in their twenties have nobody to tell them these things. They are constantly lied to and told to do what they feel they LIKE.

I guess they like being in debt and poor.

As I told my daughter... don't make minimum payments on the loan with the highest interest rate, throw 500 to 1k a month at whichever loan has the highest interest rate until paid off then shift the money to the next. You will get them paid off in no time comparatively.

The way they have it set up is like a 30 year mortgage, you pay 2 to 3 times the original principle. Get them knocked out quick, save 10's of thousands in interest.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I am researching grants (since they are loans you don't actually have to pay back), but it's difficult right now because I'm working in one state and want to get back into school that is the next state over, so there is the residency issue.

Logistics and location are a big obstacle because there aren't many schooling options where I live (except for in degrees that are not in alignment with my skills/interests) but I'm stuck here for my job at the moment, which is why I was considering online school but after research I've decided that too would be more trouble than it's worth

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

You make a great point - in the perfect scenario I would be managing grassroots campaign work on issues like environmental conservation or opposing the enormous tax subsidies/corporate overrule we are seeing nowadays.

But I am only 25 years old and because I'm younger, a lot of community members wouldn't care for what I think or have to say, which is another barrier career-wise in general

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: kwakakev

You make a great point - in the perfect scenario I would be managing grassroots campaign work on issues like environmental conservation or opposing the enormous tax subsidies/corporate overrule we are seeing nowadays.

But I am only 25 years old and because I'm younger, a lot of community members wouldn't care for what I think or have to say, which is another barrier career-wise in general

Ask yourself "Is this feasible or a pipe dream?"

Now access the debt your are already in, what you will have to make to really ever pay it back and still have enough to have a decent life, then decide what professional job is "good enough" to make the salary you will require to live and payback the 10's of thousands of debt that already is or will be accumulated.

I will be the bad guy as someone needs to tell you the truth as there is a good chance that you will be in debt and poor the rest of your life unless you immediately re-focus on a true career.

The "something will come up" or "the job will find me" hasn't worked well for most people. Once you admit the "fantasy" of the dream career is most probably just a "fantasy" and get your crap together to focus your resources and time into a high paying career, the better chance you will have in life.

Yes, all of my Children have had the same lecture and more. My oldest daughter graduated last year with her BSN and works in a cardiac unit. She makes more than enough to pay back her debt plus a few hundred extra and still have a decent wage to live on.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
We found ourselves in a similar situation (although no education...just working too hard to be able to breathe and get one).

We bit the bullet and lived the most basic, spartan life you could imagine while my wife went through nursing school. its where i learned to cook. having kids, they still want treats and things like that, so i learned how to make everything under the sun from scratch, i worked odd jobs to put food in the fridge, and we just kind of made it work until she graduated.

Maybe not feasible for you....but you'd be surprised how little money it takes to get by when you are willing to sacrifice anything to gain everything.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I could really use some other perspectives at this point in my life - I'm convinced that if I continue on the path I am on that I will become very unhappy and unfulfilled.. I've been getting more frustrated lately and am at the point where I am ready to make a move to get myself to a better place.

Basically, I am working non-stop (in an entry-level position) and am being passed up for better opportunities because it is a small organization and funding is limited. I have the experience and skills to perform at a higher level on the totem pole, but it's not feasible due to politics and the nature of the work (it is a non-profit and our budgeting relies on grant funds, which we are continually trying to replenish with new grants).

I have 3 credentials (a certificate in advanced machine tool technology, an associate degree and a bachelor degree), but am really itching to get back in school and start working towards a graduate degree. I'm working so much, and am in an area where there aren't any local colleges that could support a part-time class schedule.

I am interested in public policy/public administration, business administration, economics, law, and even mining geology - I would love to continue my education in any of these areas. But I don't want to go through an online program if the degree I earn is seen as "substandard".

My mind is very active and I'm completely anxious to start learning and working toward a new credential but am unsure of where to go from here based on where I live, my working situation, and the availability of suitable educational programs.

My company would not help me work on my degree, but because they are so inflexible and I've performed exceeding all expectations (for the past several years), I do feel that I would be in the right if I advocate for myself since this is something that is so important to me.

I was wondering if any of my ATS friends had any words of wisdom or alternative ideas I might not have thought of.

I have the same background, including lots of non-profit work.

I'd say go for getting the masters. To be honest, now days people are respecting the MBA a lot more than the MPA (policy/public administration) masters. I turned down going to an MBA school to do a high-ranked MPA. I think in hindsight I would have done the MBA instead as a career launcher.

Don't do the law degree unless you TRULY want to be a lawyer, know you would enjoy the real nitty gritty work, and don't just want to use it as a social justice lever. Almost all lawyers or former lawyers I know have said the same.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
A Masters in Electrical Engineering with a minor in computer science. You could write your own ticket...

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Get an LLC and become a consultant. Your education and experience is enough qualification.

consultantjournal.com...

Making money for others in a dead end job, isn't even close to the "American Dream"
edit on 23-6-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Here are some things that helped me go back to school while still working full time.

-I found a local community college that has an affiliation with a larger school. Although it was a community college you could graduate all they way up to masters and it would just have the partner schools name on it.
-I did LOTS of shopping around. I crossed the state line but found that they had a discount for residents that lived in counties that bordered their state, so I only paid $25 more a class than in-state students (WAY cheaper than out of state and still cheaper than any instate schools I could find.)
-Find someone who is willing to work to get you! I know that sounds silly but its true, sell yourself. I found a great counselor who sat down and helped me fill out TONS of scholarship applications. Even though I had been out of school for 20 years she was still able to get me $1000 a year in scholarships (I got more the next year added based on grades).
-It is cheaper to find a local college that offers on-line classes than to go to one of the BIG online schools.
-Look at working on multiple degrees at once. Many credits can be used for more than one degree. In two years I received 2 degrees and 4 certifications. (While only paying a bit more than those who only got 1 degree).

If college still doesn't sound right, look into certifications. I have gotten more out of the certifications that I picked up than the two degrees I earned.

Another option would be to use your experience and current degrees to get a job at a company that IS willing to help you further your education. It sounds like you have gone as far as possible where you are now. It's scary but sometimes stepping away is the best thing.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I have a BS in Business Administration and currently work as an HR Director for my state. The best advice I received from my adviser in college was to specialize. He told me everyone goes for a Business Admin or Public Administration degree. These are pretty generic and if I really wanted an edge, I should specialize. He told me HR would be the way to go and would set me apart from many of the other students. He was right and HR has opened a lot of doors for me. Now, HR might not be your cup of tea, but perhaps his advice could also help you.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I should have added this also, look into online programs. I completed my degree online as I was already employed full time when I went back to college. I was able to complete twice as many classes per year compared to actually attending on campus classes. Additionally, these classes allowed me to be flexible as to when I actually sat down to study and participate with the rest of my class. Let me know if you have any questions.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: warpig69

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this - I'm been really struggling with finding a reputable online schooling option.

I looked at options like Walden University because a senior exec. at my company got her M.S. from Walden, but after reading reviews a lot of people said Walden (and the other "big" online schools) will overcharge or are not there for the students as much.

I live in New Hampshire and there isn't a lot going on over here which is why I'm also thinking I may just need to find a decent job in a better location before I can really get the ball rolling on other career opportunities. But any advice you have on looking for online options would be much appreciated. Thank you again Warpig69

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

You might check out Peru State College, this is where I completed my degree. It is a small State college in Nebraska, but don't let that scare you. They had one of the top 5 online programs in the nation when I went back in 2006. They also rated high due to their low cost per credit hour. I was going to go back for my Masters, but to be honest, I am done with school.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Also, unless you want to be an actual economist or do economic analysis, do NOT do the economics masters. A good MPA or MBA will force you to take the graduate economics anyways, but also train you for management. They also are considered professional degrees, like law or something else.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join