It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Temple at Abydos have hieroglyphics depicting modern-day aircraft.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I think it is very possible that an advanced group of humans could have created flying machines a long time ago.

If that were the case, then they would have had to have progressed to that level; "Flying machines" don't just appear one morning. There would have been a long history of technological development that would have left tons of clues in the archaeological record. It didn't happen.
edit on 6/23/2015 by admirethedistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: Halfswede
a reply to: Marduk

If you look at your own link, the blue is "possible identification", and the red is totally unidentified, so it is just a theory with a pretty big (blue and red) stretch leading to the conclusion.

I am not saying there were these machines then, but it would be a collosal coincidence that superimposed glyphs created not one, but 3 distinctly identifiable images of machinery from roughly the same time period within inches of each other.

It would be more plausible that the whole thing was hoaxed than superimposed.

Stop for a moment to think:

The glyphs in question:

Part of Seti I's Nebty name:

Harte

With respect to the bottom photo, is that taken from another location? Also, is the top picture depicting what was underneath the pealed off panel portion, or a combination of old and new etchings? Playing devil's advocate (not saying I believe this), is it possible that ancient Egyptians came to the Giza site and interpreted these and other older images as something else to come up with their own simplistic writing system? What I mean is that if 5,000 years from now someone found etchings of space shuttles and computers, could they misinterpret these images as a hand or box and assume that they're actually deciphering an older language. Basically redrawing these sacred symbols, but depicting something they understand like a hand. Again, I'm sure I'm missing a lot of facts here so please set me straight with my assumptions. Thanks.
edit on 23-6-2015 by skybolt because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2015 by skybolt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
A picture tells a thousand words, put in a human in the equation, and you got a book.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Temudjin
A picture tells a thousand words, put in a human in the equation, and you got a book.

In general people think differently. We're not all the same. Certain people will look at the evidence in front of them and slowly go from points A to Z connecting all the dots. If the data does not support the findings then moving from step D to E will not make sense. They won't even think about step F until this enigma is resolved. Others like myself will start at point Z and work their way back. The more information they gather during the process the more they'll be able to eliminate points X, Y and Z. For me it's more fun that way, especially if it has to do with a subject that I consider interesting and fun.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: skybolt

If you look at your own link, the blue is "possible identification", and the red is totally unidentified, so it is just a theory with a pretty big (blue and red) stretch leading to the conclusion.

I am not saying there were these machines then, but it would be a collosal coincidence that superimposed glyphs created not one, but 3 distinctly identifiable images of machinery from roughly the same time period within inches of each other.

The glyphs in question:

Harte

With respect to the bottom photo, is that taken from another location? Also, is the top picture depicting what was underneath the pealed off panel portion, or a combination of old and new etchings? Playing devil's advocate (not saying I believe this), is it possible that ancient Egyptians came to the Giza site and interpreted these and other older images as something else to come up with their own simplistic writing system? What I mean is that if 5,000 years from now someone found etchings of space shuttles and computers, could they misinterpret these images as a hand or box and assume that they're actually deciphering an older language. Basically redrawing these sacred symbols, but depicting something they understand like a hand. Again, I'm sure I'm missing a lot of facts here so please set me straight with my assumptions. Thanks.

Both come from the same temple. The pic on top was part of the five-fold royal titulary (link, originally for Seti I, that went across the lintel all along the top of the room.
Link to pic from Phage's earlier post, found at Catchpenny Mysteries of Ancient Egypt.

That pic shows a bit more of the lintel.

Interestingly, the part in that pic to the left of the bee and the sedge shows the same thing happening - distortion of the glyphs with Seti's name showing through.

But it doesn't look like a helicopter so nobody cares.

One would need to ask, if these glyphs were already here when the Egyptians came along, as you seem to imply (not sure if you are,) then why did the previous occupiers write Seti's name and Ramses II's (Seti's son) name in this pic all around the temple?

Harte

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
This thread reminds me of the scene from Beyond Thunderdome. When Max comes across a bunch of children that just have it all wrong... Sorry to tell you guys but that's not captain Walker.

Edit:

youtu.be...
edit on 24-6-2015 by JeanPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The glyphs in question:

Harte

Both come from the same temple. The pic on top was part of the five-fold royal titulary (link, originally for Seti I, that went across the lintel all along the top of the room.
Link to pic from Phage's earlier post, found at Catchpenny Mysteries of Ancient Egypt.

Interestingly, the part in that pic to the left of the bee and the sedge shows the same thing happening - distortion of the glyphs with Seti's name showing through.

One would need to ask, if these glyphs were already here when the Egyptians came along, as you seem to imply (not sure if you are,) then why did the previous occupiers write Seti's name and Ramses II's (Seti's son) name in this pic all around the temple?

Harte

Thanks for the reply Harte, much appreciated. I definitely need to go back and look at the fine details regarding this subject. Again, sometimes it's fun to initially speculate even after all the facts come forward it doesn't amount to anything controversial.

I do have a question for you though, but you don't have to answer. I've read a lot of your posts in the past and appreciate the fact that you look for reasonable explanations before jumping to conclusions. You definitely do your homework and factor in all the pieces. That being said, with all the information us humans have been able to acquire about our past )via archeology and science), what would you list as your top 5 things regarding our history that defy any logic, that still require a lot more evidence before making a decision one way or the other. The reason I ask this, is if someone like yourself baffled about a certain mystery from our past, then it's more likely than not that the answer isn't out there yet (not saying that we won't find it in the near future with more digging). Thanks again!

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

With respect to the bottom photo, is that taken from another location? Also, is the top picture depicting what was underneath the pealed off panel portion, or a combination of old and new etchings?

What you are seeing is a combination of new and old etchings. Seti I's name was there first, then Ramsesses II decided to put his name there when he finished the temple. To do this the original engravings are filled in with plaster then the new glyphs are carved over the original spot. After many hundreds of years the plaster will fall away leaving the combination of the two carvings in the stone.

It really is a fairly common occurrence, here are some examples from Karnak Link

This site does a pretty good job of explaining what is happening on that portion of the lintel link , the picture below was taken from that site.

Here is another picture of more of the lintel, a little clearer than the one Harte provided, with the Netby glyphs called out in red. As Harte pointed out the same thing is happening to the left of the Bee and Sedge, with I believe their Throne names, Ramesses II over Seti I.

Lastly I would like to point out the these shapes bear a resemblance only to modern machines, they are not very accurate depictions: A 'helicopter' with a big chuck missing from the middle and lacking a tail rotor, a 'tank' with no wheels or treads. And as Marduk pointed out earlier, the entire idea doesn't make any sense considering the context. The carving on the lintel is akin to a sentence, and you just don't find random pictures inserted in the middle of a sentence.
edit on 24-6-2015 by Donner because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2015 by Donner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Donner

With respect to the bottom photo, is that taken from another location? Also, is the top picture depicting what was underneath the pealed off panel portion, or a combination of old and new etchings?

What you are seeing is a combination of new and old etchings. Seti I's name was there first, then Ramsesses II decided to put his name there when he finished the temple. To do this the original engravings are filled in with plaster then the new glyphs are carved over the original spot. After many hundreds of years the plaster will fall away leaving the combination of the two carvings in the stone.

It really is a fairly common occurrence, here are some examples from Karnak Link

This site does a pretty good job of explaining what is happening on that portion of the lintel link , the picture below was taken from that site.

Here is another picture of the full lintel, with the Netby glyphs called out in red. As Harte pointed out the same thing is happening to the left of the Bee and Sedge, with I believe their Throne names, Ramesses II over Seti I.

Lastly I would like to point out the these shapes bear a resemblance only to modern machines, they are not very accurate depictions: A 'helicopter' with a big chuck missing from the middle and lacking a tail rotor, a 'tank' with no wheels or treads. And as Marduk pointed out earlier, the entire idea doesn't make any sense considering the context. The carving on the lintel is akin to a sentence, and you just don't find random pictures inserted in the middle of a sentence.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. In all honesty I'm just glad that this is not a 20th century hoax. At least if I ever visit the site I can admire the panels for what they are.
edit on 24-6-2015 by skybolt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The glyphs in question:

Harte

Harte

Thanks for the reply Harte, much appreciated. I definitely need to go back and look at the fine details regarding this subject. Again, sometimes it's fun to initially speculate even after all the facts come forward it doesn't amount to anything controversial.

From the previous post, it seemed that you thought that this temple was at Giza. It's not. It's at Abydos.

Here's a link to a photo site that has collections from various Egyptian sites. It is the original source of the Seti Nebty name panel I posted, and I'd at least like to recognize that here.

Abydos is there along with several others.

originally posted by: skyboltI do have a question for you though, but you don't have to answer. I've read a lot of your posts in the past and appreciate the fact that you look for reasonable explanations before jumping to conclusions. You definitely do your homework and factor in all the pieces. That being said, with all the information us humans have been able to acquire about our past )via archeology and science), what would you list as your top 5 things regarding our history that defy any logic, that still require a lot more evidence before making a decision one way or the other. The reason I ask this, is if someone like yourself baffled about a certain mystery from our past, then it's more likely than not that the answer isn't out there yet (not saying that we won't find it in the near future with more digging). Thanks again!

There are a million question marks about prehistory in general, but even more about previous species of humans.

That's where I do my head scratching.

AFAIK, there exist no real mysteries in any major sense concerning any historical period, by which I mean after writing was invented.

However, I'd really really like to know about any H. Erectus' boats, rafts (if any) and things like that.

My feeling is that one or more of the several versions of what we used to call Homo Erectus was capable of far more than anything we know today.

Harte

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The glyphs in question:

Harte

Harte

From the previous post, it seemed that you thought that this temple was at Giza. It's not. It's at Abydos.

Here's a link to a photo site that has collections from various Egyptian sites. It is the original source of the Seti Nebty name panel I posted, and I'd at least like to recognize that here.

Abydos is there along with several others.

originally posted by: skyboltI do have a question for you though, but you don't have to answer. I've read a lot of your posts in the past and appreciate the fact that you look for reasonable explanations before jumping to conclusions. You definitely do your homework and factor in all the pieces. That being said, with all the information us humans have been able to acquire about our past )via archeology and science), what would you list as your top 5 things regarding our history that defy any logic, that still require a lot more evidence before making a decision one way or the other. The reason I ask this, is if someone like yourself baffled about a certain mystery from our past, then it's more likely than not that the answer isn't out there yet (not saying that we won't find it in the near future with more digging). Thanks again!

There are a million question marks about prehistory in general, but even more about previous species of humans.

That's where I do my head scratching.

AFAIK, there exist no real mysteries in any major sense concerning any historical period, by which I mean after writing was invented.

However, I'd really really like to know about any H. Erectus' boats, rafts (if any) and things like that.

My feeling is that one or more of the several versions of what we used to call Homo Erectus was capable of far more than anything we know today.

Harte

Good point. When we talk about things that occurred on this planet tens to hundreds of thousands years ago most of the evidence is completely lost to time. Like yourself I'm also an engineer (mostly roadway and hydraulic design), and the one thing I just can't get my head around is why would ancient people build such beautiful, extremely large, perfectly aligned structures over several thousand years without inventing tools to make it easier to perform the work. I do think that over time we'll find evidence that the ancient Egyptians had very similar technology to the Romans, even if they did posses hundreds of thousands of slaves to perform the work.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: skybolt

I just can't get my head around is why would ancient people build such beautiful, extremely large, perfectly aligned structures over several thousand years without inventing tools to make it easier to perform the work.

You have to remember that the giza complex was built in the early part of the copper age.
They were using the most cost effective tools of the day, stone. There is very good evidence that there was some use of iron tipped copper chisels for some of the more intricate work, and since the iron was the most valuable thing around, at the time, it would not have been left lying around.
When the bronze and iron ages came on fully, they did take advantage of the new tool techniques.

Let go of that outdated mindset that the ancient Egyptian used slave labor, the craftsmen were paid professionals, and the grunt work was done by "volunteers", during non harvest and non planting seasons. People would journey hundreds of miles to work on the living God's tomb.
They would be fed from the royal granaries and that would also ease the home life as there were less mouths to feed when people went off to work.
The Romans inherited their engineering prowess from the Greeks who in turn inherited it from the Egyptians.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

I just can't get my head around is why would ancient people build such beautiful, extremely large, perfectly aligned structures over several thousand years without inventing tools to make it easier to perform the work.

You have to remember that the giza complex was built in the early part of the copper age.
They were using the most cost effective tools of the day, stone. There is very good evidence that there was some use of iron tipped copper chisels for some of the more intricate work, and since the iron was the most valuable thing around, at the time, it would not have been left lying around.
When the bronze and iron ages came on fully, they did take advantage of the new tool techniques.

Let go of that outdated mindset that the ancient Egyptian used slave labor, the craftsmen were paid professionals, and the grunt work was done by "volunteers", during non harvest and non planting seasons. People would journey hundreds of miles to work on the living God's tomb.
They would be fed from the royal granaries and that would also ease the home life as there were less mouths to feed when people went off to work.
The Romans inherited their engineering prowess from the Greeks who in turn inherited it from the Egyptians.

Well this is exactly what I'm talking about. Why can't the Egyptians have invented (or at least used) large iron tipped saws to cut the limestone material and then eventually took this material apart to use elsewhere? It's not like 5,000 years from now people will find giant cranes situated inside skyscrapers. Isn't there evidence of large pits at the Giza plateau that could've housed these giant circular saws operated by hand? What I'm basically saying is if people are smart enough to build something like the Great Pyramids (with all the perfectly aligned inner chambers), Puma Punku, etc. then surely they would've been smart enough to invent better and more efficient tools to take on such tasks. Just because a Pharaoh wants a large tomb to be constructed, it's not like they'll go in there afterwards with a tape measure and level and say, hey guys this inner chamber is off by 3/4 inch, I specifically said 1/2". Again, I'm not talking about advanced technology utilizing electricity/lasers, etc., but similar to what the Romans had with the windlasses and so forth.

My other gripe with history books is that they'll state that the Aymara people built Puma Punku, but at the same time aren't given credit for being master planners and builders for the exquisite work performed at this particular site. If evidence of how something is built exists then its a masterpiece, but if none exists, then its child's play that anyone with a half a brain can construct. As an engineer I just can't accept these things without questioning them.

Also, if the Greeks inherited their technology from Egypt, wouldn't the technology they inherited be from the New Kingdom, which let's face it, comes no where close to what the old kingdom was able to achieve.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

While copper was important, they were already using bronze before the Giza complex was begun. link

Harte

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
The pyramid building age lasted from 2575–2150 BC, not thousands of years and the builders weren't slaves

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk
The pyramid building age lasted from 2575–2150 BC, not thousands of years and the builders weren't slaves

www.bbc.co.uk...

Apologies for the confusion in my previous statement. When I stated thousands of years I meant everything between Gobekli Tepe to before the Spanish arrived to the Americas in the late 15th Century. The thing I fail to understand is how did cultures all across the world from Egypt (old to new kingdom), Gobekli Tepe, Puma Punku, Petra, Machu Pichu, etc. develop all these skills in massive scale of construction and planning, and then many generations later are back to more primitive construction techniques? How did all these cultures gain and lose these skills all across the world at various time periods? Did they have geniuses in their societies similar to Einstein and De Vinci to help them along? If they had to relocate due to drought or famine why couldn't they have taken these skills with them and started over? Again, as a Civil Engineer I'm not just impressed by the cutting of one wall to perfection or moving a 300 ton block, but the complexity that went into the planning and construction of these intricate sites all across the world. For instance, looking at Gobekli Tepe, if it was just one stone circle with 20 ft high pillars I'd say fine no biggie, but to build the entire site with over 30 stone circles (at various levels), it would require a lot of engineering skill from a planning, structural and geotechnical perspective. The Pyramids at Giza are even more impressive. If constructed for a Pharaoh why go the extra mile of making the inner chambers exactly the same width all the way across and aligned perfectly? Why weren't pharaohs from the new kingdom or other later cultures across the world that concerned about the same type of precision in construction? Why no specific mention in Egyptian hieroglyphics that this structure was built with all these bells and whistles since they were apt to write everything down. For instance, why are pharaohs from the new kingdom so pompous about constructing inferior structures, while pharaohs from the old kingdom are so humble about building the only standing 7th wonder of the world?

Like I mentioned above, I don't want to stop thinking about the what ifs if the evidence doesn't exist at this point. For instance, if a police detective is suspicious of a suspect would he just stop being suspicious because he can't find the murder weapon? At the end of the day I may come around and believe what people like Harte believe since he's spent many years educating himself researching and coming to his conclusions. I respect that. I'm relatively new to this intriguing subject, but it's certainly fun reading all the material (on both sides) and just learning more with each passing day. Again, thanks guys for all the replies, much appreciated.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Because they were tombs, and tombs get robbed.
The Egyptians soon learned that you can't ensure the safety of the Kings grave goods when you are putting them in a huge tomb. So they started creating hidden tombs instead
This is why there are three burials at Giza and 63 (that we currently know of) buried in hidden tombs in the valley of the kings.

The whole point of the pyramid was to ensure the kings luxurious afterlife, when it became clear the idea didn't work, they moved on to something that did.
full explanation here
www.touregypt.net...

This is also obviously why the priests didn't leave details of the interiors lying around

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

The Egyptians soon learned that you can't ensure the safety of the Kings grave goods when you are putting them in a huge tomb. So they started creating hidden tombs instead
This is why there are three burials at Giza and 63 (that we currently know of) buried in hidden tombs in the valley of the kings.

The whole point of the pyramid was to ensure the kings luxurious afterlife, when it became clear the idea didn't work, they moved on to something that did.
full explanation here
www.touregypt.net...

This is also obviously why the priests didn't leave details of the interiors lying around

But what about the perfectly measured and aligned shafts located within the Great Pyramid that are angled upwards towards the side of the structure looking into the sky? If the explanation is that this was required for the Pharaoh's soul to enter the heavens after death, I can buy that. However, why wasn't this same feature applied to all the pharaohs' burial chambers in the new kingdom if it was so important? If the precision required to construct something so perfect was that important to their soul in the afterlife, how come we don't see the same feature elsewhere? If it was also constructed to keep grave robbers out, why go to all the trouble to build it to such precision when later in the new kingdom contractors said screw it, it's not like the pharaoh is going to measure this or anything? I can understand loss of technology over the millennia (similar to the fall of Rome and what came afterwards in Europe), but I just don't buy the idea that all of a sudden contractors in the new kingdom start doing super shoddy work compared to their ancestors because grave robbing or building to such precision went out of style,

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Gobekli Tepi is large, but it's no massive structure like the GP.

It got big because the buried it and rebuilt overit for years, creating the hill that contains it.

It's mostly dirt.

Hardly ground shaking. What is interesting about it is that people had to have been there for long time periods during an era when most people were nomads.

This is, of course, explained by the fact that the area was loaded with food sources.

Regarding the development of skills with stone. you need to understand that even the species preceding us was working with stone.

It's in our blood.

Or, will you posit no progress in stone working after 200,000 years of practice?

Harte

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

full explanation here
www.touregypt.net...

But what about the perfectly measured and aligned shafts located within the Great Pyramid that are angled upwards towards the side of the structure looking into the sky? If the explanation is that this was required for the Pharaoh's soul to enter the heavens after death, I can buy that. However, why wasn't this same feature applied to all the pharaohs' burial chambers in the new kingdom if it was so important? If the precision required to construct something so perfect was that important to their soul in the afterlife, how come we don't see the same feature elsewhere? If it was also constructed to keep grave robbers out, why go to all the trouble to build it to such precision when later in the new kingdom contractors said screw it, it's not like the pharaoh is going to measure this or anything? I can understand loss of technology over the millennia (similar to the fall of Rome and what came afterwards in Europe), but I just don't buy the idea that all of a sudden contractors in the new kingdom start doing super shoddy work compared to their ancestors because grave robbing or building to such precision went out of style,

Let me answer your questions with a question
Do you assume that the Kings at Giza and the Kings buried in the Valley of the Kings followed the same religion ?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join