It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decoherence And Consciousness: The Myth of Observer-Created Reality

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: marioonthefly

correct me if I'm wrong.

My pleasure. No, a 'measurement' does not require an artificial measuring device. A 'measurement' is simply an event that collapses a probability field.

When a tree falls in a forest, that's a measurement too

I hope you find the time to read the links in my posts.

Ok. I went through your last link. Thanks for that. Here's what I think. When it breaks down to bottom line...a measurement requires a receptor of information. It does not matter that the information is "out there"...in the ether...only when it is perceived by a receptor that is able to "decrypt" its signature....it becomes truly or partially measured. You may argue that such information may even be received by a "non-conscious" observer (from our point of view), be it an animal or a plant, but that starts to sound more like philosophical question than quantum mechanics one.

I feel that the information from the link you provided simply ignores the fact...that to even discuss all this...to debate..to read information and make conclusion as to what is...it always comes back to the source...the conscious observer. You simply cant have any of it...without the observer. Observer is first. Then the measurement of any kind.

It's like a film within a film...and you're in one. Unaware.

I hope that these drunken ramblings make any sense to you.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

a measurement requires a receptor of information. It does not matter that the information is "out there"...in the ether...only when it is perceived by a receptor that is able to "decrypt" its signature....it becomes truly or partially measured.

This is a terminological misunderstanding. You think — understandably — that a 'measurement' means that something is measured. But in this context, a 'measurement' is simply an event. Nobody has to be around to observe it, at the time of its occurrence or later.

You may argue that such information may even be received by a "non-conscious" observer (from our point of view), be it an animal or a plant, but that starts to sound more like philosophical question than quantum mechanics one.

Transfer of information is not necessary; only that information is created.

And yes, my friend, this is a philosophical question we are discussing. It is not a question in quantum mechanics, which is a well-understood, more or less exact science with innumerable technological applications.

edit on 20/6/15 by Astyanax because: of style.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join