It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if President Obama refuses to step down?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
With all the steps over the line what would happen to a president who refuses to leave?
I don't really know what could happen.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
With all the steps over the line what would happen to a president who refuses to leave?

Then he would probably be removed by force. Regardless, it's not going to happen.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

He won't.

However, if he didn't, it would be a constitutional crisis and he would be removed by the new administration.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I don't think he can legally do it and would likely be removed from office if tried. Though it seems I read somewhere about a clause of if martial law is in place he stays in power...likely I am wrong though. Oh, and I think there is another clause about him staying president if war breaks out and we are involved or something....again....I can't remember the specifics I had read a while back.
edit on 6/16/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

He'd be arrested. What else do you think would happen?

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yeah, yeah. The same was said about Bush 8 years ago. It was as ridiculous then as it is now. NO ONE would accept that.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It's already happened.

He gave his list of demands. . . and. . . well. . . .

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The real question is, why would anyone NOT want to step down after 8 years. The physical, emotional, and mental toll of being the President must be vast. Just look how much any President who holds office for 8 years ages in that short time frame. If I were Obama, I'd be counting down the days to step down. Then you get to retire to a cushy job on the public speaking circuit being paid millions so that people can hear you talk all the time.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
The real question is, why would anyone NOT want to step down after 8 years. The physical, emotional, and mental toll of being the President must be vast. Just look how much any President who holds office for 8 years ages in that short time frame. If I were Obama, I'd be counting down the days to step down. Then you get to retire to a cushy job on the public speaking circuit being paid millions so that people can hear you talk all the time.

Very good point.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Yeah, yeah. The same was said about Bush 8 years ago. It was as ridiculous then as it is now. NO ONE would accept that.

Good God was it ever! Nearly half of ATS was Chicken Littling with "I can feel it, I just KNOW Bush is going to declare martial law and refuse to leave the office." Instead we had arguably the most cooperative, smooth transition of presidencies in the country's history, with Bush spending an inordinate amount of time assisting Obama into the office in the months preceding the inauguration. I can only hope Obama is that helpful to Rand Paul.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Constitutional lesson: There is no such thing as a U.S. president stepping down. His successor is sworn in at a set time on a set date, and becomes the new president. Obama has no legal or constitutional say in the matter, except for his single vote in the November election.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Discussed some ten years ago on ATS, except insert "Bush" for everything of course.

Short answer: the Secret Service would remove him. Once his term is over, he's a tourist. The Detail supports his little adventure? His successor, the commander in chief, has the military.

Try to impose martial law? There's still two other branches of the government that can take action. And that presupposes the military will put the "martial" in martial law. Which I strongly, strongly doubt. Not for him, anyway.

Older topic: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Besides, he can't get his million dollars per "speech" payday until after he gets out. Then the bill comes due for all of the "favors" he did.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
"What if President Obama refuses to step down?"

Hmmm, this pops to mind.
I can actually see something similar play out.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
IMO, he's ready to leave ASAP.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
First off, the scale template model for this type of action has already been resolved in NYC. Bloomberg anyone?

Personally, I don't think the President would make such attempt. You can see he's cashing in all his favors to the oligarchs now.

link   
What if he PHYSICALLY refuses?
HOW far will progressive elements back him?
I didn't ask wether or not he would at all ,I want to know the process of stopping a coup.

link   

originally posted by: Aleister
There is no such thing as a U.S. president stepping down. His successor is sworn in at a set time on a set date, and becomes the new president.

This. A president doesn't have to "step down"... On Jan 21, he's not president anymore, no matter where he steps.

To leave the White House? He would be arrested like any other citizen, as he should be.
edit on 6/16/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

HOW far will progressive elements back him?
I didn't ask wether or not he would at all ,I want to know the process of stopping a coup.

Like I said, this happened 8 years ago. They were called Neocons back then though. It's a ridiculous premise.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

He would be removed by the Secret Service and Capital Police..

Never gonna happen, but that is what would transpire if Alice fell into the looking glass

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join