It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA School Districts lowers standards to let failing students graduate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
If you need a C to get into college I can see why they would only let students graduate with that. Not being able to get into college can really impact your future opportunities. If the student is absolutely determined to not go to college they can always drop out and get a GED instead. So I don't see anything wrong with holding them back a year or two if it gets them better grades. I was held back a year myself but I managed to get a regents diploma (needs an 85 or better on a regents exam).

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: MoreBeer
Can't fail anybody these days because someone will cry racism or discrimination.

What a joke this country is.

Idiocracy is encroaching faster and faster.

>i709.photobucket.com...

When you went to high school, if you got a D in a class at the end of the semester would they have failed you?

When I went to school a 60-69% WAS failing.

I don't believe you. The only times I've ever seen a D be a failing grade is in college and you need a C or better in one of your core classes for your major (you can still pass gen ed classes with a D though).
edit on 11-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Most definitely!

Same thing applied to college as well.

Why should we lower EVERYTHING to the lowest common denominator?

This will sure help our education standings versus other countries around the world.

Negative. A D is only failing in college for core college classes for your major. I passed a gen ed class with a D at my college, and I finished high school with a D in 12th grade English because I didn't do the senior project.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I call bs on anyone saying d's were failing grades when they went to HS.

I know when I graduated in 07 that wasn't the case and barry and the liberals weren't in the house yet.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Yeah....it is the case....you are saying the same thing I am. If they "pass" then they could get into whatever college accepts their "passing". If they fail then they can't get a diploma and get into any college. A "C" simply gets them into certain colleges.

Hell....I am surprised passing with a C gets people into college. It is disappointing that there are SO many that can't even get a C that they have to change the rules for it.

That is on the college accepting the person then. Every college reviews the kid's transcripts and ACT/SAT scores before accepting him or her (unless he or she goes to a community college or something). So if the college wants to take on the risk of accepting a student that barely passed high school, that is on them. The results of the student washing out will be on THEIR graduation records and they will have to account for it, not you or I.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
When I was in HS you needed a 65 or better to pass. So the bottom half of a D grade (60 to 64) would fail you. It's probably different in each state.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Exactly! I feel like everyone is just looking back at high school with rose tinted glasses or something. High schools have ALWAYS passed D students.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well we have to make sure breitbart is right, so selective memory will suffice.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
this the ethnic breakdown of the Los Angeles school district as of 2013......

African American/Black
8.5%

American Indian/Alaska Native
0.3%

Asian/Asian American
7.7%

Filipino
2.2%

Hispanic/Latino
64.6%

Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
0.4%

White
14.4%

Multiracial
1.1%

edit on 11-6-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I posted a non-biased source on page 1.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
How very progressive of them.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I know when I graduated in 07 that wasn't the case and barry and the liberals weren't in the house yet.

Nothing to do with political party worshipers! The failing of our educational system is by design by the globalist agenda. PAY ATTENTION!

Notice everything that is happening now and "progressing" has to do with "globalization"!

I really can't wait until it really happens!! Just so that the Church of D's and R's and all of their worshipers can finally suffer like those of us who have no say........

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Can't fail anybody these days because someone will cry racism or discrimination.

What a joke this country is.

Idiocracy is encroaching faster and faster.

>i709.photobucket.com...

When you went to high school, if you got a D in a class at the end of the semester would they have failed you?

When I went to school a 60-69% WAS failing.

I don't believe you. The only times I've ever seen a D be a failing grade is in college and you need a C or better in one of your core classes for your major (you can still pass gen ed classes with a D though).

Ok...If I can find them, I think my folks still have a lot of my school papers boxed in the attic at their house. I will take a pic and post one up of an "F" I got on a paper with the number grade beside it. I had a few over my high school days, especially in chemistry....not my strongest class.

Not sure about college....I went to a liberal arts college and they were more pass/fail type of system, especially when it came to comprehensive's, both written and oral, at the end of the 4 years. Had a few friends that didn't make it because of those....nothing would suck more than making it through all 4 years and not graduating simply because you couldn't remember how to write "pointer bubble sort" that you learned your first year, on a white board in front of 4 of your professors.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I think the insinuation is the "D" grades are actually tainted "F" grades.

Many things at "education" levels are fixed for a reason.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yea for more made up outrage, good to see the usual suspect not reading and using breitbart to try to push there agenda.

I give you guys f for the made up outrage.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I graduated in 95, and it was the case when I was in school.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I've just done some independent research on Georgia (which you've listed as your home state on your avatar), it appears that Georgia doesn't even have a D letter grade. So I retract my disbelief. Georgia just gives students who score below 70% an F.

That being said, I'd say Georgia is an exception to the rule. Most states have a D letter grade that ranges from 60-69%. At least all the states I lived in and attended public school (Pennsylvania, Indiana, Mississippi, Maryland). Food for thought, Georgia ranks the 3rd lowest in graduation rates. I wonder if requiring a passing rate of 70% or more factors into that. Though you could always celebrate since Georgia isn't lowering its standards like this school district in CA to pass more students, and their graduation rate IS rising, albeit very slightly.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I've just done some independent research on Georgia (which you've listed as your home state on your avatar), it appears that Georgia doesn't even have a D letter grade. So I retract my disbelief. Georgia just gives students who score below 70% an F.

That being said, I'd say Georgia is an exception to the rule. Most states have a D letter grade that ranges from 60-69%. At least all the states I lived in and attended public school (Pennsylvania, Indiana, Mississippi, Maryland). Food for thought, Georgia ranks the 3rd lowest in graduation rates. I wonder if requiring a passing rate of 70% or more factors into that. Though you could always celebrate since Georgia isn't lowering its standards like this school district in CA to pass more students, and their graduation rate IS rising, albeit very slightly.

LOL...I like the way you put that "I retract my disbelief". I started to doubt my memory myself when you called BS as I know you do your research so I started looking it up too.

Anywho....yes....GA is where I grew up and came back to. And yes, the GA public and private education sector is a lot better than when I was in grade school. It really depends on what area you live in, and many move to different areas to get their kids into a school. Some schools have a lotto as well, and there is a loophole that if you have a childcare provider that lives in the district you can get your kid in there as well.

Anywho.....neither here nor there.

Just seems to me that the more we accept failure the more failure we will achieve.....it is one of the biggest issues I have with parenting. My wife and I do not see eye to eye on how to handle the kids when they do something wrong. For instance, our boy has lost two lunch boxes this summer already. He and my oldest daughter go to day camps during the week. She has her lunch box at the house but is out of town with friends for the week so he is the only one going to camp. I made him use her pink sparkly lunchbox for lunch today because I refuse to buy another one for him. I explained to him it was a consequence of his actions....if he wants to use money he has earned for chores to buy another, that is fine, but he is using the pink sparkly one until then. If he loses that one then he has to buy two, one for him and another for our daughter.

The wife wants to go out and buy another so he isn't made fun of by other boys. I say let him get made fun of and he will remember his lunch box so it doesn't happen again.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

In that case, I made an assumption , but it was a poor assumption on my part. Granted I DO have experience in 4 different public school systems in 4 different states, and each of those school systems had a D letter grade. On top of that, it appears (as per the OP) that CA also has a D letter grade. So that's why I made it.

I understand your point about not promoting failure, but here we DO have a school district that hands out D letter grades. D letter grades AREN'T failing grades. The rule saying that students need a C letter grade on these college prep classes was a recent one within the last decade. Retracting it could just be seen as the administration repealing a failed policy. I mean after all, if a student has literally passed all of their classes, why is it fair to hold them back for not getting an even higher grade in a class that is supposed to prepare them for college (especially if they barely passed those other classes and aren't going to go to college anyways)?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

In that case, I made an assumption , but it was a poor assumption on my part. Granted I DO have experience in 4 different public school systems in 4 different states, so that's why I made it.

I understand your point about not promoting failure, but here we DO have a school district that hands out D letter grades. D letter grades AREN'T failing grades. The rule saying that students need a C letter grade on these college prep classes was a recent one within the last decade. Retracting it could just be seen as the administration repealing a failed policy. I mean after all, if a student has literally passed all of their classes, why is it fair to hold them back for not getting an even higher grade in a class that is supposed to prepare them for college (especially if they barely passed those other classes and aren't going to go to college anyways)?

That is kind of my point. What is the point of passing them? It is a school ranking thing for them. This decision had nothing to do with the well being of the kids. They failed. If any of them have a brain at all, they realize they failed and that the administration is simply adjusting the scale to make them feel better.

I am tired of everyone needing to feel better. Maybe it's time they should TRY harder. Life isn't all smiles and rainbows, and if that is how they are being raised to graduate then even with a "passing" D grade they are in for a world of hurt when they realize nobody else they run into will give a second thought to their rainbows of idealism and bliss.....

I mean the article said that some were graduating high-school at the age of 22.....TWENTY TWO!!!! That is madness. It's called a GED, why are they still at a school? Just a lot of stupid going around in that system it seems. I wonder what the education level of those making the decisions on this may be.....perhaps went through the same system....
edit on 6/11/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join