It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India heat wave kills thousands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
link

India is a place that knows heat. During May— the last month before the monsoon rains arrive to cool things down—temperatures can soar to 104°F (40°C) on average. Yes, this means that a day when high temperatures in say, the northern city of New Delhi, rise to only 102°F (39°C) would mean that temperatures were below average. It takes a truly abominable amount of heat for meteorologists there to call a period of hot temperatures an actual heat wave. But what has happened during the last several weeks has been beyond expectations, even for India.
Hit even harder, the Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana states of southeast India have observed temperatures soaring past 113°F (45°C). In the city of Titlagarh in the state of Odisha, temperatures reached 117.7°F (47.6°C)! Near the coast, the city of Ongole, in the state of Andhra Pradesh, high temperatures averaged 110°F (43.47°C) from May 24-30. Farther inland, in the state of Jharkhand, the city of Daltonganj averaged 115.6°F for the entire week of May 24-30, peaking at 117° (47.2°C) on May 27. For coastal cities, this was not a “dry heat:” humid air made the high temperatures even more unbearable and life-threatening. Even for India, this is extreme heat.
In the future, though, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), more frequent and intense heat waves in Asia (including India) will negatively impact vulnerable communities and increase mortality. In fact, it is likely that heat waves already occur more often now in Asia than they did in 1950. In a future with high carbon emissions, it is likely that a maximum temperature that occurs once every 20 years will at least double in frequency (to a 1-in-10-year event) by the end of the 21st century. Research focusing solely on India also concludes that heat waves will last longer, be more intense and occur more often in the future

and there's me complaining it's too hot today (mid 20's C) but i do come from Scotland originally

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Must be that Mini-Ice Age coming!

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

This could be the precursor of the El Nino that the fog watchers have been warning us about and this is the time of year that the subcontinent usually feels the force of the Monsoon, needless to say there are a few dry years for those south of the equator.

Poor old Bangladesh can't catch a break, if they aren't flooded or ravaged by earthquakes then they are in drought, I expect that there will be plenty of environmental migrants in the years to come.
edit on 11-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I wonder what the sulphur levels are in the atmosphere? In one coastal city I stayed in, whenever there was a cruise ship within three days of port, we would have these incredible sunsets (reds, oranges, velvet, purple, even rainbow clouds), and the temperatures would go up to 30C+. Then the heatwave would cool down.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Its murder. In a day an age where we're in space, even India is in space, and we have high tech, never mind that there is actually clean energy and no need to use fossil fuels even if conventional was used, ie India has ocean, wind, tide, wave and solar, never mind the cavitation and more exotic buried stuff. And there is NO EXCUSE FOR A COUNTRY TO BE MANAGED WITHOUT ADEQUATE SHELTER/HOMES/FOOD/COOLING/HEATING, WATER, PERIOD.

IT IS MURDER BY THE 1% AND NOT WITHOUT ENORMOUS KARMA! SINCE THEY PROMOTE KARMA SO MUCH TO THE MASSES, NAH WE'LL PASS AND RUN WITH PSYCHOLOGY, COUNSELING, FORGIVING SELF AND OTHERS, ITS YOU GUY'S KARMA.

MISMANAGING A COUNTRY AND ITS ASSETS TO NOT BENEFIT EVERYONE SO BODIES HIT THE GROUND AND EVEN THERE'S HOMELESS IS MURDER ONE, CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY AND TORTURE.

edit on 11-6-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Wow thats hot.....the hottest i have felt here is aus was 44 C and that was just unbearable,it has hit that temp a couple of times but only for one day then it cools....i just could not imagine extended days hitting those temps......yowsers ..

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

MISMANAGING A COUNTRY AND ITS ASSETS TO NOT BENEFIT EVERYONE SO BODIES HIT THE GROUND AND EVEN THERE'S HOMELESS IS MURDER ONE, CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY AND TORTURE.

Can a Country win the Darwin Award..?

If so, I think we have a Winner!

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This sounds about average for Phoenix Arizona. it gets to at least 118 every year...I was born here and lived here my entire life, and I'm STILL not used to it!

top topics

join