It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimpanzees found to drink alcohol using tools.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Well I was wondering which forum I should post this in.. I guess this one is as good as any.

Scientists studying chimpanzees in the Republic of Guinea have seen evidence of long-term and recurrent ingestion of ethanol by apes. The 17-year study recorded chimps using leaves to drink fermented palm sap. Some drank enough alcohol to produce "visible signs of inebriation". The study - published in the journal Royal Society Open Science - revealed their tipple of choice is naturally fermented palm wine, produced by raffia palm trees.
The chimps used drinking tools called leaf sponges - handfuls of leaves that they chew and crush into absorbent sponges, dip into the liquid and suck out the contents.

www.bbc.com...

Lots of species get drunk off of fermentation, but tool use to get hosed? Excellent.

edit on 10-6-2015 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Well since they are humans' closest primate cousins, we shouldn't be all that surprised that they figured out a way to enjoy drinking....look at us!! LOL

But to spend 17 years on a study for this -- well guess we all need to know if they are "social" drinkers or leaning more towards "drunks"

I mean, inquiring minds want to know, right??

Dr Catherine Hobaiter, from St Andrews University, said: "It would be fascinating to investigate the [behaviour] in more detail: do chimps compete over access to the alcohol? Or do those who drank enough to show 'behavioural signs of inebriation' have a bit of a slow day in the shade the next morning?"

Or at least their inquiring minds want to know...

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Well...

If anyone finds Boymonkey after reading this great thread please let me know...

I worry.

Kindest respects

Rod/aka Nibs

edit on 10-6-2015 by Nibbles because: Sig changed to be discrete

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

The article seems to say chimps like to differentiate between drinking booze and water - one a celebration the other necessity and they booze in groups safely up trees. I can only wonder if the researchers waited around to see if any fell out of their trees or nests.

Great for a laugh, but what exactly is the point of this research, presumably funded from somewhere, except to tell us that some animals like humans like a social booze-up. All they seem to have come up with is that chimps like to fall asleep after boozing, except one whom went off for what looked like an agitated swing through the trees for a bit before falling asleep. Umm!

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
Well since they are humans' closest primate cousins, we shouldn't be all that surprised that they figured out a way to enjoy drinking....look at us!! LOL

But to spend 17 years on a study for this -- well guess we all need to know if they are "social" drinkers or leaning more towards "drunks"

I mean, inquiring minds want to know, right??

Dr Catherine Hobaiter, from St Andrews University, said: "It would be fascinating to investigate the [behaviour] in more detail: do chimps compete over access to the alcohol? Or do those who drank enough to show 'behavioural signs of inebriation' have a bit of a slow day in the shade the next morning?"

Or at least their inquiring minds want to know...

Old word primates didn't have the means to conduct 17 year studies before us so called "intelligent" primates suddenly took over the world...

However, a little food for thought :

Enjoy.

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Nibbles

Sorry went out last night with the lads, drinking palm sap beer tasted #e but the company was good.
Whats the thread about?.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: Nibbles

Sorry went out last night with the lads, drinking palm sap beer tasted #e but the company was good.
Whats the thread about?.

Drunk old world primates apparently!

Hope you had a decent pie and chipe or kebab from the local chuck wagon?

have not been to a chuck wagon in yonks... Ohhhh how I miss the 80s :

Happy Alka Seltzer time.

What is Palm sap beer... a new thing in the UK? (been in France for over 25 years and I am posh since I discovered Cabernet!)

Warmest

Rod

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The gorillas were on form as usual always want to dance.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
But remember folks don't do stuff like this.

BTW it's a Chimp.

Poor bugger.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Just to throw this one in here I urge all to see.

An amazing story.
Heartbreaking but Nim loved to get drunk.
His longest signing sentence was "Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." guess he really wanted the orange lol.

Heck most animals that have the means to get off ones face do.
edit on 10-6-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   

All animals will get drunk if given a chance

Elephants birds Bigfoot

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Dont forget folks...

And this is coming from a primatologist...

We are all primates...

Kindest respects

Rod/aka Nibs

a reply to: boymonkey74

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Well, we clearly need to consider new drinking and climbing laws, chimps are people now you now.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Considering dolphins learned how to get high by biting a puffer fish just long enough to get high but not kill themselves, then pass the fish to the next pod member to do the same, like humans passing a joint, I must say I'm really not that surprised.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Considering dolphins learned how to get high by biting a puffer fish just long enough to get high but not kill themselves, then pass the fish to the next pod member to do the same, like humans passing a joint, I must say I'm really not that surprised.

Leave puffy fish out of this conversation please!

They choose their sexuality just like any other kind of animal or primate!

Kindest respects

Rod

new topics

top topics

join