It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why no fences between American houses?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I could have asked this in my previous homes thread but I think this deserves its own thread. Seriously, I dont know how Americans live without a fence between neighbours? How do you guys have backyard parties without worrying about strangers just walking across to your yard? How do you guys keep medium to big dogs - do you always have to have them tied up on a leash outside?
And do you have to worry about perverts taking down your girlfriends, daughters, wifes panties from the clothesline?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: croatianguy

That all depends on where you live in America. I've been places with fences. Where I am now they aren't needed because it's out in the middle of nowhere.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Those panty sniffers suck.

We have fences here. Usually 6-8' privacy fences. Double sided in most areas, so they are pretty on both sides.

Rabbit eared pickets made from cedar are the most common.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: croatianguy
I could have asked this in my previous homes thread but I think this deserves its own thread. Seriously, I dont know how Americans live without a fence between neighbours? How do you guys have backyard parties without worrying about strangers just walking across to your yard? How do you guys keep medium to big dogs - do you always have to have them tied up on a leash outside?
And do you have to worry about perverts taking down your girlfriends, daughters, wifes panties from the clothesline?

Where are you getting this information from? Most neighborhoods I've been in have fences. Cities not so much. The outlying suburbs though, they're definitely plentiful.
edit on 4-6-2015 by Passive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

No fences in my backyard! We get to know our neighbors.

But now that people from the south, California etc and another nasty states come moving into my neighborhood I always carry a gun in my front yard and backyard to make damn sure people know either be nice or get shot.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

These old people have called the cops on me mowing my lawn, playing with kids in front yard. And after nasty altercations with troopers over the years they stopped coming over.

in one week my neighbors called the state troopers for nonsense over 6 times

His wife is a nutcase and thinks every man on the street wants to rape her
edit on 4-6-2015 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Passive

originally posted by: croatianguy

Where are you getting this information from? Most neighborhoods I've been in have fences. Cities not so much. The outlying suburbs though, they're definitely plentiful.

Again I am just talking about the suburbs, and what I have noticed from American movies, news broadcasts, docos, whatever. So are you saying its only minority of suburbs in US without fences?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I live in America.

I can't see my neighbors yard without actively looking creepy

Same with them, though

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AK907ICECOLD

No fences in my backyard! We get to know our neighbors.

But now that people from the south, California etc and another nasty states come moving into my neighborhood I always carry a gun in my front yard and backyard to make damn sure people know either be nice or get shot.

So how do you have backyard parties and stuff? Do you just invite all your neighbours over too?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Nope we sell those online to Croatians . Lol

(Joke)

edit on 4-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

The stuff you see in movies and news isn't real. Most places have some type of fence.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Yes of course. But the difference is that we all take care of each other, rather than be hidden.

it's very hard to live in Alaska without asking for help from your neighbors families and friends.

What happens when your heater breaks at 40 below at 2 AM with little kids?

sometimes your life depends on the people that live around you
Looking my avatar you're looking at my backyard part of it anyhow

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

In ten arces I have 4 neighbors

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

I have lived in towns where there were no fences. It really all depends on where in the country you are talking about. You can use google earth to "walk around" and take a look.

In the places I have lived where fences were not common... yes dogs (and even cats!) must be on leashes... no, people do not walk through your yard [trespassing]... it is acceptable to see a neighbor sitting at a table in their yard and you to walk over and talk with them -but it is not ok for strangers to walk into the yard and do the same. If you are nice you mow the neighbor's yard and they mow yours, same goes for snow removal.

In places I have lived with fences... neighbors do not know each other a majority of the time. You never go uninvited into a fenced yard. Wooden fences and brick walls are the most anti social. Wire fences you can still socialize over.

Basically, if you can see your neighbor you are more likely to socialize with them. Out of sight, out of mind. It is sad that people have not figured this out.

Even with no fences people know their property boundaries and they are respected.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
It really depends upon the area and how old the house. The area I live in currently has some houses that lack fencing, but have 3 or 4 acre lots and plenty of trees and natural growth to serve privacy purposes. Other houses are lined up in typical 1/2 - 1 acre lots and most, if not all of those are fenced-in, including the house I reside it currently.

However the city I spent a year in, previous to living here, had older houses that were built around the turn of the century through the nineteen thirties. Those houses were very close together - with maybe fifteen to twenty feet between the physical walls of each house - and having no land to speak of. Literally tiny lots that were mostly filled by the house and driveway. A tiny back yard, about large enough for a small patio and a front yard of about 2-5 feet before hitting the sidewalk.

It was comical, honestly, to watch people break out their lawnmowers to mow maybe ten or twenty square feet of grass. It took longer for most of them to get the lawnmower around the house than it did for them to cut their "lawn".

The ONE house I have lived in that did not have a fence was a brand new house in a subdivision that the builder got shoddy and cheap with. The houses were decent enough, but the lots were not landscaped at all ( not even leveled ) and no fencing was present. The builder claimed this was done deliberate so that the new resident would have a "clean slate" to work with and would be able to personalize their yard to their own whims.

Translation: Landscape install is expensive and builders like money.

Within a year or two every house in that neighborhood, for the most part, had landscaping and fencing.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Volund

In the places I have lived where fences were not common... yes dogs (and even cats!) must be on leashes... no, people do not walk through your yard [trespassing]... it is acceptable to see a neighbor sitting at a table in their yard and you to walk over and talk with them -but it is not ok for strangers to walk into the yard and do the same. If you are nice you mow the neighbor's yard and they mow yours, same goes for snow removal.

In places I have lived with fences... neighbors do not know each other a majority of the time. You never go uninvited into a fenced yard. Wooden fences and brick walls are the most anti social. Wire fences you can still socialize over.

Basically, if you can see your neighbor you are more likely to socialize with them. Out of sight, out of mind. It is sad that people have not figured this out.

Even with no fences people know their property boundaries and they are respected.

Yes, living in West Australia where everyone has fences neighbours dont even know each other. People here get so sensitive when a neighbour can see like only a meter of your backyard. Everybody just wants their backyard 100% private.
But didnt you feel restricted at all when you were in your fenceless backyard? Like you were being watched all the time? Cause what I noticed is that you can see down the whole street of backyards, not just your immediate neighbours.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
People with dogs do tend to fence at least their back yards in in the US. In my neighborhood in MI, everyone that has dogs has a fenced back yard.

And no, people don't just wander through your yard looking for panties to snatch, who does that? Most people don't line-dry clothing any more anyway, electric or gas clothes dryers are pretty commonplace.

If someone's going to case a home, it's not going to be for the thongs on the line in the back yard. They'll be watching for the home to be unoccupied to burglarize it instead. More money in stolen electronics & jewelry than in stolen panties.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I guess it depends on where you live. For example, if you are from Chicago, Detroit, Gary (Indiana), etc, i guess you are never that far away from a fence!

But yeah, as others have said, don't believe films and tv - everything is "sanitised" for aesthetic value. reality is not the aim of the game for the entertainment industry.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Despite living in the country, I have a chain link fence surrounding the back yard of my property as I do not have as much acreage as some of my neighbors. It keeps my Rottweiler girls safe from unwanted guests and I guess vice versa. The farm next door keeps my girls entertained like a zoo. They mostly just observe though and don't bark as a good regal dog would do. I also have an in ground cement swimming pool which requires a fence to protect against anything outside the yard, specifically a child or neighbors pet, from wandering into the pool and possibly drowning.

By the way, Mate, I spent some wonderful time in Perth courtesy of Uncle Sam in the mid 80's. What I remember of it is special. We spent some time in the pubs courting the girls with the awesome accents and I actually had the great opportunity to spend some time with family of a gal willing enough to bring me home to meet the family. We were kids from different continents so it didn't plan out. However, you Aussies deserve a shout out for being friendly and welcoming. My experience in the pubs gave me respect for Australians when I witnessed some drunk US people getting out of hand and looking for a confrontation which they did receive. However, start no problem and you are welcome. Sorry to go off topic. Just had to shout out... Regards, J

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Those panty sniffers suck.

We have fences here. Usually 6-8' privacy fences. Double sided in most areas, so they are pretty on both sides.

Rabbit eared pickets made from cedar are the most common.

We had a politician that sniffed the chair of a lady politician after she got up off it in our state once - true story, but anyway I definitely would not feel safe without a fence around my house I know that. I freak out when I hear voices out in the street.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join