It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia Consiering Ban on Social Media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
There are plenty of links available but this is first one i found: link

RIYADH – The government of Saudi Arabia is thinking to put a ban over social media networks in order to curb spread of violence.

Dr Faiz Alshari, has said that government is banning those social websites which incite violence and spreads hatred in the society, and it is the constitutional right of the respective government to put a ban.

He said that government was considering to put a ban on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, in order to curb incitement of chaos and anarchy in the society, adding that many countries in the world had already banned these websites

Won't surprise me if they do but guess we'll have to wait and see.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

who has already banned the sites cited [ y-tube , twitter , facebook ] ?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   

I don't understand.

Why don't they just hire an army of shills to completely take over.

It's been done on plenty of sites in the US!

Not like they don't have money to do it.

Why ban when you can control to the point people just give up and leave.
edit on 3-6-2015 by BentBone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   

The wonders of the islamic world don't appear to be so hot after all. A perfectly happy and content society, especially with all their money which eases things along, wouldn't need censorship that would separate its people from the rest of the world and freedom to see other people's lives and thoughts, nothing would affect them.

God help the world if their wahabism ever spreads right around it, we would go back to the dark ages in a flash. Funnily enough though saudi shows that royalty and absolute power corrupt whether in the islamic world or not.

Good luck with stopping those sites, the cat is already out of the bag and running fast. Most people don't want to be told what to think and wear, they like to choose for themselves, especially the younger ones.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   
This exasperates me to no end:

...in order to curb incitement of chaos and anarchy in the society...

Chaos and anarchy are not synonymous, nor does one predict the other.

It's this oft repeated (sometimes deliberate, sometimes simply the result of associative programming) false equation that, in large part, gives anarchists a bad name and perpetuates erroneous conceptions of them.

Had to call it out. Not that it surprises me coming from these "people".

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: BentBone

It's been done on plenty of sites in the US!

The OP is regarding Saudi Arabia and you still manage to bring the US into the thread.....

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco I watched the internets own boy. The story of Aaron Swartz, yesterday. Believe me your not a million miles away from Saudi censorship. You certainly need to be vigilant

www.imdb.com...
en.m.wikipedia.org...
edit on 3-6-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Damn it.

I'll miss some of my favorite websites from there.

Isawanankle.com

Nothingformiles.com

humorless.com

dirtyjewtube.com

what will I do now?

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Hey Woodward

Im not in the US. My point was that no matter what the thread subject, Bentbone will always manage to demonise the US for something within the thread.

I'm surprised that he/she has kept their name this long. Normally these kinds of members last a month tops on ATS before changing their name to something else so they can carry on with their rhetoric once they have been called out!!

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Will they ban the terrorists that they fund with their oil money from using it too?

Doubt it.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
Damn it.

I'll miss some of my favorite websites from there.

Isawanankle.com

Nothingformiles.com

humorless.com

dirtyjewtube.com

what will I do now?

glib-fails.com?
edit on 3-6-2015 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: EA006

HA! Oh no, totally Glib no fail there.

Just don't see a tremendous loss here, while Saudi Arabia is being Saudi Arabia for the time being the Internet at best will get the "more modern kids" in deep crap anyway, it serves as "proof" to convict which in Saudia Arabia ... well not exactly an American misdemeanor.

I'm surprised they would throttle it, the best way to "get" those who might not conform would be to leave it on full steam. Maybe better off for some until some things "change"
edit on 3-6-2015 by criticalhit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
awho has already banned the sites cited y-tube , twitter , facebook ?

Well, China and Iran have put in permanent / comprehensive blocks on all three.

Basically, tin-pot countries that need to keep the population ignorant and controlled.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: BentBone

some say those shills are the exact reason they want to ban those sites. the shills may very well be the very ones inciting all this violence on the sites they wish to ban.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: pryingopen3rdeye

well heres something they need to remove too then CELL PHONES. They can stil text phone to phone right? bring back land lines only in saudi arabia,and dispose of all cell towers.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
They should do what USA did during the 99% uprisings !
edit on 5-6-2015 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
A sovereign nation choosing to do something that goes against something in western culture.

Again.

As much as I disagree with it, it would be imperialism if we were to interfere with what they want to do.

And imperialism is far worse than freedoms denied.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Personally, I think if they banned Twitter and Facebook-it probably wouldn't do anything to hurt their society. Heck, it might even help in some ways.

I do think it is ridiculous that they want to take Youtube away though. I have learned a lot of things over the years watching Youtube videos, and their society could benefit from all of the knowledge that's shared there. Of course there is some stupidity there, but that exists everywhere these days.

I wonder if they ever thought of this: If they ban all of these services, will it create anarchy or a civil war? Time will tell...

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
A sovereign nation choosing to do something that goes against something in western culture.

Again.

As much as I disagree with it, it would be imperialism if we were to interfere with what they want to do.

And imperialism is far worse than freedoms denied.

i completely agree with you, also i feel that interfering is exactly what we are doing when the media props up these stories about their decisions with such negative tones and turns it into a witch hunt against them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join