It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese dog-eating festival outrages foreigners

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

It's not about what they're eating.

Chinese have less regard for the animal than most in Western culture. Most of us, even those of us who understand the dog's purpose is to be eaten, don't want the animal's time in life to be miserable. The Chinese in general have little regard for that. This is the same culture that will cut the fin off a live shark and drop it back overboard to sink to the bottom and drown because it can't swim without fins.

Cruelty is wrong, that I agree with.

But look at the Masai, they stab the cows in the side of the neck just to get the blood to drink with the milk. And it used to be that Native American warriors would kill an animal to consume their still beating heart, raw. But then they would cut up the rest of it and use all parts of it, then thank the animal.

Bludgeoning animals is wrong also.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Besides, there are plenty of other things to demonize the Chinese for, such as their record of HUMAN rights abuses, which continues today.

Apparently the two go hand in hand. If a society perpetrates abuses against humans, than what chance does an animal have.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Just remember, there are a lot of Chinese... Even if the wealthy middle class and upwards all love dogs as pets, that still leaves over a billion lower class workers, peasants and the like who just love a Poodle steak-bake from their version of Greggs

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I thought the Chinese were now dog-crazy, as in pet ownership not as in tasty friend.

www.bloomberg.com...

Pets only for the wealthy eh, otherwise survival eh?
edit on 2-6-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I won't condemn the Chinese for doing this, but I can tell ya, I find it disgusting. Let them eat cake.

eta: I don't think dogs were "intended to be eaten" either. They evolved from wolves, and you certainly don't hear of anybody out hunting for "wolf meat".
edit on 6/2/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Anyone ever walked across the land border between Thailand and Malaysia?
Thai side, loads of scabby dogs running wild, cats hiding on rooftops.
Malay side, not a dog in sight but loads of feral cats.
Every time I've crossed it I've wondered...what happened to all the dogs?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Is what the Masai do any more than a primitive form of phlebotomy? They don't intend to kill/harm than animal. Those cows are wealth on the hoof. I've seen the practice and the cow doesn't even flinch. As for the Native Americans, something has to die pretty fast if you're going to get the heart before it stops beating.

I'm not arguing against eating or killing animals. I'm only arguing that from what I've seen of Chinese practices regarding animals, they are generally less concerned with the animal's welfare then in some other places. So they tend to be cruel.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I won't condemn the Chinese for doing this, but I can tell ya, I find it disgusting. Let them eat cake.

Dog Cake?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

eta: I don't think dogs were "intended to be eaten" either. They evolved from wolves, and you certainly don't hear of anybody out hunting for "wolf meat".
I agree. Having eaten dog myself, I can say I don't like the taste. But I also disagree with the taste of most carnivore animals.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

As I said earlier, it really only seems to be the preserve of the West with regards to "animal welfare", perhaps due to an abundance of food, wealth and the time/energy to actually care.

The rest of the world doesn't seem to share the same opinion and this is probably due to poverty, lax Government control and cultural practices.

While it would be nice to have everyone adhere to the same standards we do, these things will take time and cannot be imposed upon others overnight.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason
You know damn well that dog cake is adorable!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

As I said earlier, it really only seems to be the preserve of the West with regards to "animal welfare", perhaps due to an abundance of food, wealth and the time/energy to actually care.

The rest of the world doesn't seem to share the same opinion and this is probably due to poverty, lax Government control and cultural practices.

While it would be nice to have everyone adhere to the same standards we do, these things will take time and cannot be imposed upon others overnight.

Bingo. I'm sure these are the reasons.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Just to be clear....

This is about eating dogs considering the place dogs have in human evolution relationships AND the animal cruelty in China perpetrated against dogs and other animals.

If you think that's OK, then fine. If people must eat dogs (or any animal for that matter) then a modicum of animal welfare is desirable.

Horrific treatment of animals happens everywhere, not just in China. Have you seen the numerous scandals at American slaughterhouses? Or the horrific conditions caged chickens live in? Chickens, goats & cows also have their own personalities, as any person who's had them would tell you. Yet we kill millions of them a day, in horrid conditions.

"Humane treatment" is a very vague concept and varies greatly depending on the people involved. Especially when it's used to describe raising living creatures in preparation for killing them. I don't eat meat at all because I don't want to contribute to this. I also try my best not to kill insects because God gave them life as well. However, I don't have a problem with people killing animals as long as they don't waste it. That's also part of the cycle of life.

I don't mean to single you out so I apologize if it feels that way. But I do think it's hypocritical that people are outraged by this story, but have no problem with the millions of intelligent animals we kill here. And that's not even including the millions of animals killed at "rescue centers" every year.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

To be fair, India might have the most humane "animal welfare" laws, at least depending on the animal. It's illegal to kill cows in most Indian states, with both a fine & and imprisonment as punishment. And there was an ATS thread not too long ago about an Indian court ruling that caged birds should be allowed freedom, or something along those lines.

And the West isn't nearly as concerned with animal welfare laws as we let on. At least, not when you factor in the tens of millions of cattle, chickens, and pigs we kill every year; the ubiquitous "hunting seasons" & hunting licenses we allow for most forms of wildlife; the countless millions of fish & other seafood we kill every year; etc. And that doesn't go into our treatment of "pests" such as rodents, snakes, and invasive species, which we have no problems eradicating either. And let's not get started on insects, be they used as live bait or simply unwanted "intruders" in our gardens.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Killing an animal is different from being cruel to one.

But of course, YMMV.

However, even though the cows cannot be killed in India, did you know that the Indian street cattle often suffer from deplorable health despite not being killed? Which is more humane I wonder? Being left to wander in deplorable condition or being killed humanely.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Killing an animal is different from being cruel to one.

But of course, YMMV.

However, even though the cows cannot be killed in India, did you know that the Indian street cattle often suffer from deplorable health despite not being killed? Which is more humane I wonder? Being left to wander in deplorable condition or being killed humanely.

Can't really kill something "humanely" though. That's the problem most countries have with the death penalty.

And even if the animals have health issues, how's that any different from any other country? I can only imagine how many birds, squirrels, cats, or dogs have health issues here. To better drive home the point, let's use that same argument with humans.

However, even though humans cannot be killed in my country, did you know that my country's street people often suffer from deplorable health despite not being killed? Which is more humane I wonder? Being left to wander in deplorable condition or being killed humanely.

I get the point you're making. But I just want to show why some people won't agree with it.

EDIT: I have no clue what YMMV stands for
edit on 2-6-2015 by enlightenedservant because: why do you wanna know? huh?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Honesty I don't eat dog because of rabies.

Without a 'system' in place to monitor their health ain't no telling what people are eating disease wise.

Rabies is how the zombie apocalypse starts!

I'd rather eat a steak and get mad cow disease.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Just eat British dogs then, no rabies here on our island

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: neo96

Just eat British dogs then, no rabies here on our island

Noooo!

That's like eating old yeller!

Same reason I don't eat deer.

That would be like eating bambi!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Honesty I don't eat dog because of rabies.

Without a 'system' in place to monitor their health ain't no telling what people are eating disease wise.

Rabies is how the zombie apocalypse starts!

I'd rather eat a steak and get mad cow disease.

My uncle still eats squirrel.

People in the country eat all kinds of things. You can get rabies from rabbits, racoons, cats and squirrels. Like I said, I have eaten alligator, some people eat frog legs and turtles. Some people eat rattlesnakes also.

The one food I don't think I could eat is Balut, but some people do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join