It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University diversity officer keeps job despite contoversial tweets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Universi ty diversity officer keeps job despite ‘kill all white men’ tweet

A UNIVERISTY diversity officer who allegedly tweeted “kill all white men”, described white people as “trash” and attempted to ban “cis men” from a social gathering has managed to keep her job.

Bahar Mustafa, 27, a student union officer at the UK’s Goldsmiths University, has been embroiled in a months-long row over a series of alleged racist and sexist incidents, but maintains she cannot be racist because she is an ethnic minority woman.

It all began in February, when Ms Mustafa promoted an event on Facebook inviting only BME, or black and minority ethnic women. “[Please] invite loads of BME Women and non-binary people!!,” she wrote.

“Also if you’ve been invited and you’re a man and/or white PLEASE DON’T COME just cos i invited a bunch of people and hope you will be responsible enough to respect this is a BME Women and non-binary event only.”

Please read the article before commenting.

People who say that double standards do not exist in the area of social issues are only burying their heads in the sand. How did this woman become a diversity officer in the first place? Why do people excuse her feelings of hatred and intolerance? How can she argue that she is incapable of sexism or racism because she is an ethnic minority? Why is she permitted to keep her job despite clear evidence that she harbours hatred for white men? What gives her the right to exclude anybody based on sex/race from attending an event, isn't that wrong/illegal?

edit on 30/5/2015 by Dark Ghost because: formatting

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Jeez, she sounds like a lot of fun huh? Any odds that her walls are covered with posters of Mandela, MLK and Che Guevara? Then again, they probably have too many testicles between them. Maya Angelou to balance out the balls?

“Also if you’ve been invited and you’re a man and/or white PLEASE DON’T COME just cos i invited a bunch of people and hope you will be responsible enough to respect this is a BME Women and non-binary event only.”

Promoting diversity through segregation. Yay! Wait, what??!

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
Why is she permitted to keep her job despite clear evidence that she harbours hatred for white men? What gives her the right to exclude anybody based on sex/race from attending an event, isn't that wrong/illegal?

You oughta read up on exactly how federal government policies shape the definition of discrimination against white males. The only protections a white male has against discrimination are based on age and sexual orientation ... period.

Sorry, it's patently unfair, but that's the way it is.

ETA: Apologies. My comments are specific to the USA.
edit on 3052015 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
This just reinforces my view that you cannot have people integrating in UK society when people like Bahar Mustafa are orchestrating events. I am a strong believer that reverse racism, sexism (or anything) is not a solution to a problem, but part of the problem by deepening difference.

If Bahar Mustafa was a white guy and said "no black and ethinics (etc)", he would have been pilloried and abused for racism. He would have lost his job.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Believing she's not a racist is part of her and the school's problem. There is no such thing as reverse discrimination, a handy term used by people who want to continue the culture of racism.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Hope a gang of 50 white male skin heads turn up to her event and urinate all over the carpet!

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
What a disgusting POS.

if she was white she would been terminated the day tweet was discovered.

Diversity for racist blacks like her does not include whites.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Alright I'm gunna play armchair psychiatrist with this chick.

My conclusion. She dated a white guy once. he dumped her. She hates all white guys now.

Her psychosis could literally be that simple.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: MoreBeer
What a disgusting POS.

Funny thing is if you look at a photo of her she looks white.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
This just reinforces my view that you cannot have people integrating in UK society when people like Bahar Mustafa are orchestrating events. I am a strong believer that reverse racism, sexism (or anything) is not a solution to a problem, but part of the problem by deepening difference.

If Bahar Mustafa was a white guy and said "no black and ethinics (etc)", he would have been pilloried and abused for racism. He would have lost his job.

As an ally and social justice person, I agree with you 100%. This is the kind of stuff, behavior, and attitudes that are turning away people from the "social justice" movement, including even old allies like myself.

" I am a strong believer that reverse racism, sexism (or anything) is not a solution to a problem, but part of the problem by deepening difference." Yup, I am with you. Two wrongs don't make a right. racism, bigotry, or prejudice against whites or males is not only offensive and wrong but not constructive in the slightest.

I get so pissed off by the argument "minorities can never be racist and women can never be sexist." It's prima facie ridiculous.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What the hell is a "diversity officer" anyway. We need "diversity" to be enforced now? What a sick joke.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

originally posted by: MoreBeer
What a disgusting POS.

Funny thing is if you look at a photo of her she looks white.

She looks mixed.

Understandable why she is so filed with hate. She completely loathes half of being.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I completely agree.

This woman was reported to the police, en mass. Nothing was done about it.

There was a no-confidence petition. Not enough people signed it. They had the chance to but did not. That speaks volumes. Bear in mind this is the country with a majority Tory government.

# double standards, but if nobody does anything about them when given the chance to, and if the authorities ignore them, then they all deserve everything thats coming to them.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Firefly_
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I completely agree.

This woman was reported to the police, en mass. Nothing was done about it.

There was a no-confidence petition. Not enough people signed it. They had the chance to but did not. That speaks volumes. Bear in mind this is the country with a majority Tory government.

# double standards, but if nobody does anything about them when given the chance to, and if the authorities ignore them, then they all deserve everything thats coming to them.

As to your last sentence, all it will do is actually slow the goals that they want.

So, even from a minority social justice empowerment point of view, by projecting one's own anger on to random whites, or males, and making excessive statements about all whites or males (such as only whites have ever oppressed anyone; Only Whites can be racists or bigoted, etc), instead of aiding the goals of whites and males helping the cause and working hand in hand with disadvantaged communities it actually turns off many of them. It inhibits their ability to be strong allies.

I say this as someone that has worked in social justice, studied it, has several degrees related to it. With situations like the one in the op, it is taking all of my might just to override my anger and disgust and continue being an ally. I choose to do so because I know that despite there being excesses, and people within the movement that are taking it to an offensive extreme, there are also those who are not and there are very real issues such as racism, poverty, effects of historical oppression, etc.

But someone I spoke to at a bar a while back, a NY lawyer who also was familiar with such topics, said "if you as an ally and educated proponent of social justice are turned off by these kinds of situations, imagine those people who AREN'T allies, aren't educated on social issues, and so on. They will be completely turned off."

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

"Diversity through segregation" is exactly right. That is what is happening.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

It's beyond ridiculous that she hasn't been fired for being a blatant racist, and sexist as well. If the university keeps her in that position, they have no credibility. They should not need a petition to can her, either!!

Even more unreal is how so many are convinced that only certain people can be racist.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
These marshmallow people have been indulged and humoured for far too long, that's how they got to be the way they are. Someone needs to tell them to shut up and perhaps slap them in the face a few times.

top topics

join